473 posts
  • 14 / 48
 by rams74
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Rams the Legends live on wrote:Except for ironically it really hasn't. Saying colored people is bad but saying people of color is good. I mean is this some kind of Yoda Jedi mind trick where if you just move words around that makes them ok, it sounds good, good it sounds......LOL

I understand what you're saying. Still, I think it's perfectly reasonable to refer to someone, or a group of someones, by the name that they, themselves, prefer. If that seems nonsensical to us, then that's on us.

by Rams the Legends live on
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1987  
United States of America   Colorado Springs
Pro Bowl

rams74 wrote:I understand what you're saying. Still, I think it's perfectly reasonable to refer to someone, or a group of someones, by the name that they, themselves, prefer. If that seems nonsensical to us, then that's on us.

Your point may be true except it was white leftist who said colored people bad then white leftist said people of color good. So if calling someone by their preference is two thumbs up then shouldn't that group be the one to decide their preference?

So is it truely nonsense for me to say that white leftist deciding as a collective what is good for another then informing them of the decision with expectation of adherence, is not so good. Am I a fool because I notice the blind leading the blind. Just can't help but notice that "their" and "we" do hold two distinct different meanings.

It is like a story of Ravi Zacharias' that I loved to hear him tell when he was alive. He had visited a former Soviet Bloc nation after the wall came down. He was having dinner with a colleague. After dinner was done the waitress approached him and asked him would he like to have dessert. He said sure what do you have she said ice cream. She said ice cream so he waited a second to hear more yet she had no more options for dessert. So he said sure. She asked what kind would you like. He said what kinds do you have she said vanilla. Again he waited for more options yet that was all that was on the menu. He said I will take vanilla. She walked away with a grand smile. His colleague looked over at him and said that is remarkable she is happy because she feels she has offered you a choice.

White leftist are all smiles because they are convinced that they have offered a choice. How perfectly reasonable wouldn't ya say?

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Mr. Sparkle wrote:He may be arrogant, but using “mister” does not make one so. I know I am in the minority, but I still refer to strangers as Mr Ms until I am told otherwise by them. I am annoyed when people I don’t know call me by my first name as the only people in the world that use my first name are strangers. I go by a nick name. I Believe it is out of respect. Don’t think so? I bet you don’t refer to judges by their first name. Good luck in any military branch going by first names of those you don’t know. Etc etc. In much of the business world it is the same. But I understand not everyone agrees. And I do not think they are wrong. Just different. But again, I hate going back to automatically thinking people that think different than you are bad. And that’s what happened here. Someone said call me Mr and therefore, they must be arrogant.

But there are also stories of Snyder pulling the same “Call me Mr” stuff with parents of children that his kids are on teams with. Some of them wealthy, powerful and/or older than him.

Like one of the parents in a respected surgeon. Synder drops the "call me Mister" stuff on the surgeon but doesn't return the favor and does not address him as "Doctor".

by Hacksaw
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

He sounds like a respect needy thumbdick.
'Call me mister'. lol . I guess I forgot, he's better than us.

by HighRoller
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   291  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Will0120 wrote:Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, as well as strong regimentation of society and of the economy which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.

:roll2: :roll2: :roll2:

Well, this is the first definition I found. From Websters:

Definition of fascism:

1) often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

2) a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control
early instances of army fascism and brutality

Looks like BLM and ironically ANTIFA to me.

So... :roll2: :roll2: :roll2: .........right back atcha.

by moklerman
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:No, they should not be able to dictate what Washington FC should do. All they should be able to do is inform the franchise that they will be ending their relationship with them, if current conditions remain static.

I could be wrong, but I think that's all they've done.
Essentially the same thing apparently. You're right but as I pondered before, how can these companies that have contracts with the Redskins, in the middle of the contract, decide to just cut ties? I wish Snyder would sue the hell out of them.

Trade Rumors posted that a new name is imminent and could happen at any time. Red Tails and Presidents are thought to be among the possible names. Colors will remain burgandy and gold. There will be NO iconography or connection to Indians.

I would donate to the cause if Snyder just went all-in and changed the colors to orange and yellow and called them the Trumps.

by aeneas1
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

honestly, i can't believe "redskins" has lasted as long as it has, i mean really, wtf? iirc some mentioned that "braves" or "indians" would be a simple solution, which seems to miss the point, i.e. neither would be acceptable as far as i can tell, for good reason, it's just time to move on... that said, this could turn into a pretty deep rabbit hole, for example what about the chiefs, braves, aztecs, seminoles, blackhawks, etc., etc. and even the cowboys, trojans, fighting irish, sooners, runnin' rebels, etc., etc., team names that can be identified as being tied to oppressors or the oppressed.

by moklerman
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:honestly, i can't believe "redskins" has lasted as long as it has, i mean really, wtf? iirc some mentioned that "braves" or "indians" would be a simple solution, which seems to miss the point, i.e. neither would be acceptable as far as i can tell, for good reason, it's just time to move on... that said, this could turn into a pretty deep rabbit hole, for example what about the chiefs, braves, aztecs, seminoles, blackhawks, etc., etc. and even the cowboys, trojans, fighting irish, sooners, runnin' rebels, etc., etc., team names that can be identified as being tied to oppressors or the oppressed.
I'd agree if Redskin was on the same level as other offensive phrases but I don't see that it is. It is still used in a positive way among some of those who would most directly be affected.

And I agree, the rabbit hole, or principle in this case is the much bigger issue. Once the precedent is set, all bets are off. Just how many teams are going to face similar pressure to change their names?

The NFL is already "bending the knee" to pressure. They're already a lost cause IMO. Anxiously awaiting every ballplayer and manager that played baseball before integration being on the chopping block.

by aeneas1
3 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I'd agree if Redskin was on the same level as other offensive phrases but I don't see that it is.

i think it's has as much to do with cultural appropriation (by a dominant culture) as it does with being an offensive phrase to more than a few, whatever the case both are out of step with the 21st century imo... i think many would agree that the intent of tribal branding (indians, chiefs, braves, apache, warriors, etc.) through the decades has overwhelming been about a positive brand image rather than a demeaning brand image, nonetheless i don't think that's sufficient reason not to change the thought process.

moklerman wrote:It is still used in a positive way among some of those who would most directly be affected.

kinda seems like you're saying that a predominantly white business ownership group should be allowed to use the n-word for branding because black communities use it in a non-offensive manner?

by aeneas1
3 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

looks like it's going to be the washington red wolves, which would allow the team to keep its color scheme... apparently red wolves are among the world's most endangered wolf species and indigenous to the dc area (eastern and southern u.s.), looks like that more than a few washington fans on twitter are getting on board with the new name and uniform concepts that are circulating, while also mentioning that they think it will be cool to have a stadium full of "howling" fans... of course fans that want to keep the redskins name (and tradition) seem to clearly be the majority, at least on twitter.

• 14 / 48
473 posts Apr 16 2024