• 4 / 10
 by Elvis
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 23, 2020

(On any injury updates)
“It's the same. We'll give (OL Andrew) Whitworth and (DL Aaron) Donald rest days, veteran rest days. We'll be smart with (CB) Darious (Williams), be smart with (RB) Malcolm (Brown). Those guys will miss today, but they just took part in the walk-thru. The other guys that I was telling you guys about, those guys will miss today as well.”

(On what QB Jared Goff needs to do to start fast on Sunday)
“The same way. Decisive, making good decisions, getting the ball out of his hand, recognizing and seeing the coverage contours. Really, just all the things that he did. That is a very, very challenging defense we're going against this week. They play hard, they're sound. They make you earn every yard. We're excited about the challenge, but we know what a great challenge it will be.”

(On Bills QB Josh Allen)
“Yeah, he's been really impressive. I think you just look at the play-making ability, ability to create off-schedule. They're doing a lot of different things. Mixing personnel, groupings, getting a lot of guys involved. Made their shot plays down the field. They get into empty and can spread you out. So, he's seeing the field really well right now. He's making plays on-schedule, off-schedule. He's playing the position at high level and coach (Offensive Coordinator Brian) Daboll’s doing a really nice job of putting (QB) Josh (Allen) and their players in good positions to be successful.”

(On whether a transaction will be made surrounding OL Joe Noteboom)
“We probably will. We haven't done anything with that yet, but I think you can expect to see him placed on that temporary IR probably in the near future.”

(On whether OLB Terrell Lewis will be activated in Noteboom’a place)
“We haven't decided that yet. That's why we haven't made a move. We'll see once we actually make that move exactly which direction we're headed. But, we're hopeful that at some point we will be able to bring through (OLB Terrell) Lewis off of that. This week won't be that week though.”

(On preparing against Bills CB Tre’Davious White)
“I mean, I think first thing you look at is the ability to match up and then take the ball away and give it back to the offense. He's got a great ability to come up and challenge guys. He can also play off with vision and does a great job kind of in his off-man, where he works through a progression. Last year especially, I think he had six picks and you leave an outbreaking route inside, he's going to pick it and go the other way. So, (CB) Tre’Davious (White) is a guy that I've always been a fan of going back to his college days even. Just the instincts, the awareness, the toughness, it's translated really well. He’s under a great coach in (Bills Head Coach Sean) McDermott leading the way.”

(On coaching against Bills Head Coach Sean McDermott)
“You certainly are aware of what a great job he did going back to his days as a coordinator in Carolina, when I was in Washington. But it's different. We have different players. He's adjusted and adapted. We've got some things that are totally different than the way that we operated in Washington. But, there's a lot of
really good tape that they put out there in really all three phases. On the defensive side, they've been really tough. It's going to be a great challenge.”

(On any changes ahead of traveling east to play a game for a second consecutive week)
“No changes. I think last week served as a really good guide, if you will, for kind of the way that we want to handle it. Very similar in terms of the departure time, similar in terms of the day of departure, kickoff time, all that stuff. So, I think last week will be a good guide for us and kind of a compass to navigate through this week. If our guys were able to handle it the same way, we'll be in good shape.”

(On whether there was a possibility of remaining on the East Coast during this week)
“It was an option, where similar to what we've done in years past, where we kind of have a break where we kind of get away and we're as a team for a week somewhere. That’s just happened to work out perfectly for us on our London trips each of the last few years. Or in the example, from the (2018) season when we were staying in Colorado Springs, when we were supposed to go to Mexico City. This was going to be something similar to that where we were going to look into maybe staying out in Philly practicing there, and then just transition to Buffalo. But, with the protocols and the restrictions where guys would have to stay in their rooms, things like that, we said, ‘no’, we want them to be able to be in their normal atmosphere, environment, be around their families. Last week, definitely it felt like the right decision. As long as we're mature enough, which I know we are to handle this week, the right way, we feel like that's best.”

