78 posts
  • 5 / 8
  • 1
  • 5
  • 8
 by ramsman34
1 week ago
 Total posts:   4077  
 Joined:  Apr 16 2015
United States of America   Back in LA baby!
Superstar

The shit Staley will be able to do from a front to coverage scheme and disguise standpoint should be staggering. He has so many versatile chess pieces he can move around the formation. I think our D is goi g to be scary - even if we are inexperienced at LB. there are a number of talented athletes in that group. Just gotta find out how talented a football players each is.

 by Zen_Ronin
1 week ago
 Total posts:   1402  
 Joined:  Sep 26 2016
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl


 by Elvis
1 week ago
 Total posts:   25734  
 Joined:  Mar 28 2015
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://www.therams.com/news/defensive- ... ed-players

Stu Jackson
STAFF WRITER

Even from a distance and via digital means, new Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley is making his presence felt with a new, yet familiar attitude.

"I mean, the energy (Staley) brings, it's just new. It's kind of like a (Sean) McVay of the defense almost, with the way he talks, how smart he is and things like that," Hill said, referring to the Rams head coach. "Thinking outside the box, I feel like that's what I needed. He's younger in a sense that he can relate to the players a lot."

Staley has held his current position since early February. One month into his tenure, the COVID-19 pandemic shut down NFL teams' facilities, which means Hill and other defensive players have been getting to know him and his scheme through remote meetings during the Rams' virtual offseason program.

Despite the absence of interpersonal interaction, Staley's attitude and vision for the defense are generating excitement.

Hill, who emerged as a starter last season, said the Rams defensive backs had certain ideas they felt they might be able to incorporate into their defense but it wouldn't be taught throughout the whole unit. Consequently, Los Angeles' defensive players wouldn't be able to get in syc.

"But when (Staley's) coaching some of these things, it's like, ok, we was trying to do that last yeah and get that done, but you already coaching it," Hill said. "So now we are all going to be on the same page and it's going to be even easier. These ideas, it's going to make the scheme a lot easier in being able to play different routes and everybody's going to be on the same page."

The player who can best speak to Staley's impact is new outside linebacker Leonard Floyd, whom Staley coached in Chicago in 2017 and 2018.

"He's very energetic," Floyd said. "Like, I can't think of a day where he wasn't ready to get out and go play. He'll have you ready to play. Basically every day we've been having virtual meetings, he's been having guys ready to get on the field and go play. It's just the way words come out of his mouth, he uses it the right way and it motivates everybody."

Players feed off that approach, according to Hill, seeing how in tune the players are with him. And as the Rams' virtual offense program continues, their defense stands to benefit from it.

"The defense that he's bringing in, the scheme that he's bringing in, I think there's a lot of opportunity to make a lot of plays for everybody," Hill said. "I like him a lot, to be honest."

Staley said in times like this, it's important to create that energy.

"We've all been in classes or conferences or seminars where a lot of it's depending on how good the teacher or presenter is for how you really learn the material," Staley said on a video conference with reporters Thursday. "So what we've tried to do as coaches is be on fire every day, to prepare something that is really going to help them get better, making as like being in the office or on the field as possible."

 by PARAM
1 week ago
 Total posts:   5082  
 Joined:  Jul 15 2015
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Canuck was calling out Wade half way through the season. He made a comment about the old guy possibly having an inability to match up against these young OC's in the NFL. It also sounds like Hill, while not actually calling out Phillips, seems to prefer somebody to get his ass amped mentally. So it's not that Wade doesn't know defense and the NFL, it's just Staley brings a different approach. IMHO, Wade related to his players as much as Staley might but it's a subtle difference that might benefit the D. And kudos to McVay for seeing that and having the balls to let an NFL legend walk.

 by Dick84
1 week ago
 Total posts:   6301  
 Joined:  Oct 29 2015
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

Watched some of the last games of the season again.. Howard is a very decent player. Does *not* have the instincts or fluidity that Littleton has, but that's the way it goes, sometimes. I can only imagine that Kiser is going to be a massive improvement over Reeder. Reeder's a nice athlete, but made such little impact. Long was still thinking a lot, I believe. He has the physical stuff needed to be a starter, eventually.. he just needs to build up his knowledge. Williams is a starter level corner, for sure. A good one at that. Fowler made a lot of plays in the run game... I hope that the group replacing him can be close to that... but, maybe, with Robinson, Floyd and Kiser.. he won't be missed too much.
That secondary.. with Burgess added... man... it could be a lot of fun.

 by 69RamFan
1 week ago
 Total posts:   912  
 Joined:  Oct 15 2016
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:Watched some of the last games of the season again.. Howard is a very decent player. Does *not* have the instincts or fluidity that Littleton has, but that's the way it goes, sometimes. I can only imagine that Kiser is going to be a massive improvement over Reeder. Reeder's a nice athlete, but made such little impact. Long was still thinking a lot, I believe. He has the physical stuff needed to be a starter, eventually.. he just needs to build up his knowledge. Williams is a starter level corner, for sure. A good one at that. Fowler made a lot of plays in the run game... I hope that the group replacing him can be close to that... but, maybe, with Robinson, Floyd and Kiser.. he won't be missed too much.
That secondary.. with Burgess added... man... it could be a lot of fun.


We can't forget about Kenny Young,,, there was a reason why we traded for him...
His stats for the Ravens, he had six starts with 2.5 sacks 7 TFL and 9 QBhits… with 468 snap counts since 2018 & 19 with the Ravens....

I reviewed some of his tape with the Ravens... he looks solid...

I would be expecting him to start with possibly Kiser as the other ILB....

 by R4L
1 week ago
 Total posts:   1171  
 Joined:  May 08 2017
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

69RamFan wrote:We can't forget about Kenny Young,,, there was a reason why we traded for him...
His stats for the Ravens, he had six starts with 2.5 sacks 7 TFL and 9 QBhits… with 468 snap counts since 2018 & 19 with the Ravens....

I reviewed some of his tape with the Ravens... he looks solid...

I would be expecting him to start with possibly Kiser as the other ILB....


Thanks. I remember you saying something similar when they traded for him.

 by aeneas1
1 week ago
 Total posts:   13228  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

 by Dick84
1 week ago
 Total posts:   6301  
 Joined:  Oct 29 2015
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

69RamFan wrote:We can't forget about Kenny Young,,, there was a reason why we traded for him...
His stats for the Ravens, he had six starts with 2.5 sacks 7 TFL and 9 QBhits… with 468 snap counts since 2018 & 19 with the Ravens....

I reviewed some of his tape with the Ravens... he looks solid...

I would be expecting him to start with possibly Kiser as the other ILB....


They've said it's an open competition. I like what Young profiles as, but the fact he didn't play a single down on D last year worries me a little.

 by 69RamFan
1 week ago
 Total posts:   912  
 Joined:  Oct 15 2016
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:They've said it's an open competition. I like what Young profiles as, but the fact he didn't play a single down on D last year worries me a little.


I think that has more to do with coming in at the middle of the season,

being behind Littleton and Howard and not up to date knowing the playbook...

While Howard was in this system for two years...

Yes I can see a competition, and I would give Young a slight edge with a new DC on board...

  • 5 / 8
  • 1
  • 5
  • 8
78 posts Jun 04 2020