29 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by Ramsdude
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:2017-2020 (week 2), 15+ yards to go on 3rd/4th down, only the texans have given up a higher success rate than the rams, league success rate is 10.5% while rams have allowed a success rate of 16.7%... also, fwiw, 3rd/4th down plays of 15+ yards to go made up 8.7% of all 3rd/4th down plays from 2017-2020 (week 2):

01.png

WOW, Great stuff a1!!! Thanks for looking that up and sharing. I was way too lazy.

I knew we were up there near the top and I am sure we could go back even further and we would still be near the top of the list. lol

It does seem to be happening more and more often in the NFL. Even yesterday we weren't the only ones giving up 3rd and longs.

Are teams playing too soft on these downs? A "prevent" type thing, keeping all things in front of you and don't get beat deep thing? How are they not aware of where the first down line is?!?!?! When giving up a 3rd and long, it's usually by just a little bit like 3rd and 22 and we give up 22 1/2 yards! Crazy stuff!

by Hacksaw
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I was crushed that their monumental effort fell short and we're not on top of the leader board as a result.
That said I get the sentiment. It could have ended up 56 to 6 which would have been a season long crush. Great effort and all signs look up. Except for defending 3rd and forever. :?

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

this game had the look and feel of last year's ravens game, which was 6-28 at the half compared to 3-28 halfway through the 3rd quarter against the bills - but unlike the ravens game the rams didn't continue to get punched in the face throughout the second half as well and lose to the tune of 6-45, they came out swinging and actually took a 32-28 lead in the 4th quarter... if only the d could have held.

by snackdaddy
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

It coulda been one of those soul crushing blowouts that have us questioning everything about the team. But they didn't throw in the towel like they did a few times last year. We do have some issues on the defense though. It sure seemed like there were a lot of wide open receivers. Was it mental breakdowns? Just bad coverage skills?

by Hacksaw
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

@snackdaddy, I hope its a case of working out the bugs in Staleys D. It is new to all of them, including Staley. Buffalo may have exploited a few weaknesses they spotted until the Rams adjusted.
Its been very refreshing to see that the Rams actually make successful half time adjustments. Now in game adjustments might keep us from going down 28 - 3 in the future.

by actionjack
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3936  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:Sometimes a loss like that can be crushing. Great comeback only to fall short with a questionable call at the end. But for some reason I'm not as disappointed as I should be.

To be honest, looking at the first 3 games on the schedule if someone told me we'd be 2-1 I woulda said "I'll take it". I thought there was a chance we could be 1-2. Or even 0-3 if we had trouble getting going early in the season.

Our offense started slow but looked to be in midseason form in the second half. Goff looks like a comfortable quarterback in command of his offense. The run game looks much improved. Henderson is looking like the real deal.

The defense played pretty well the first two games. But today was a stinker for them. I hope the Bills offense is that good. Maybe we won't have as much trouble with most teams.

The only thing I would disagree with is the defense. It has stunk in the first half in particular in all three games. The defense needs to start quicker....

by actionjack
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3936  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:this game had the look and feel of last year's ravens game, which was 6-28 at the half compared to 3-28 halfway through the 3rd quarter against the bills - but unlike the ravens game the rams didn't continue to get punched in the face throughout the second half as well and lose to the tune of 6-45, they came out swinging and actually took a 32-28 lead in the 4th quarter... if only the d could have held.

I agree it looked well on the way to that. It is a good thing for this team to have some adversity and actually come back and win if it wasnt for the refs. I like what I saw on Sunday against a very good team. But I see two main issues with this team.

1. obvious pass rush
2. special teams- our KO return coverage stinks, our return teams are meh and the kicking game is shaky.

by Elvis
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Agree, hard to feel crushed after this one. 2nd of two straight 10 am starts, two straight east coast trips against a good team, those tend to be losses. OTOH, this is McVay's first loss at 10am (according to the broadcast). And even though we didn't score much in the first half we were moving the ball.

The defense was bad, there's no good way to spin giving up 4 straight TD drives, very Baltimore or Dallas like from last year. But they did get it together, at least somewhat.

I think the emphasis on that 3rd and 22 is a little overdone, yeah terrible play, horrible to give that up. But it was likely 4 down territory for the Bills. If they had gotten 10 yards on 3rd, it would've been 4th and 12 from their 40 with less than 3 minutes to go. I'm thinking they go for it and that becomes the play of the game.

So not saying we didn't blow it, we did. But still i think that one down is getting a little bit mythologized.

If the refs wanted Buffalo, why did they let the JJ int stand?

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:If the refs wanted Buffalo, why did they let the JJ int stand?

Because the referees and broadcasters always have it in for your team./sarcasm

• 3 / 3
29 posts Apr 16 2024