25 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by BobCarl
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:You don't pay a guy this much to backup with our cap situation, imo...

He ain't no Rodney Hudson, but I don't see how this contract guarantees him the starting job.

by BobCarl
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4296  
Superstar

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Not a fan of this signing.

I like having a guy that can be a solid backup at more than one position.

Wasn't it Sun Tzu that said: "An Army without a plan "B" plans to fail?"

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

As you accurately and insightfully said BobCarl…..

"Austin Blythe is no Rodney Hudson, sportsfans!!!"....or words to that effect ;)

by JackPMiller
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2729  
Superstar

Blythe is getting $3.9M? Seriously? No one else wanted him. We could have gotten Blythe back for $1M. Jeesh.

Getting two new ugly logos, and overpaying for two Offensive Linemen, that the other 29 did not want. Ugh.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:FWIW, I do not hate Blythe.....I just thought McSnead would be more inventive in finding a solution. Who knows, maybe they still will in 4 weeks at Draft time.

Actually, Blythe was probably the best solution. They have limited cap space to sign a higher priced free agent. Blythe may not have been that good at guard but he clearly was an upgrade over Allen at center. And there is that continuity thing. For the 2020 season it was the best solution.

Of course, it would be a good idea to draft a replacement. Blythe is only under contract for one season. But lets get real here. The odds of finding a starter on day 2 or 3 of the draft are not high. They have more pressing needs at the moment. If they do draft a center it will be for beyond 2020.

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Actually, Blythe was probably the best solution. They have limited cap space to sign a higher priced free agent. Blythe may not have been that good at guard but he clearly was an upgrade over Allen at center. And there is that continuity thing. For the 2020 season it was the best solution.

Of course, it would be a good idea to draft a replacement. Blythe is only under contract for one season. But lets get real here. The odds of finding a starter on day 2 or 3 of the draft are not high. They have more pressing needs at the moment. If they do draft a center it will be for beyond 2020.

BINGO!!!!

I just posted a thread of the top 90 available free agents (as of 3/31), according to PFF, many folks favorite site to rank players. Who would have been a better choice than Blythe and Whitworth? Keep in mind, even if a guy on that list floats your boat, Blythe and Whitworth have absolutely zero playbook to learn. They know it already.

As far as a replacement, I agree. An OC would be nice in the draft....for the future with zero expectation to play this year.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Um, before I order all ChurchBells to ring thoughout the nation in celebration over the signing of Austin Blythe....a couple of facts:

Blythe was a 27 year old UFA.
He signed a ONE YEAR DEAL.
.....so it's not like Austin Blythe (and his Agent, Slim Pickins) took the League by storm, eh! :idea2:

From Rams Management Standpoint:
McSnead must've been sold by Kromer that Los Ramos only need the vet-bandaid-solution from Blythe for a single season, as AK has a diamond in the rough OC for the Rams future needs amongst Allen, Corbett, Trewyn, Shelton, Kolone, Demby et al. :?

From Blythe Camp Standpoint:
The phone wasn't ringing-off-the-hook......so they took the ONE YEAR deal....and they took it EARLY! :idea2:
Maybe Blythe thinks he can play lights out in 2020, and get a big 2021 UFA payday like Dante Fowler did following his One-Year-Prove-It deal. :?2:

Let's hope Austin Blythe, the former Iowa State wrestling champion, heals up his 2 shoulders and lower leg injuries 100% for 2020 and plays solidly at OC for Goff and the Rams.

Let us hope to not see a Jake Long//Kyle Turley post-operative return-to-play disaster eh!

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Um, before I order all ChurchBells to ring thoughout the nation in celebration over the signing of Austin Blythe....

You have that power? I think that request would be just a bit over the top.

by safer
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1275  
Pro Bowl

Can I choose which melody they will play? :)
All in fun guys!

• 2 / 3
25 posts Apr 18 2024