113 posts
  • 11 / 12
 by /zn/
3 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:To be fair, the game and the position has evolved quite a bit since Holohan's days with the Rams but he was #3 in TE receptions in 1988 and 89. The great one's who came before like Ozzie Newsome, Dave Casper, Raymond Chester were great but the passing game hadn't morphed to what it became. Kellen Winslow was the first standout TE and in 1980 with Coryell and Fouts he had 89 receptions, 30 more than the #2 TE. I guess from that point on it was a search to find "the next" Kellen Winslow.

I think they just neglected him. I think he could have been a year 3 break out but they just wanted him to mostly block. When Gurley was asked in the middle of it if Higbee's big 2019 games were a surprise, he said no...anyone paying attention in practice knew who and what he was. It just took time to call his number in games.

In fact they didn't until Everett was injured. In the middle of 2019 Everett was trending up, getting targets and producing. He went out and they just shifted it to Higbee.

Hopefully he stays in their minds as they design and call plays this year.

by Elvis
3 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I think Higbee might be in a sell high situation, Everett healthy, Brycen in the mix, we're not usually a TE heavy offense. Obviously who knows, but...

by ramsrams
3 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:I think Higbee might be in a sell high situation, Everett healthy, Brycen in the mix, we're not usually a TE heavy offense. Obviously who knows, but...

If I had any confidence in the OL, I’d agree.

I know it is not in Sean’s DNA, but he, IMO, is just going to HAVE to play more 12 personnel this year if the Rams are going to have a running game. Right now, I’d prefer not to dick around with the depth.

by Elvis
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Elvis wrote:I think Higbee might be in a sell high situation, Everett healthy, Brycen in the mix, we're not usually a TE heavy offense. Obviously who knows, but...

Wow is this a bad take...

by ramsman34
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

CanuckRightWinger wrote:THE HIGBEE PHENOMENON EXPLAINED BY MOTHER NATURE

The puzzlement of Tyler Higbee is (for me) now clear to see
As per my OP, Higbee's first 4 years, he averaged only 1 TD....
Then late in 2019 what did Ramsnation suddenly come to see?
Twas that Higbee out-of-the-blue John Mackey pass-catching spree!

I now get the cause of why this Higbee emergence did come around...
For in NATURE we see 4 years dormancy followed by big growth abound! :idea2:
I am talking of China, not COVID!.... but about a plant in Sino ground....
Where with these small shoots for 4 years, little growth seen or found. :cry2:

Then in year 5 this Chinese plant arrives with HUGE growing to do...
Look it up!... 90 feet of new growth in Year Five....who the fuck knew???!! :shock2:
So I say my questioning Tyler Higbee was not mean, crass, vile, nor taboo....
It was just my unawareness that Higbee was genetically BAMBOO!! :lol2:

CRW

Correction: He is RAMboo

by actionjack
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3945  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Now it will be interesting if we can get Everett going, he has the downfield skill of out TE's But there are only so many balls to go around with 4 good WR's, 2-3 RB's and Higbee breakout. Going to be interesting going forward....

by ramsman34
3 years 6 months ago

actionjack wrote:Now it will be interesting if we can get Everett going, he has the downfield skill of out TE's But there are only so many balls to go around with 4 good WR's, 2-3 RB's and Higbee breakout. Going to be interesting going forward....

It's really about the mismatches. McV has a lot of ways to create those with the WR'sTEs/RBs he has at his disposal. All of Higs' TD were designed for him and as the primary read. I am certain there are plays like that for every single eligible on the roster - just depends on the looks we get from the op D and the situation. That back side 9-route TD when - ALL the flow was play side - was an awesome play design and perfect execution.

Everett will get his, all of them will.

by actionjack
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3945  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:It's really about the mismatches. McV has a lot of ways to create those with the WR'sTEs/RBs he has at his disposal. All of Higs' TD were designed for him and as the primary read. I am certain there are plays like that for every single eligible on the roster - just depends on the looks we get from the op D and the situation. That back side 9-route TD when - ALL the flow was play side - was an awesome play design and perfect execution.

Everett will get his, all of them will.

I dont disagree at all, this is a unselfish bunch, similar to the GSOT days, we might have more overall offensive talent/depth now :shock2: I would just like to see Everett get more chances as he can be a huge mismatch. Fun problems. I just hope the o-line holds up.

by ramsman34
3 years 6 months ago

actionjack wrote:I dont disagree at all, this is a unselfish bunch, similar to the GSOT days, we might have more overall offensive talent/depth now :shock2: I would just like to see Everett get more chances as he can be a huge mismatch. Fun problems. I just hope the o-line holds up.

That was a special time, but you might be right. Faulk is like 3 players, WR's are close if not equal, TE's now are superior. QB, that's a tall order for Goff. If he wins a SB he will have been "equal" to Kurt (1-1) with the Rams. The GSOT was just completely different than the entire NFL at the time. McVay is innovative, but there are a number of prolific offenses now. I think we are more diverse now and can beat you in a number of ways. Not sure the GSOT could really do that, as we found out in SB36.

• 11 / 12
113 posts Apr 18 2024