20 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

during the past two seasons many rams fans pleaded for more 12-personnel use and, apparently, mcvay listened.

the 2020 rams finished the year ranked 4th in 12-personnel usage rate, employing 2-tight end sets on 29% of their plays (vs a league average of just 20%).... last year the rams ranked 11th with a 21% rate, which was also above the league average.

prior to 2020 and 2019 the rams ranked rock bottom in 12-personnel usage, they were a 3+ wr team and ran 11-personnel (3 wr sets) more than anyone else in the league.

of course the flipside to ranking high in 12-personnel usage is ranking lower in 3+ wr sets - in 2020 the rams ranked middle of the pack in 11-personell usage at 65%, down from the 92% usage rate they posted during their 2018 super bowl run, when they ranked 3rd in offensive scoring.

you have to wonder how much of an impact taking a third wr off the field so often in 2020 and 2019 (compared to 2017 and 2018) had on goff's numbers, and the rams drop in offensive scoring, especially when you look at the number of snaps woods and kupp played compared to the number of snaps the rams "deep threats" played, in other words it would appear that woods and kupp were on the field quite a bit when the rams were in 12.

and if that's really the case, it would go a long way in explaining goff's drop in average depth of pass over the last two seasons, especially given the rams hi-lo pass concepts, i.e. if woods and kupp were often the two wr on the field when the rams ran 12-personnel, that would mean that the first read in the hi-lo concept wouldn't be a deep guy, the third wr (as was the case in 2017 and 2018), it would be either woods or kupp, two possessions guys that run shallow to intermediate routes....when i get a chance, when i have some time to kill, i'm going to take a look at the all-22 to see if kupp and woods were on the field a lot when the rams were in 12, should be interesting.

anyway, fans got a lot of 12-personnel in 2020, 4th highest rate n the league, were we not entertained? i wasn't, not overall.

02.png

by PARAM
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Interesting stuff with some valid questions. BUMP ^^^^^^^^^^

by ramsman34
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

As much as I clamored for more 12 - to help the OL mostly but also to get the TEs involved between the numbers - it didn’t work out as I had hoped. Not sure why in the pass game. Seemed to help the run blocking at times.

by snackdaddy
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:As much as I clamored for more 12 - to help the OL mostly but also to get the TEs involved between the numbers - it didn’t work out as I had hoped. Not sure why in the pass game. Seemed to help the run blocking at times.

Watching Brady operate with decent protection is frustrating. Why can't our line protect like that? Are they all that bad?

by ramsman34
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

snackdaddy wrote:Watching Brady operate with decent protection is frustrating. Why can't our line protect like that? Are they all that bad?

Compared to TBs? Ya they are that bad or not nearly as good. And I don’t care what PFF stats say. Our short passing game covered up a lot of OL issues. Like weakness on the interior.

by snackdaddy
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Compared to TBs? Ya they are that bad or not nearly as good. And I don’t care what PFF stats say. Our short passing game covered up a lot of OL issues. Like weakness on the interior.

A lot of people are saying we need a running quarterback. We do if the line remains bad. But we're seeing what a guy who isn't mobile can do with a good line. We know how good Goff can be when he has time. We know how bad he can be when he doesn't. Instead of focusing so much on finding that franchise quarterback who can run, maybe focus on building a good line. I think finding that quarterback is more difficult. We had that good line for a couple years and ended up in the Superbowl with a 13 win season.

by aeneas1
3 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

rams pass attempts with 3+ wr on the field:

2020 - 506
2018 - 647

rams pass attempts with 2 or fewer wr on the field:

2020 - 136
2018 - 29

by aeneas1
3 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:A lot of people are saying we need a running quarterback. We do if the line remains bad. But we're seeing what a guy who isn't mobile can do with a good line. We know how good Goff can be when he has time. We know how bad he can be when he doesn't. Instead of focusing so much on finding that franchise quarterback who can run, maybe focus on building a good line. I think finding that quarterback is more difficult. We had that good line for a couple years and ended up in the Superbowl with a 13 win season.

moreover both styles of qb can benefit from good oline play, good pass pro play... i'm also a confirm believer that coaching, that x's and o's, can help an oline play tremendously, can put the online in a position to succeed, which i didn't see enough of in 2020 from the rams.

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

snackdaddy wrote:A lot of people are saying we need a running quarterback. We do if the line remains bad. But we're seeing what a guy who isn't mobile can do with a good line. We know how good Goff can be when he has time. We know how bad he can be when he doesn't. Instead of focusing so much on finding that franchise quarterback who can run, maybe focus on building a good line. I think finding that quarterback is more difficult. We had that good line for a couple years and ended up in the Superbowl with a 13 win season.

Good plan.

by PARAM
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Good plan.

Yeah, the way I've always heard it is get *that* franchise QB and then you better protect him. Geez, what do you suppose they meant? You can have a franchise QB but unless you protect him it's a waste? Or, even franchise QBs need good protection? Who'd have thunk that?

• 1 / 2
20 posts Apr 18 2024