70 posts
  • 7 / 7
 by PARAM
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Rampager wrote:Excited? More like worried.

Ramsey and Donald are the only for sure's. Johnson and Rapp are pretty close.

They brought back used up Brockers, have no IBs with any worth, and their edge rushers all had less than 5 sacks last season.

I think I'll hold out before I get "excited".

As always, it's smart to hold out before getting excited but......

Floyd? Robinson? = Chopped liver?

Brockers is "used up"? Baltimore offered him a pretty good deal so they didn't think he was used up. And when that deal fell through, the Rams pounced.

We have no ILBs "with any worth"? Or would it be more accurate to say, "we have no proven ILBs"?

It's true the edge rushers all had less than 5 sacks. Except for Ebukam (4.5) all in spot duty. This year they'll get more than spot duty.

Okay, so hold out before getting excited. FWIW, nobody is getting all excited about the defense based on last year's numbers. They excited for the possibilities of the defensive roster Snead/McVay/Staley have assembled.

The way I look at it is, if they solve their OL woes....(read: healthy OL).....we don't need the 85 Bears defense. Jim McMahon ain't under center and Willie Gault isn't our #1 WR. Field a competetive defense and we might be just fine.

by /zn/
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:To zn's point about having 2 formidable building blocks upon which to build a Rams D.....
and how far back we'd have to look to identify them.....

Yeah....Actually going back nearly 20 years to our SBXXXVI Team:
I would submit the 2001 Rams tandem of
2001 All Pro Selection CB Aeneas Williams and
Leonard Little (not an All Pro Selection, but pretty damn fine DE).

The Rams SBXXXIV Team featured ProBowlers
DE Kevin Carter w/ 17 sacks that year and CB Todd Lyght with his 6 picks.

Los Ramos 1989 Team made it to the NFL Final Four losing in SF in the NFCCG, and that squad boasted building blocks of:
Kevin Greene with 16.5 sacks and Jerry Gray with 6 picks in '89.

The Rams Team that lost to the 1985 Bears in the NFCCG had two defenders make the ProBowl.....
RILB Jim Collins and LCB Gary Green (6 picks).

The 1979 Rams SB XIV Team had FOUR defenders :shock2: get All Pro honors:
DE Jack Youngblood
DT Larry Brooks
MLB Jack Reynolds
OLB Jim Youngblood
ME: I am surprised Nolan Cromwell wasn't named AllPro in 1979. :?

Chuck Knox's 1976 powerhouse Rams had 4 AllPro guys:
LDE Jack Youngblood
LDT Larry Brooks
ROLB Isaiah Butch Robertson
CB Monte Jackson....WITH 10 PICKS IN 1976 :shock2:

George Allen's 11-3 Rams Team in 1969 boasted All Pros:
LDE David Deacon Jones
LDT Merlin Olsen
FS Eddie Meador
....and 2nd Team Honors went to ROLB Maxie Baughn

So zn was right...
...IE. you gotta go back a heckuva long time to have the type of Rams D building blocks that McSnead have today in Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey! :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

source: pro-football-reference.com

Those were all good players. But I agree with your agreement...you have to go back a long time. For instance not one DB on the list is really the equal of Ramsey. They're not on his level. And this is said by someone who liked and respected all of them. Lyght, Gray, Green, Cromwell, Jackson (I never saw Meador).

There are some front 7 defenders in Rams history that are on the same level as Donald of course, or Donald is on the same level as them. Youngblood, Brooks (who may still be under-appreciated), Jones, Olsen, Greene. Little and Carter were both great too but I don't put them at the all-world level with guys like Jones, Olsen, and K.Greene.

BTW only 3 DTs in history were in the pro bowl in each of their first 6 seasons. That's Olsen, Joe Greene, and Donald. Of those 3, only Donald was also an all-pro in 5 of those 6 seasons (Greene was all-pro in 3 out of 6 years, Olsen was 2 out of 6 years).

by Rampager
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   32  
United States of America   Alaska
Undrafted Free Agent

PARAM wrote:As always, it's smart to hold out before getting excited but......

Floyd? Robinson? = Chopped liver?

Brockers is "used up"? Baltimore offered him a pretty good deal so they didn't think he was used up. And when that deal fell through, the Rams pounced.

We have no ILBs "with any worth"? Or would it be more accurate to say, "we have no proven ILBs"?

It's true the edge rushers all had less than 5 sacks. Except for Ebukam (4.5) all in spot duty. This year they'll get more than spot duty.

Okay, so hold out before getting excited. FWIW, nobody is getting all excited about the defense based on last year's numbers. They excited for the possibilities of the defensive roster Snead/McVay/Staley have assembled.

