• 1 / 1
 by AvengerRam
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Here' is where we stand right now:

Quarterbacks: Weaker
Right now, we don't really have a No. 2 QB. There are options out there, so I expect that this score will go to Status Quo before long.

Running Backs: Weaker
I believe that, particularly if we add talent via the draft, this unit may perform better in 2020 than it did in 2019. Nonetheless, at the present moment, it would be disingenuous to assert that we didn't take a talent hit when Gurley was released.

Receiving Corps: Status Quo
Arguably our strongest unit has the same cast as last year.

Offensive Line: Status Quo
The same players from last year return. I'd like to say Stronger due to the anticipated development of young players like Edwards and Evans, but right now, I think SQ is the fair rating.

Defensive Line: Stronger
With Brockers returning, last year's starters remain. Added to the mix is Robinson, who gives us a big body to clog the middle and free up Aaron Donald. Young players SJD and Gaines provide solid depth.

Linebackers: Weaker
It was somewhat surprising to see Fowler, Littleton and Matthews all leave. I, for one, thought we'd keep at least one. Floyd may help, and we've got some young players with promise, but this seems to be the biggest need area on the team right now.

Defensive Backs: Status Quo
Though we lost a key player in NRC, I think that the return of Johnson and the opportunity to fully incorporate Ramsey into the defensive scheme offsets that loss. Also have hope for Long as a role player.

Special Teams: Weaker
GZ will need to be replaced. He had an off year in 2019, so he is far from irreplaceable. However, right now, we really don't have a kicker.

Overall, this might seem like a grim review, but I'm not overly concerned. I think that most of these issues can be adequately addressed.

Can we start 2020 with a better overall roster than 2019? Probably not, but perhaps we can still have a better team. Still have optimism on that front.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

On the surface, losing Gurley would seem like a huge loss. Absolutely make us weaker. But he was not effective last season so how much loss? And how much of that perception of being weaker is still based on his past performances? Would he return to his old form? We don't know. But I would think the team knew more about the mystery that was his knee than any of us did.

Brockers returning does seem to make the line better. We signed a pretty good run stuffer to help him and Donald. I would agree with your assessments on weaker, status quo and stronger. But with the idea that the weaker areas could be addressed. Especially at running back. We know how much McVay values the run game. Play action is a staple of his offense.

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:On the surface, losing Gurley would seem like a huge loss. Absolutely make us weaker. But he was not effective last season so how much loss? And how much of that perception of being weaker is still based on his past performances? Would he return to his old form? We don't know. But I would think the team knew more about the mystery that was his knee than any of us did.

Brockers returning does seem to make the line better. We signed a pretty good run stuffer to help him and Donald. I would agree with your assessments on weaker, status quo and stronger. But with the idea that the weaker areas could be addressed. Especially at running back. We know how much McVay values the run game. Play action is a staple of his offense.

Yes, weaker because losing Gurley, Littleton and Fowler looks bad on paper but those may end up being status quo or better when it's all said and done. The key, as always, will be the offense. Can they keep the line healthy and enforce their will on the stronger defenses that they may face? They can beat the shit teams but they need to win more of those tough games than they did in 2019.

by actionjack
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3935  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Linebackers: Weaker
It was somewhat surprising to see Fowler, Littleton and Matthews all leave. I, for one, thought we'd keep at least one. Floyd may help, and we've got some young players with promise, but this seems to be the biggest need area on the team right now.

[/quote]

IMO much much weaker. We lost most of our sacks (not named AD) in losing Fowler, Matthews and Littleton. It will be key to add explosive talent in the draft. Hopefully we can get some bargain basement help towards the end of FA as well. We are very weak at all linebacker positions as it sits today, none have proven a thing in the NFL.

by AvengerRam
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:IMO much much weaker. We most of our sacks (not named AD) in losing Fowler, Matthews and Littleton. It will be key add explosive talent in the draft. Hopefully we can get some bargain basement help towards the end of FA as well. We are very weak at all linebacker positions as it sits today, none have proven a thing in the NFL.

I think that's fair. Right now, if the Rams took LBs with 2 of their first 3 or 4 picks, it would not surprise me at all.

by actionjack
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3935  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:What’s even out there at LB if affordable FA?

Markus Golden with the Giants, price getting better with each day

by safer
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Wofford is our back up QB, and I like him better now than I did Bortles there last year. I like this guy. I don't think we are weaker there...AND Goff should have a rebound year.
RB--yeah, Gurley is a loss, but whoever we bring in /draft--between him and Henderson, I'd bet big money their stats are better than what Todd gave us in '19. Year to year, i think our RB group will have better stats than last year. Obviously, the Old Gurley was far superior to anything we should hope for/expect, this year.
Wide outs? Better this year with Cooks being healthy, plus Reynolds continues to improve, AND Higbee is becoming a Kittles (ok, lite) type of T/E.
Oline---IF Whit did have shoulder issues last year then he may be able to up his play. I have to believe that Evans, Edwards, Corbett and Havenstein come into camp FAR better than they did last year. Noteboom might need another year to get fully healthy, but hopefully he will show enough to be our LT of the future. That being said, we don't have any one guy who is a total stud amongst this group. Better than last year, but not as good as the '18 OL.
Dline is elite. Really is.
I think our OLBER's will prove to be quite strong. MLBER's is our greatest void, and it's truly hard to figure out just how our coaches see this group of really young, and untested guys. Wouldn't surprise me to see us go with a MLBer early in this draft. Secondary is a top 2-3 unit. Both the Niners and the Cards will be better this year. Gonna be a very tough division in '20!

• 1 / 1
8 posts Apr 16 2024