(On the offensive line contributing to the fast start)
“I think the 2-0 start is a reflection of the team. Certainly, the offensive linemen are a big part of that. But, what I was really pleased with to answer your real question, is the way that we were able to continue to just operate at a very similar rate when (OL) David (Edwards) did come in. We actually were going through a little bit of a lull right there with the way we started. Then we were kind of going through that lull and the 29 snaps that he ended up playing were reflective of when we got back going again. I was really pleased with him. That's where the benefit in some of the tough times last year serve you well. You hate to lose (OL) Joe (Noteboom), never want to see that happen. But because of David Edwards’ approach, his willingness to just continue to get better, the amount of experience he got last year, I think is invaluable for us. He has a comfort and a rapport playing next to (OL) Austin (Blythe) and Andrewand I thought that showed. I thought it expressed itself in a big way on a lot of big plays and a lot of good things that he did.”

(On whether he talked with LB Micah Kiser about winning NFL Defensive Player of the Week)
“I did. I just congratulated him, really happy for him. When you end up recognizing him in front of the team, the ovation that he got from his teammates to me, I think is the coolest thing about it. You can really appreciate how much guys are pulling for one another and how happy and excited they are for (LB) Micah (Kiser) after some of the things that he's gone through to put himself in this position. Really pleased with him and looking forward to him just continuing on this trajectory that he's on.”

(On Kiser’s presence felt all over the field this season)
“Yeah, he was. You are a lot of times involved in the action, but they were spreading us out getting into some empty or free release in the back. He was having to make a lot of space-tackles where he's, one-on-one against a really good player in (Eagles RB) Miles Sanders. He forces the fumble on the third defensive snap, which I thought kind of just started the day off the right way for us. His communication too is so important. When you're in the middle of the defense, those safeties and linebackers are so vital with some of the nuances on our calls or different things that offenses present and he's really done a good job and been very pleased with Micah through the first couple of weeks. But, you are involved in a lot of the action. I thought the other day was reflective of he was making those plays and it wasn't like the ball was just finding him, he was kind of finding the ball, if you will.”

(On CB Troy Hill breaking down the team following last week’s win)
“I think he had a good breakdown. He did a good job and I don't think much of it other than just empowering our players and trying to just recognize, sometimes the best thing you didn't do is get the hell out of the way and let it be their show. He was just talking about the importance of just continuing to work hard and not take anything for granted. But, (CB) Troy (Hill) has grown into a leader. He's increasingly taken on a bigger
role and more responsibilities each of the last couple of years. If there's one thing you know about Troy Hill, the game is not too big for him. He's got a nice, steady way about himself and he's done really well.”

(On if he was aware about the medical scenario surrounding Chargers QB Tyrod Taylor)
“I don't know the details other than what (Senior Director, Communications) Artis (Twyman) and I talking about it beforehand. It's unfortunate. You hope that (Chargers QB) Tyrod’s (Taylor) able to make a safe recovery. Those are tough things that you just feel bad for the player there.”

(On whether he’s ever encountered that type of situation in his career)
“No. Something like that hasn’t come up before.”

by Elvis
3 years 6 months ago
Administrator

Rams Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley – Media Availability – September 23, 2020

(On ILB Micah Kiser winning NFC Defensive Player of the Week)
“I think that (ILB) Micah (Kiser) is certainly deserving of the award and, you know, I’m really happy with how we played. I think for him to have a performance like that in his second game, really as a starter, against a tremendous opponent, you know, obviously very excited for him. I thought he played better as the game went on. I thought he really got into a comfort zone. You saw all the qualities that made him one of the all-time leading tacklers in ACC history, and a guy that we have held in such high regard in our building. I think that you also have to give his teammates a lot of credit. I think upfront our defensive line was really, really good in the run game, kept him clean on a lot of those plays. I felt like it was a result of a lot of team defense. Then certainly his position coach, (Assistant Head Coach/ Linebackers) Joe Barry, Joe has taken on a lot of linebacker projects over the last four years. You think about (Broncos LB) Mark Barron, you think about (Raiders LB) Cory Littleton, and now, you know, guys like Micah and (ILB) Kenny (Young). Joe has just been tremendous and we're so fortunate that he's coaching Micah, but obviously very happy for Micah.”

