40 posts
  • 4 / 4
 by safer
3 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

How much did injury affect Havenstien last year? To me, he looked out of shape and a step slower than he did in '18. Still was able to get a strong grip on jerseys though! :(

by /zn/
3 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

safer wrote:How much did injury affect Havenstien last year? To me, he looked out of shape and a step slower than he did in '18. Still was able to get a strong grip on jerseys though! :(

Yeah Hav started out poorly. So did AW. In fact IMO the OL would have held up better if both the tackles were playing okay from the start. They weren't so it was an up and down mess through the first several games.

by /zn/
3 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Don't know if this was already posted.

On Tremayne Anchrum, from https://www.therams.com/news/tremayne-a ... gs-to-know

As Rams Director of College Scouting Brad Holmes was gathering information on Anchrum, one quote from one of his sources stood out among the rest about his background.

“One of the guys says that he was like 18 going on 28 when he first arrived there (at Clemson) as a freshman,” Holmes said on a Rams post-draft show. “I just thought that spoke volumes about his maturity and his intangibles.”

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney called Anchrum “a very underrated guy in this draft,” also praising those same intangibles Holmes brought up.

“He’s incredibly smart, very athletic, strong, and has a great football I.Q.,” Swinney said in a statement posted to the program’s Twitter account. “He is another guy that’s going to change a locker room from a leadership standpoint.”

by PARAM
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Sounds like too much to expect from a 7th round draft pick. But if he makes the squad, that's one step in the right direction. If he breaks the starting lineup (and I don't mean from day 1) then Snead & Co. deserve huge kudos. If he ends up being a locker room leader, then Snead belongs in the Rams ring of honor.

by Elvis
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Listening to one of the Rams scouts talking about Anchrum he said the first thing he noticed was he didn't look the part, wasn't the typical size he was expecting to see but quickly discovered why Anchrum was starting over players that looked more the part...

by /zn/
3 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Sounds like too much to expect from a 7th round draft pick. But if he makes the squad, that's one step in the right direction. If he breaks the starting lineup (and I don't mean from day 1) then Snead & Co. deserve huge kudos. If he ends up being a locker room leader, then Snead belongs in the Rams ring of honor.

Just some tantalizing history. I know you personally know all this, just typing it up for anyone who's interested. In 2014 with Kromer as the OC (and overseeing the OL) the Bears drafted Charles Leno in round 7. He played at LOT as a rookie and then has held the position since then, with good years. Since 2015, 80 consecutive regular season starts, including a pro bowl year in 2018.

So fwiw AK has hit on a 7th rounder before.

And btw Leno plays LOT at 6'3". :shock2:

I don't think Anchrum will play OT for the Rams but as has been said already (I think in this thread) a "short" OG is not out of the question by any means.

by /zn/
3 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:“One of the guys says that he was like 18 going on 28 when he first arrived there (at Clemson) as a freshman,” Holmes said on a Rams post-draft show. “I just thought that spoke volumes about his maturity and his intangibles."

by safer
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Speaking about interior linemens' height, just a few years ago there was some guy named Aaron Donald that we heard the same bullshit about :o
Also, and it's been said by line coaches since the dawn of time..........get your pads under the other guy's, right? That's called leverage..............and I still don't understand why height is as highly valued as it is by teams.
OK, stay with me, cabin fever strikes again. About QB's, so F'n what if a guy is 6'2" or 6'6"---he still can't see over the top of the Olinemen in front of him. Even if a QB is 3" taller than the interior line in front of him, he couldn't see shit looking over the top of their helmets when he is standing 12-15' behind them, right?
QB's throw into windows

by ramsman34
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8515  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

AK stated Anchrum could even play center. I can see that, especially with how athletic he is; his hand placement, technique, and his intelligence/even demeanor. He might make an excellent center.

• 4 / 4
40 posts Apr 15 2024