75 posts
  • 2 / 8
  • 1
  • 2
  • 8
 by HopHead Ram
1 month ago
 Total posts:   1329  
 Joined:  Jul 21 2016
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

Somebody please tell me what I am missing with Morris as the DC. I just don't see it. What is it about him that has you excited? Was it that feared Atlanta Defense that finished 19th? I would rather one of our internal guys get the nod and build upon what was implemented last year. Just having AD and JR on your defense isn't enough. If you don't scheme for them to succeed , we may get some decent individual play from them but the supporting cast will suffer.

 by Kid Charlamagne
1 month ago
 Total posts:   406  
 Joined:  Aug 25 2016
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

There are openings every year so clearly whatever criteria they’re using needs revising. The search area gets wider and wider, but they still can’t find any candidates, you used to have to be a coordinator with nfl experience but not anymore. Reid and McVay have both sent several guys into head coaching jobs and none of them called plays and it’s not any better in college. We have to remember that professional and college sports were segregated until not that long ago and there were rational explanations all along the way.

 by aeneas1
1 month ago
 Total posts:   15940  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
RFU Survivor Champ

Kid Charlamagne wrote:There are openings every year so clearly whatever criteria they’re using needs revising. The search area gets wider and wider, but they still can’t find any candidates, you used to have to be a coordinator with nfl experience but not anymore. Reid and McVay have both sent several guys into head coaching jobs and none of them called plays and it’s not any better in college. We have to remember that professional and college sports were segregated until not that long ago and there were rational explanations all along the way.

yep, and the notion to give it a few more years to see how it plays out doesn't fly imo, the article i posted was from two years ago and it's just as bad, or worse even, now, with staley being exhibit a.

 by moklerman
1 month ago
 Total posts:   7586  
 Joined:  Apr 17 2015
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I have yet to see any proof that ANYONE is being denied a job because of their skin color. The NFL is all about equality of opportunity. Do a good job and you will find a job. Show me the young, black coordinator that had the #1 defense, or offense or special teams that was denied an interview because of his skin color.

An inequality inout come does NOT mean an inequality of opportunity. And even if equality of outcome was the goal, what percentage would be acceptable? Estimates are that 70% of NFL players are black. Should we be writing articles about how unbalanced that is? Or should we let the best players play? I mean, 76% of the US population is white so we must need to balance those books, right? I mean, that's the same argument, isn't it?

I'm beyond sick of this race-baiting bullshit. There are minority owners, minority GM's, minority HC's, etc. NONE of them are being refused opportunities or jobs because of their skin color. The NFL doesn't have a problem. They are the most socially conscious business out there and then continually bend over backwards to encourage and promote minorities. Anyone that doesn't see that just has an agenda. The NFL LOOOOVES minority hires. Whether it's black, brown, yellow...women. They WANT that. It's ludicrous to even suggest that black coaches are being held back because of their skin color. If they aren't getting jobs or opportunities, it's because they just aren't as good.

 by AvengerRam
1 month ago
 Total posts:   6306  
 Joined:  Oct 03 2017
Israel   Longwood, FL
Moderator

To review... the Chargers hired an African-American HC. After two winning seasons, and one playoff appearance (one win), he had two consecutive losing seasons, and was fired. They then hire Staley.

This is evidence of racism (or some nebulous concept of “white privilege”) in HC hiring decisions?

 by Haden
1 month ago
 Total posts:   1570  
 Joined:  Sep 06 2016
United States of America   Spokane, WA
Pro Bowl

The topic is rubbish.

 by max
1 month ago
 Total posts:   4387  
 Joined:  Jun 01 2015
United States of America   Fairfield County, CT
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:To review... the Chargers hired an African-American HC. After two winning seasons, and one playoff appearance (one win), he had two consecutive losing seasons, and was fired. They then hire Staley.

This is evidence of racism (or some nebulous concept of “white privilege”) in HC hiring decisions?


I get it. There are two sides to this. The NFL bottomline is about meritocracy. Teams want to win (for the most part). But at the league level they are sensitive to the race issue.

There are people who will push race as hard as they can and look at almost every opportunity that isn't filled by a minority candidate as proof that minorities are being discriminated against. That's fine. It's fine to push an agenda hard when it's an important issue, even to an extreme.

The owners know they need to consider race in their job hunts. But winning takes precedence. The fact that minority QBs like Mahomes, Watson, and Wilson are at the top of the QB list, and that every owner wishes they had one of them, means that winning is taking precedence, and race discrimination is not part of it.

 by St. Loser Fan
1 month ago
 Total posts:   7050  
 Joined:  May 31 2016
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

How long before this thread gets locked?

 by aeneas1
1 month ago
 Total posts:   15940  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
RFU Survivor Champ

not seeing the issue is not wanting to see the issue, it's glaringly evident... the question is how to fix it, or how to muster the commitment to fix it?

 by St. Loser Fan
1 month ago
 Total posts:   7050  
 Joined:  May 31 2016
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:not seeing the issue is not wanting to see the issue, it's glaringly evident... the question is how to fix it, or how to muster the commitment to fix it?


There no way to fix it and far too many people don’t see it as a problem.

  • 2 / 8
  • 1
  • 2
  • 8
75 posts Mar 07 2021