(On the qualities of RB Troy Hill that make him a good fit at nickel)
“Yeah, I think (CB) Troy (Hill) has a lot of the qualities that we specifically value at the nickel position. I think what we value at nickel is a little bit different than most. You know, we want a guy that can cover man to man. I think his ability outside at corner really expresses itself inside his style of play. It does happen quicker inside, and he has a lot of short-space quickness to compete with these slot wide outs. So, it really starts with his ability to cover man to man in the slot. And then, you know, Troy's one of our best tacklers and I think outside – when I first got here, I said, ‘Hey man, this guy can really tackle.’ And the way we play that nickel is in the way a lot, in the run game, and so I felt like he would really be a presence in that second level as a really good tackler. And then, you know, he's such a calm guy. You can't play star if you are sped up, you just can't. You have to have a steady, calm presence. I was around (Broncos Cornerback) Bryce Callahan in Chicago, who I felt like was one of the best nickels in the league and that's how Bryce was. He's a guy that could play outside, but inside he was just so steady, so calm. We ask our stars to see a lot and I think that Troy can do that and I really feel like he's getting better every time out, because he is sort of new to the position. So, every time he goes out there, he gets better and better. But really excited about what he gives us in there.”

(On how rewarding it was to see Hill’s interception Sunday)
“Just such a great way to finish the game. You're always talking about finishing and, you know, that's two weeks in a row and in a two-minute situation that we've been able to close the game out, which is the ultimate way to finish the game as a defensive team, is be able to finish it with a takeaway. You know, he was in the right position, doing exactly the right thing. I thought Troy played a much cleaner game than he did in the first game, from a technical standpoint. And I thought he was in position to make a lot of plays. You know, there was one that (Eagles QB) Carson (Wentz) threw in the middle of the game that Troy and Micah were kind of right in the way of and it could have gone either way. Then I think, you know, for Troy, he's a guy that's been here from the beginning. He's the guy that's seen a lot here with the Rams since (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) has been here and kind of been a guy under the radar, behind the scenes and who's just improved. I think he's just a great example for young players. If you just hang in there, if you keep improving, you do the things the right way then eventually your hard work is going to pay off.”

(On CB Jalen Ramsey as a leader within the defense and what is his leadership style)
“I absolutely think he's a leader within our defense. It starts with his mind, the way he thinks. He has command over all the position groups in the secondary. His approach to the game, in terms of taking a receiver out of the game, understanding formations, splits, personnel groupings, time and score, who's the opposing quarterback. He does a really good job with our younger secondary players in terms of, ‘Hey, this is how you have to prepare to play this team or this particular receiver or this particular quarterback.’ He does a really nice job with that. He has good gameday eyes. You know (CB) Jalen (Ramsey) as a guy, because of his presence, because of how productive he is, people are going to follow him and it's that example that he sets. And sometimes when it's not going well, you know, people are looking at him. I think that that's where he's taken a big step forward. He knows that eyes are on him and that people are counting on him, not to just be a shutdown corner, to be a complete corner. That includes, you know, taking a leadership role and we think he's doing a good job. He's continuing to grow in that way and I'm excited about how he played the other day. I thought that he was outstanding in that game.”

(On if he plans for teams to not go against Ramsey and how much pressure that puts on the other cornerbacks)
“We're certainly aware that people may that approach, but we moved him around some in that game, as you guys probably saw and they can't avoid him forever. The way we play in the coverage systems, you saw in two-minute, they had to go at him on the backside with (Eagles TE Dallas) Goedert late in the game where we forced the ball to go back to Jalen. So, you know, he's going to have his opportunities. He had two really, I think big opportunities. (Eagles WR) DeSean (Jackson) had a blaze out on him early in the game that he swallowed up pretty easily. And then he took away (Eagles TE Zach) Ertz a couple of times on third down. He's just playing really good football for us, but we know that if the ball goes elsewhere, that we're going to have a lot of good players waiting for him there. You know, you guys were seeing (CB) Darious (Williams) and Troy and these two safeties we have with ‘JJ’ (John Johnson III), (Jordan) Fuller, and ‘T-Rapp’ (Taylor Rapp) and then Micah and Kenny. We've have people waiting for their opportunity to capitalize on that, and it's a luxury to have a player like Jalen for sure.”

