8 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by 69RamFan
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   3171  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Only if Next Gen could put this out on a weekly basis....

Compared to PFF.... this is a more better stat IMO

Win Rate.

This is the reason why we lost against GB... especially with AD playing with an injury

On this stat, they have the best five players on the top ten at each position on the OL...

They were missing one player due to injury during the playoffs, but still they have four of the best on the top 10...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/299 ... e-rankings

by 69RamFan
3 years 2 months ago
Superstar

Just to add,

AD was ranked 1st in the pass rush win rate for DT....

SJD was ranked 5th in the run stop win rate for DT....

by ramsman34
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

The eyes don’t lie. Our interior blocking needs serious improvement. I want to see what Anchrum has to offer at OG. The rest of the guys can either not be re signed, let go, left to compete for back up spots. We need new LG, OC, RG, developmental depth at both LT and RT.

by aeneas1
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

they also rank the rams oline 7th best in pass block win rate and 19th in run block win rate so i'm not sure that just how much that matches the eye test, at least my eye test.

by /zn/
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:they also rank the rams oline 7th best in pass block win rate and 19th in run block win rate so i'm not sure that just how much that matches the eye test, at least my eye test.

Depends on the defense. Some top 10 defenses the Rams OL handled just fine. Others give them fits.

The fit-givers include SF, the Jets, and Green Bay.

I don't count Miami because IMO that game was just offensive approach--they could have run on them but didn't.

Seattle attacked the Rams OL in their 2nd game. Rams handled them in game 1 and in the playoff game.

I don't know the kind of specifics one would get from watching the all 22 but it's defenses that line up and make a concerted effort to attack and maul the interior OL.

by 69RamFan
3 years 2 months ago
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:Depends on the defense. Some top 10 defenses the Rams OL handled just fine. Others give them fits.

The fit-givers include SF, the Jets, and Green Bay.

I don't count Miami because IMO that game was just offensive approach--they could have run on them but didn't.

Seattle attacked the Rams OL in their 2nd game. Rams handled them in game 1 and in the playoff game.

I don't know the kind of specifics one would get from watching the all 22 but it's defenses that line up and make a concerted effort to attack and maul the interior OL.

The teams the RAMs OL have fits with,,, are teams that have those big strong DT that push our pocket right up the middle...

Basically we need a power Center... and possibly a power Guard.... that can hold the pocket and not get shoved back...

by moklerman
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

A QB can have a positive effect on an OL as well as a negative one. While our OL may not be loaded with road-graders, they did manage to provide a pretty healthy running game this year. They also provided pretty good pass pro, statistically speaking.

So, they are not ideally suited to handling heavy pressure up the middle. Do we throw the rest that they do do well away or try to find a QB that can get them off the hook more often? I mean, would the pressure up the middle be the same problem if the defense didn't "know" where the QB was going to be and couldn't likely escape from?

I think Wolford showed that a little mobility can mask the occasional OL breakdown. Get an NFL sized QB who provides something similar with his legs and maybe we don't have to have the huge overhaul? LT, G, C, G, WR or QB?

As has been talked about before, Goff is more well thought of than other guys but do the stats bear that out? For example, someone suggested Gardner Minshew as a possible cheap, comparable, needs a change of scenery replacement for Goff if the Rams move on. Certainly not a sexy pick but statistically, Minshew has actually out passed Goff the last two years and has much better mobility/escapability. He's also got plenty of experience and should be pretty cheap and willing to reestablish career under a guy like McVay.

So, if they decided to trade away Goff, left all else equal and brought in Minshew, would there really be a decrease in wins over the last couple of years?

by 69RamFan
3 years 2 months ago
Superstar

^^^^^

Most teams have won with Pocket QBs with outstanding OL going all back the way since 1999 or longer...

Fix the OL and get an over the top WR... then Goff will look outstanding again...

So by you're statement in not fixing the OL,,, we would be in the same boat...

There was a reason why they Paid Goff all the money from the get go,,, and I'm sure McVay signed off on it...

The key is fixing the OL... and getting a speedy WR....

• 1 / 1
8 posts Apr 18 2024