54 posts
  • 1 / 6
 by aeneas1
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

pff ranked the rams oline, pass rush and secondary top 3 for 2020.... pass rush and secondary, sure, who wouldn't, but the oline?

not only does top 3 for the oline not come remotely close to squaring with what most of us saw on the field, but it doesn't even seem to come remotely close to squaring with the grades and rankings that pff gave each rams olineman.

only 2 rams onlinemen ranked in the top 10 overall, none in the top 5, but that's good enough for a top 3 unit? moreover look at the "overall" grades, presumably a product of combined pass pro and run blocking grades/rankings....blythe ranks 26th in pass pro and 10th in run blocking which, in pff's world, makes him the 10th best center of 2020? um ok.

anyway, that said, at least the pass pro rankings seem to make sense, all average at best save for whit, which does square with what most of us saw on the field.

2020 pff rankings - rams oline:

00.png

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I'm assuming that PFF ranks OTs against OTs, OGs against OGs, and Cs against Cs. If so - given that there are only 32 starting centers in the NFL (as opposed to 64 OTs and 64 OGs), Blythe's pass protection ranking is the biggest red mark for me on this list. He is a guy I'd like to see replaced (and he's a UFA, so the alternative is giving him a new contract) with a rookie. I think we can get a better player by using our second round pick to address this issue.

The rest (apart from Whit, who is our LT if he wants to be for another year) the others are replaceable. I'd like to see some competition brought in.

by HellRam
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   436  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Me and 84 got into quite the debate over this one on anouther site.

I mentioned the same. The data correlations did not add up. Also, considering its a passing league. I would pressume pass blocking should take premium in overall rankings.

Whitt was the only player to grade abover average in pass pro per PFF. Yet we have the 3rd best oline? Odd.

They had GB and CLE ahead of Rams. But really teams like the Saints, Colts, Titans, Bucs have significantly better lines then the Rams.

by actionjack
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   3934  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

PFF rankings are not always a great measure.

The have Lemarcus Joyner as a top 5 safety. Ask any Raider fan if they think that is accurate.

by HellRam
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   436  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

actionjack wrote:PFF rankings are not always a great measure.

The have Lemarcus Joyner as a top 5 safety. Ask any Raider fan if they think that is accurate.

They also have Willams rated higher then Ramsey.

I use to like PFF, a lot actually. But they seem to be getting worse. They're all over place these days.

by Ramsdude
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

HellRam wrote:They also have Willams rated higher then Ramsey.

I use to like PFF, a lot actually. But they seem to be getting worse. They're all over place these days.

Agreed.
It's getting harder to follow them. I will trust my own eyes to make my decisions.👁👁

by 69RamFan
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   3169  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

I've posted plenty of times on my other site, and to some occasion on here....

PFF is a joke, especial grading players....

That site doesn't have the knowledge of what an OL is suppose to do as far as blocking assignments.

by Haden
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2132  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

With the exception of Big Whit, those a disgraceful pass blocking grades for our line. No wonder Goff has zero time to set for a deep drop. I think we need more than a center! I sure miss Saffold!!!

by aeneas1
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

by Elvis
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Might need a grain of salt or two:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020 ... e-rankings

3. LOS ANGELES RAMS
It is safe to say that the Rams got the bounce-back season they badly needed from their offensive line following the disaster that was the 2019 season for Los Angeles up front.

There really wasn’t a whole lot of movement from the Rams this past offseason to add to the group, so the change centered around improvement from the players who were already on the roster. Andrew Whitworth improved his PFF grade by 16 points before his injury, while Austin Blythe’s and Austin Corbett’s grades each jumped nearly 20 points. Those improvements paled in comparison to Rob Havenstein’s jump from a 50.9 PFF grade in 2019 to 80.0 heading into this year’s postseason.

As a result, Jared Goff has been pressured on fewer than 30% of his dropbacks after that number sat at 36% in 2019. That remains one of the biggest keys to this offense moving forward, given Goff's career clean pocket vs. pressure splits.

• 1 / 6
54 posts Apr 16 2024