RAMS FANS UNITED - NEWS FLASH
WEEK 10 IS HERE. GET YOUR PICKS IN.

RFU Survivor Game: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12790

RFU Pick 5: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10989
CLOSE
30 posts
  • 3 / 3
  • 1
  • 3
 by moklerman
1 month ago
 Total posts:   7198  
 Joined:  Apr 17 2015
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

So, does Fitz or Alex Smith have the more unfortunate career?

 by Hacksaw
1 month ago
 Total posts:   18150  
 Joined:  Apr 15 2015
United States of America   AT THE BEACH
Moderator

moklerman wrote:So, does Fitz or Alex Smith have the more unfortunate career?

Smith suffered a terrible injury. Unfortunate.
Fitz can't hold his starting job, even here. Unfortunate.

So which is the better QB? Smith did miss 2 seasons of his prime.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has started at least one game for seven NFL franchises throughout his 14-year career namely, the Rams, Buccaneers, Cincinnati Bengals, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, New York Jets and the Houston Texans. He has an estimated net worth of $24 million.
Fitzpatrick has earned a little over $58 million in cumulative salaries throughout his 14-year NFL career thus far. The last contract that he signed was a one-year $3.3 million deal with the Buccaneers in 2018.
The biggest contract that Fitzpatrick signed was a 6-year $59 million deal with the Buffalo Bills which he penned in 2011. This included a signing bonus of $10 million which resulted in Fitzpatrick making $13.22 million in salaries alone that year.

Alex Smith has a net worth of $55 million dollars. Alex Smith has earned his net worth as a starting quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League.
Alex Smith signed a 4 year, $94,000,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including a $27,000,000 signing bonus, $71,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $23,500,000.

Sooo, 'unfortunate' doesn't seem like the proper choice of words. Fortune comes to mind.

 by moklerman
1 month ago
 Total posts:   7198  
 Joined:  Apr 17 2015
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Smith suffered a terrible injury. Unfortunate.
Fitz can't hold his starting job, even here. Unfortunate.

So which is the better QB? Smith did miss 2 seasons of his prime.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has started at least one game for seven NFL franchises throughout his 14-year career namely, the Rams, Buccaneers, Cincinnati Bengals, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, New York Jets and the Houston Texans. He has an estimated net worth of $24 million.
Fitzpatrick has earned a little over $58 million in cumulative salaries throughout his 14-year NFL career thus far. The last contract that he signed was a one-year $3.3 million deal with the Buccaneers in 2018.
The biggest contract that Fitzpatrick signed was a 6-year $59 million deal with the Buffalo Bills which he penned in 2011. This included a signing bonus of $10 million which resulted in Fitzpatrick making $13.22 million in salaries alone that year.

Alex Smith has a net worth of $55 million dollars. Alex Smith has earned his net worth as a starting quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League.
Alex Smith signed a 4 year, $94,000,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including a $27,000,000 signing bonus, $71,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $23,500,000.

Sooo, 'unfortunate' doesn't seem like the proper choice of words. Fortune comes to mind.
No, not in terms of money. Both of them are just fine in that regard. But each of them has had a series of not so fortunate playing situations.

I'd probably say Fitz had it ever so slightly worse. He is good enough to lead a good team but never really got the chance to be in that situation. No one ever considers him a "real" starter so he never gets opportunities with teams that are in a position to support him. He overacheives for his lousy teams and makes a respectable living but he'll likely never get a shot with a team that could go all the way.

Smith has been given those opportunities and, I think, at the end of the day underacheives. He has all the talent in the world but doesn't seem to have that "it" factor that allows him to be more aggressive or a better leader or whatever it is that keeps him from that next rung up the ladder.

 by Hacksaw
1 month ago
 Total posts:   18150  
 Joined:  Apr 15 2015
United States of America   AT THE BEACH
Moderator

To me they are both fortunate they got to play in the bigs and for a long time. They must have been doing something right.
Smiths injury was a major derailleur. Fitz just doesn't /didn't have the 'it' factor like you stated. Not sure Smith really did / does either. Both have had memorable careers. Neither got to be the man on a championship team but at least Smith got a ring with KC as a thank you.
Yeah I might lean towards Fitz. But I remember when he was under center for us that I wasn't really stoked on "Harvard".

 by moklerman
1 month ago
 Total posts:   7198  
 Joined:  Apr 17 2015
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:To me they are both fortunate they got to play in the bigs and for a long time. They must have been doing something right.
Smiths injury was a major derailleur. Fitz just doesn't /didn't have the 'it' factor like you stated. Not sure Smith really did / does either. Both have had memorable careers. Neither got to be the man on a championship team but at least Smith got a ring with KC as a thank you.
Yeah I might lean towards Fitz. But I remember when he was under center for us that I wasn't really stoked on "Harvard".
Fitz with the Rams is a good example of his career though. He didn't get to play for the GSOT Rams where any decent QB put up numbers and wins. He was on the '05 dysfunctional, 6-10 Rams.

I agree that Fitz is probably just thankful to have a career in the NFL at all but he has shown that he has the ability, he just rarely gets to use it for a good team. I guess the feather in his cap is the 31 TD, 10-6 Jets team from just 5 years ago. Considering the dumpster fire that they are now, Fitz's season should probably get a level of difficulty adjustment! ;)

 by Elvis
1 month ago
 Total posts:   27512  
 Joined:  Mar 28 2015
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Fitz as a 7th rounder has had an amazing career. Smith, as the first pick in the draft, not so much.

Looking at over the cap, Fitz's career earnings are about $63 mil whereas Smith is just about triple that at $194 mil.

Most ways you slice it, Fitz has had an amazing career...

 by moklerman
1 month ago
 Total posts:   7198  
 Joined:  Apr 17 2015
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Fitz as a 7th rounder has had an amazing career. Smith, as the first pick in the draft, not so much.

Looking at over the cap, Fitz's career earnings are about $63 mil whereas Smith is just about triple that at $194 mil.

Most ways you slice it, Fitz has had an amazing career...
I agree. He's a "never was" that actually made it. NFL level "Rudy". But I still think it's unfortunate that he can't stumble into a situation where a team is ready to support him as the starter for a while. He hasn't always deserved it but he has definitely developed into a bonafide starter. But, he's still the hot potato of QB's.

 by aeneas1
1 month ago
 Total posts:   14784  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

the guy rode pine for 3 years, but after that was a team's primary qb for 10 of the next 13 years, starting 10 games or more, not too shabby for a 7th rounder... in fact since 1978, since the league moved to a 16-game schedule, no qb taken in the 7th round or later has started more games that fitz.... that said, fitz has played a lot of average ball throughout the years, he has a career 58-86-1 record and a 82.1 qb rating, but he's always been a great story, and by extension his great games / plays have always made for great highlights, which might make some think he was better than he actually was.

 by Hacksaw
1 month ago
 Total posts:   18150  
 Joined:  Apr 15 2015
United States of America   AT THE BEACH
Moderator

Dolphin TUnA

  • 3 / 3
  • 1
  • 3
30 posts Nov 24 2020