27 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by moklerman
3 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Why’s that? Do you mean baseball, football, sports in general? I am just curious as I have a lot less enthusiasm/interest compared to this time of year in years past - wondering what is driving the feeling with you. There are too many other major issues going on in society and affecting my own personal life.
Basically, the way sports have become so political. The leagues and the players are just rubbing me the wrong way.

by ramsman34
3 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

moklerman wrote:Basically, the way sports have become so political. The leagues and the players are just rubbing me the wrong way.

Hmm. Wasn’t expecting that as your answer. But I can see that perspective.

by Mr. Sparkle
3 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   952  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Veteran

moklerman wrote:Basically, the way sports have become so political. The leagues and the players are just rubbing me the wrong way.

I feel similar. When I go to games it was the great equalizer. When the game gets going and we are all cheering, all that matter was the team the person near you was supporting. It didn’t matter race, background, worth, etc... now I fear but could be wrong, even before the game starts it’s going to be “which fans stand for the anthem? Who doesn’t? Who’s going to react how to the Black Anthem? Then after a very high amount of people will be arguing about this and that for the game. The instead of cheerleaders dancing around and advertisements for junk food during breaks, we probably will be getting mini documentaries on people that were wronged. Not saying any of this is good or bad. Just saying Personally I agree with above that it’s hard to get excited about it all.
I hope I am wrong, really I do, but the thought of the first time during this one of the cops that do security gets something thrown at them or someone wearing a BLM shirt gets the same, is when it would hit rock bottom for me.

by moklerman
3 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Mr. Sparkle wrote:I feel similar. When I go to games it was the great equalizer. When the game gets going and we are all cheering, all that matter was the team the person near you was supporting. It didn’t matter race, background, worth, etc... now I fear but could be wrong, even before the game starts it’s going to be “which fans stand for the anthem? Who doesn’t? Who’s going to react how to the Black Anthem? Then after a very high amount of people will be arguing about this and that for the game. The instead of cheerleaders dancing around and advertisements for junk food during breaks, we probably will be getting mini documentaries on people that were wronged. Not saying any of this is good or bad. Just saying Personally I agree with above that it’s hard to get excited about it all.
I hope I am wrong, really I do, but the thought of the first time during this one of the cops that do security gets something thrown at them or someone wearing a BLM shirt gets the same, is when it would hit rock bottom for me.
Yeah, pretty much all realistic examples that I hadn't really tried to pinpoint. Just my gut feeling about everything going on is along those lines.

I hadn't really thought too much about the Black National Anthem in those terms. I think it's fundamentally divisive but what's going to happen when every, single person doesn't stand for it or raise their fist or whatever is deemed mandatory when it plays? Can you imagine a player kneeling during the BNA?

As far as the actual National Anthem, that is now a polarizing activity. And I'm sorry, if one doesn't have enough pride and appreciation to understand how fortunate they are, regardless of skin color, to live in the USA then I think it is they who have the problem. Because our country was DESIGNED to acclimate to changing attitudes and understanding about just about everything. There is a positive way to affect that change though.

As MLK did during the civil rights movement, he argued that the US was failing to live up to the ideals our country was designed to strive for. The we all needed to be better Americans. That is a far cry from claiming that Americans are inherently evil and our country needs to be torn down.

The NFL is really the only sports entity that I (used?) to care about. I'd follow MLB and NBA to some degree but it's always been about the NFL for me. But they are not what they were and I don't like where they continue to head. Maybe I'm holding them to an unrealistic comparison to nostalgia but I don't think so. Strong arming owners into complying with mob mentality. Bending the knee to SJW's. Removing more and more violence from the game. Horrible officiating. What I believe to be corruption within the league itself.

Maybe it was always that way and it just took me until now to see it. I don't know but I do know that I do not love the league any more and I drifting more and more toward not caring at all and even opposing them. I think of it in terms of "Hollywood". Movies and tv and it's creators and stars used to be these magical, entertaining, comforting escapism. Now, they are just a bunch of spoiled, narcissistic, deluded, deranged, psuedo-benevolent hacks that are borderingon revolting.

Granted, it's not their fault that I put them(sports/Hollywood) on pedestals but I think the have failed far more than the distance between that height and normal. With sports and the NFL in particular, I don't think it is even a sport at this point.

by Elvis
3 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

10:01 wrote:Confused. Is there any advantage to “opting out” as opposed to “opting in” as opposed to doing nothing?

If you want your 2020 money back you need to opt out. If you want priority for possible 2020 seats, opt in.

You can always opt out later which is why I opted in...

• 3 / 3
27 posts Apr 18 2024