75 posts
  • 1 / 8
 by AvengerRam
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

The current practice of "social distancing" will undoubtedly have a significant impact on draft scouting. Pro Days and private workouts have been cancelled, and teams cannot have potential draftees come to their facilities for interviews.

The inability to meet players in person could definitely add risk factors to drafting players. Personnel professionals often say that these types of meetings are invaluable in terms of assessing personalities, character, desire, knowledge of the game, and maturity. Teams may gravitate, as a result, to players they met during Senior Bowl week and the Combine before the restrictions went into place.

One potential positive is that teams might, without the benefit of Pro Days and visits, rely more on good, old fashioned, game tape analysis. I've often felt that many good players drop because their workouts are overvalued and their game films undervalued.

It will be interesting to see if this impacts the accuracy of draftee evaluations. I won't be surprised if the 2020 draft class has a higher % of both early round busts and late round studs than we typically see.

Who knows... maybe the Rams can find one of those falling stars in Round 2!

by ramsman34
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8525  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

This kinda makes not having a first rounder better?? Lol. But, I am with you - what does their film say? What do their coaches say? I assume they can conduct phone or Skype interviews with players, coaches, etc.

So I think we should be ok.

But, there will be gems who did not attend the combine or all star bowl games who teams don’t have “measurable”s on; these players will drop. If a teams has done their homework, “steals” can be had.

by ramsman34
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8525  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I think we kill it from they 4th round on. I have no idea how much movement there will be this draft. But, I can see Les trying to load up in the mid rounds - possibly even trading out of the second to do so.

But, who knows.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

When Jack Youngblood was selected by Los Ramos in the First Round of the 1971 NFL Draft, he only found out when he got a call from his local Florida radio station, who asked him to come to the studio so they would make a call to the Rams on air.....and make a good sports story for the day.

Youngblood goes down there and the radio sports guy already had Rams HC Tommy TheUCLAChessMaster :roll2: Prothro on the phone-line. Youngblood was petrified, as he did not know the Rams HC's name. Somebody saved the day and whispered it into Jack's year.....and the phone call went off okay. So things like the Draft were run different back before technology took over our lives....
...AND...

...that Jack Youngblood pick seemed to turn out "okay" for Los Ramos no? ;) :arrow2: 8-)

....so if Snead has guys in his scouting cadre with good eyes and instincts.....and the ability to pound the table for guys they think could be real troopers now and into the future for the Rams.....then maybe this Draft ends up being one of our better ones. Time will tell.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Well, maybe SF, Seattle and AZ will screw up with their picks because of this. 8-) :twisted2:

by Elvis
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   38458  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I guess this is as good a thread as any to talk about the upcoming draft.

A couple mocks have us taking LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire with our 2nd rounder...

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I guess this is as good a thread as any to talk about the upcoming draft.

A couple mocks have us taking LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire with our 2nd rounder...

I would be real happy if they spent their first or second pick on a RB. I think it's perhaps the biggest need for the offense. I also like the numbers on the kid from Utah, Zack Moss. He's a good receiver like Clyde E-H. Any chance Dobbins is around at #52?

by AvengerRam
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I guess this is as good a thread as any to talk about the upcoming draft.

Works for me. Changed thread title.

• 1 / 8
75 posts Apr 19 2024