Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

by moklerman
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:tarkenton has always been a prick, he's a prick today and he was a prick back in the day...
Yet, he was right about what his job is, right about the Cowboys going to the SB and right about Seattle trading away the rights to Dorsett.

He may be a prick but he's a HOF and he wasn't wrong.

by moklerman
3 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:
The Rams spent a decade not handling the QB situation well and likely cost themselves multiple trips to the SB. Once Ferragamo established himself on that SB run, why did they continue to dick around with Haden? Haden never won anything. He was never any good. But they desperately seemed to want him to win the job.

by rams74
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:The Rams spent a decade not handling the QB situation well and likely cost themselves multiple trips to the SB. Once Ferragamo established himself on that SB run, why did they continue to dick around with Haden? Haden never won anything. He was never any good. But they desperately seemed to want him to win the job.

It wasn't as clear cut as all that. As spectacular as Vince could be at times, he was not a model of consistency. I think that really frustrated the Rams sometimes. And Haden, while not endowed with great athletic gifts, was as smart as they come. I remember watching a road game one time, I think it was at the Vikings, that the Rams really should have lost. Haden called his own plays and had the Vikings second-guessing themselves the whole game. Haden won that game on sheer play-calling. He was brilliant.

Don't get me wrong, I was a Ferragamo guy. But I admired the things that Haden brought to the team.

by moklerman
3 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:It wasn't as clear cut as all that. As spectacular as Vince could be at times, he was not a model of consistency. I think that really frustrated the Rams sometimes. And Haden, while not endowed with great athletic gifts, was as smart as they come. I remember watching a road game one time, I think it was at the Vikings, that the Rams really should have lost. Haden called his own plays and had the Vikings second-guessing themselves the whole game. Haden won that game on sheer play-calling. He was brilliant.

Don't get me wrong, I was a Ferragamo guy. But I admired the things that Haden brought to the team.
I'm talking '79-'80 era though. Vince clearly outplayed Haden. I mean, night and day outplayed him. Later on, after he came back from Montreal and after he broke his thumb, Vince definitely became to inconsistent and turnover prone.

I don't discount Haden's brain either. He was undoubtedly learned and smart. But that didn't ever really translate to playing NFL QB consistently. His brain couldn't fix his height or lack of arm strength. QB coach? Fine, he may have been perfect. But NFL QB? There is a lot to suggest that he wasn't very good.

Haden was very mediocre during the regular season but wasn't asked to do much. He just had to not screw things up too much for the defense and running game. That seemed to be his ceiling. He was terrible in the post season though. 4TD/12INT and a 35 rating in 5 playoff appearances.

I was just a kid at the time so I'm going a lot by my memories of the time but I really don't see how there was any justification for continuing to not name Vince the starter and ultimately driving him away to Canada in a continuing effort to give Haden more chances.

by Hacksaw
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The Rams screwed with the magic.
Letting 15 Ferragamo walk broke the spell.
PH was a Rhodes scholar and played smart. He just couldn't see over his line.
0dc2f6402392376947c280e522218897.jpg

by rams74
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:I was just a kid at the time so I'm going a lot by my memories of the time but I really don't see how there was any justification for continuing to not name Vince the starter and ultimately driving him away to Canada in a continuing effort to give Haden more chances.

We all know that had nothing to do with giving Haden more chances. That was John Shaw and Georgia being cheap.

by aeneas1
3 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

when men were men (i suppose?), telly baby...

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

by aeneas1
3 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

friggin' james "shack" harris, man i loved it when he was under center for the rams...

• 11 / 27
267 posts Apr 15 2024