(On what he sees from Bills QB Josh Allen)
“(Bills QB) Josh (Allen) has been fantastic. You’ve got to give credit to (Offensive Coordinator) Brian Daboll and that offensive staff. Sean (McDermott), the head coach there. He's really grown as a player, you know, improved in every way. He’s got, I think, leadership ability and toughness that the team responds to. You take a look with the playoff game that they had, you know, just kind of willing them to a lot of big plays and comebacks. He's improved as a passer. I think he's gotten more confident within their system. He's operating with command, which is what you ultimately want to see from a young quarterback, is to take that step with the command of the offense and it certainly looks like he has that. Then their personnel department, they've done a really good job of surrounding them with weapons. You know, they made the trade for (Bills WR) Stefon (Diggs). They drafted well with (Bills TE Dawson) Knox, the tight end, (Bills RB Devin) Singletary, (Bills RB Zack) Moss – the two runners. They acquired (Bills WR Cole) Beasley and (Bills WR) John Brown in free agency a couple of years ago and their line doesn't get enough credit for how well they play as a group. So, I think the byproduct of a franchise that's going in the right direction and Josh has certainly done his part and improving his game.”

(On how the defense can stress Allen into making bad decisions)
“I think that, just like any defense would try and accomplish, try to mix it up, try to play with some variety, try to create some post-snap decision making for him. Not make it so obvious, you know, pre snap where he can play the game on his terms. You’ve got to make it more like rush hour traffic than cruise control, make it more like New York City traffic, than a trip on I-90 in upstate New York. It’s got to be more stressful for him. You try to make it like that, if you can. And then the thing about playing against a guy like Josh is that it's just the down's never over until it's over and that's what we've seen these first three weeks. This being the third week, is that all these quarterbacks are extremely dangerous at the end of the down. And, you know, certainly in those ‘got to have it’ situations, third down, two-minute red area.”

(On the improvements he has seen from S Jordan Fuller from Week 1 to Week 2)
“He played much closer to his capacity. He played a lot better game. He tackled extremely well. He was physical, showed range, showed command in the deep part of the field, running the show for us. Much, much better.”

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

steve has spoken, ha ha...

02.jpg

by Zen_Ronin
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

THIS is a very good thing!!

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

under mcvay, goff's 3rd game of the season:

record: 3-0
offensive points per game: 29.7
completion rate: 73.5%
qb rating: 114.6
yards per attempt: 9.0
yards per game: 305

cane he make it 4-0?

hell yeah he can!!!!

:D

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

josh allen vs teams that made the postseason:

01.png

by Zen_Ronin
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

I've watched probably somewhere around a hundred week 3 picks (it's just part of my week, Power Rankings Tuesday, Picks Wednesday) and I want to say out of those hundred, maybe THREE people picked the Rams. Not that it matters, but we've been the underdog both games so far this year and it's worked out pretty damn well, so I'm loving it.

The top reasons given:

1. We haven't faced a QB as good as Allen.
2. Buffalo is at home.
3. The 2nd East coast game for the Rams, and the travel involved in going coast to coast for both.

Almost nobody has said it's because the Bills are the better team. In fact most seem to think we're pretty evenly matched.

by Elvis
3 years 6 months ago
Administrator

Buffalo by 2.5 at home, Vegas thinks we're evenly matched. 2nd straight week on the east coast gonna be a test and it's the NFL you don't just win every game. It's a battle of undefeated power houses...

• 4 / 10
99 posts Apr 16 2024