The way I look at it is, if they solve their OL woes....(read: healthy OL).....we don't need the 85 Bears defense. Jim McMahon ain't under center and Willie Gault isn't our #1 WR. Field a competetive defense and we might be just fine.

You make some solid arguments. I do like the Robinson signing. Floyd has me baffled though. 10 million for a guy with 3 1/2 sacks last season? That's a lot of coin for a guy that has underachieved since being drafted.

My IB comment was based on none of them having starting experience. And I said no worth because would any other team trade for any of these dudes? I think the answer is no.

And Baltimore backed out of the deal with Brock because he's damaged goods imo. Or that's what I read anyway.

by CanuckRightWinger
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

I am with Pennsylvania on his endorsements of Leonard Floyd (9th Overall Pick in 2016 Draft outa Georgia) and A'Shawn Robinson (46th Overall Pick in the 2016 Draft outa Alabama)…..these guys came outa College very highly touted. Some draftnik publications had Robinson going in the First Round! :idea2:

Provided Michael Brockers ankle heals 100%, our DL line-up looks strong with DE Brockers, Robinson at NT and AD at DT....and backed-up by mah-man DE Morgan Fox, NT Sebastien Joseph-Day and DT Marquise Copeland (DT Tanzel Smart was cut recently)…..OR....with Greg Gaines as NT and Joseph-Day moving to DT backing up Donald. :idea2: :arrow2: 8-)
Anyway you slice it, our 2020 DLine looks pretty formidable. :idea2:

Our Defensive Backfield is also solid with CBs star Jalen Ramsey and solid vet Troy Hill, with JJIII and Taylor Rapp as our safeties. We have great safety backups in rookie Terrell Burgess ex Utah rated in Top 100 by most 2020 Draftniks, and Jordan Fuller a 2-year Team Captain FS outa the Ohio State University. Also Nick Bones'Pet Scott and Jake Gervase are back from our 2019 active roster. Slot corner could be filled by either CB backups Deonte Deayon, Darious Williams, or David Long....or the rookie Burgess.! :idea2:

….and let's not forget the Va Tech Supplemental Draft Pick that Snead purloined offa the Redskins, Adonis Alexander the 6'3" CB......nor possible 2020 UDFA FS/CB sleeper from Florida State Levonta Taylor, who is RB Cam Akers' Seminole team mate! So regarding Los Ramos 2020 Defensive Backfield....can you say "DEEP"!!??? 8-)

Regarding our OLBs.....Clay Mathews could never hold the edge, and last time I checked spotrac Free Agents List, Mathews was still unemployed....so not much loss there. With Dante Fowler we get a nice 3rd Round Compensatory Pick in 2021, and the guy got most of his 2019 sacks total in only 3 games. In the other 13 games, Fowler was no Isaiah Butch Robertson okay!!! :x So....not the end of the world losing Mathews and Fowler IMHO.

OLB replacements? The aforementioned Leonard Floyd who helped anchor the #4 Bears D in PPG allowed.....plus Obo, Ebukam, Justin Lawler (back from 2019 IR), Jachai Polite, and maybe the steal of the 2020 NFL Draft, Alabama OLB Terrell Lewis are all available to fill in for the departed Mathews and Fowler. Natchez Patrick is listed as an OLB.....but he played ILB at Georgia......so the Rams have options with Patrick.

Segue into ILB......2020 Rams ILBs Cory Littleton and Bryce Hager are gone, but the original guy pencilled-in to start next to Littleton in 2019 was Micah Kiser, who is back after being IR'd last year with a torn pectoral. That only leaves ONE SPOT at ILB vacant on our D...….and we have the following to chose from:
Natrez Patrick UDFA ILB ex Georgia, but OLB too
Travin Howard (a poorman's Mark Barron?)
Clay Johnston (rookie stud outa Baylor)
Kenny Young (Rams liked him at UCLA in 2018, so they got him from Ravens)
Troy Reeder (UDFA tossed into 2019 fire, hoping he's better in 2020)
Daniel Bituli (2020 UDFA Tennessee ILB 6'3" 252 lbs)
Christian Rozeboom (2020 UDFA South Dakota St. 6'3" 230 lbs)

Assuming Micah Kizer has one ILB spot locked up, that leaves us 7 other guys to pick from to fill Littleton's old spot. My guess is Kenny Young emerges as that guy......with my dark horses as Travin Howard or Natrez Patrick.

Lots yutes and upside, plus I think Staley has a definite plan in Rams 2020 D for his old Chicago Bear charge Leonard Floyd......as well as for A'Shawn Robinson, who probably couldn't wait to get outa Detroit and head off for a new start!! :idea2:

Lots to be excited about eh!!! 8-)

by /zn/
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Rampager wrote:And Baltimore backed out of the deal with Brock because he's damaged goods imo. Or that's what I read anyway.
CanuckRightWinger wrote:Provided Michael Brockers ankle heals 100%

Just some details on a minor point. They didn't back out of the deal, Brockers did.

