6 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by aeneas1
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

it appears that the monsters of the midway have picked up right where they left off last season by continuing to field a stingy-ass defense.... last year the bears allowed an average of just 18.8 offensive points per game, this year it's a lowly 19.5.

in the 22 games they've played since the 2019 season, the bears have allowed a passer rating over 100 just twice, and more than 27 offensive points just once.

against the seven top 10 scoring offenses they've faced, they've allowed an average of just 22.4 offensive points, while keeping those ranked outside of the top 10 to a meager 17.3 per game average.

the good news is the bears offense has pretty much sucked, it ranked 29th last year in scoring and ranks 26th this year headed into week 7 - in fact the bears have lost a third of the games in which they've held opponent offenses to under the league scoring average, i.e. their defense got the job done but the offense failed... with trubiskly under center this year the bears offense averaged 22 points per game, with foles under center it's been 21 per game.

bears defense, 2019-2020:

02.png

by PARAM
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

So do we:

a) stay more committed to the run to keep their offense off the field

or

b) pass like hell to give their offense more opportunities to screw up?

I don't really care how we get it done. If we can win 19-10 I'll take it.

by snackdaddy
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Their offense might suck. But our defense does not play well in the first half. If they get out to an early lead its gonna be tough to play catch up against that defense. The way a hobbled 49er defense shut us down does not give me confidence.

by PARAM
3 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

If the Rams play their game on both sides of the ball and the Bears play their game on both sides of the ball, the Rams should win. Our defense is statistically as good as theirs, if not better. Our offense is clearly better than theirs. This game shouldn't really be a battle. But it probably will be.

by aeneas1
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

i'd love to think our defense was as good as theirs but i find that to be a very tough sell.... the bears defense has faced the 9th ranked strength of offense schedule, including the 2nd and 3rd ranked scoring offenses, while 4 of their 6 games have come against offenses ranked 14th or better in scoring, whereas the rams defense has faced the 28th ranked strength of offense schedule.

i'm with snack, definitely don't want to have to play catchup with these guys, not the way they've been playing defensively.

by PARAM
3 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:i'd love to think our defense was as good as theirs but i find that to be a very tough sell.... the bears defense has faced the 9th ranked strength of offense schedule, including the 2nd and 3rd ranked scoring offenses, while 4 of their 6 games have come against offenses ranked 14th or better in scoring, whereas the rams defense has faced the 28th ranked strength of offense schedule.

i'm with snack, definitely don't want to have to play catchup with these guys, not the way they've been playing defensively.

I hear ya. All I'm saying is fortunately for us, our D isn't facing Green Bay and their D isn't facing the Red...WFT.

• 1 / 1
6 posts Apr 18 2024