This is what happened. Brockers has an arthritic ankle. That was reported by MB's own medical people. An arthritic joint is something that can be managed and he can play with it, but arthritic conditions don't improve (so it's not going to heal--it's a permanent condition.) Baltimore wanted to see it themselves, ie. they wanted to do a medical with their own people, and couldn't because of the virus obviously. So they rescinded the original offer and instead asked to pay him less than that. That's what Brockers walked away from.

The Rams knew about the ankle all along, obviously, and were comfortable with the fact that he can play on it, since they've seen him do it.

by Rampager
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   32  
United States of America   Alaska
Undrafted Free Agent

/zn/ wrote:Just some details on a minor point. They didn't back out of the deal, Brockers did.

This is what happened. Brockers has an arthritic ankle. That was reported by MB's own medical people. An arthritic joint is something that can be managed and he can play with it, but arthritic conditions don't improve (so it's not going to heal--it's a permanent condition.) Baltimore wanted to see it themselves, ie. they wanted to do a medical with their own people, and couldn't because of the virus obviously. So they rescinded the original offer and instead asked to pay him less than that. That's what Brockers walked away from.

The Rams knew about the ankle all along, obviously, and were comfortable with the fact that he can play on it, since they've seen him do it.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying

by snackdaddy
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Just some details on a minor point. They didn't back out of the deal, Brockers did.

I remember when Saffold's deal with the Raiders feel through due to the physical. The Rams re-signed him knowing about his health history. Worked out very good for both. They know Brockers history and are comfortable with it. Which makes me comfortable with their decision to re-sign him when they had the chance.

by AvengerRam
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Aaron Donald was upset when he thought Brockers was leaving, and thrilled when it was announced he is coming back.

That endorsement is good enough for me!

by CanuckRightWinger
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Agreed snackdaddy…..
our Senior Director, Sports Medicine & Performance, one Reggie Scott seems very competent IMHO.

I may not be the biggest fan of Aaron Kromer's :lol2: .....
but I think Reggie Scott is a big asset for the Rams Team. :idea2:

So if Reggie okayed Brockers medically, then I gotta think all is good with our veteran DE. 8-)

by Elvis
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://www.therams.com/news/rams-dc-br ... to-defense

Rams DC Brandon Staley breaks down rookie additions to defense

Stu Jackson
STAFF WRITER

Midway through the Rams' virtual offseason program, defensive coordinator Brandon Staley took the time to break down each of the unit's draft picks. Here's what he had to say about each as we get closer to training camp.

Terrell Lewis, OLB, Alabama
2019 college stats: 31 tackles, 11.5 for loss, six sacks and two pass breakups in 11 games; second team All-SEC selection.

Staley's take: "I think you guys are probably aware of his talent. His talent is not indicative of where he was drafted, but we're excited about the skillset he brings to the table, and hopefully we can get his best football. I think it's still ahead of him. I think he's still a developing player, but from a skillset standpoint, he's what you're looking for in an outside rusher."

Terrell Burgess, S, Utah
2019 college stats: 81 tackles, 7.5 for loss, one interception, five pass breakups while starting in 14 games; honorable mention All-Pac 12 recognition.

Staley's take: "Really formed good relationships with his college coaches, who I have a very high opinion of. (They had) like nine players drafted, they were the number two defense in the country. This guy played everywhere for them. I think he's a safety to start, but he can play nickel (defensive back). He's a 4.4 guy who's got movement, and so I think we can activate him in some different roles."

Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio State
2019 college stats: 62 tackles, two interceptions and four pass breakups in 14 starts; first team All-Big Ten selection.

Staley's take: "Two-time captain at Ohio State. I mean, you're talking about the premiere program in the country, two-time captain and he's only one of 14 guys that's ever been that. (Former Ohio State co-defensive coordinator) Jeff Hafley, we have a good relationship with him and he's just been raving about this guy. He's proven that so far in these meetings. We're excited to work with him."

Clay Johnston, ILB, Baylor
2019 college stats: 58 tackles, eight for loss, 2.5 sacks, one interception, five pass breakups in six games (suffered season-ending knee injury halfway through the year); second team All-Big 12 selection.

Staley's take: "He's probably going to be known for his reaction to being drafted for now, but hopefully we'll be getting him to playing some good football. But just the makeup, being a coach's son, being part of that transformation of Baylor and that team becoming a national program, he's an impressive guy to talk football with and hopefully we can get his knee healthy."

• 7 / 7
70 posts Apr 16 2024