7 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

The Rams had OL injuries this year and it had an affect on the offense. But regardless, we ended up with the #7 offense in the NFL anyway and the #11 scoring offense. So we must have some pretty talented guys behind that O line, right?

McVay is talented, we know that. His adjustment when confronted with personnel changes due to injury might leave something to be desired. But he's obviously a quick learner and towards the end of the year, he was rolling Goff out from behind that busted up OL, which clearly helped.

And speaking of Goff, he's never going to be a run threat except when we need 2 or 3 yards and the defense ignores him. But in the pocket, his presence, his skills and abilities and his arm leave me desiring no other QB. Mahomes is the best but I don't like my QB running too much. And Goff is TOUGH. He took a beating in college and he took a beating with Fisher and he took a beating last year. But that guy got up every time and did everything except say, "thank you sir, may I have another?"

At WR we have a crew that should be envied by most of the fans around the league. There were 9 wide receivers with 90 or more receptions. The Rams had 2. There were 25 wide receivers with 1,000 yards or more. The Rams had 2. There were 5 teams with two 1,000 yard wide receivers. The Rams with Kupp and Woods (184-2295 yds) ranked #3 in yards and TDs (12), #1 in receptions.

Tampa with Godwin and Evans (153-2490; #1 - 17 TD).
Dallas with Cooper and Gallup (145-2296; #2 - 14 TD).
Cleveland with Landry and Beckham (157-2209; #4 - 10 TD).
Chargers with Allen and Williams (153-2200; #5 - 8 TD).

Add the top TE from those teams to the mix and the Rams jump up to #1 in receptions and yards. Of course where we lacked production was RB receiving. Gurley's 31 receptions and 207 yards was surpassed by 28 running backs on 24 other teams. Yeah, that means 4 teams had 2 running backs with more receptions. His yardage was surpassed by 32 running backs on 28 other teams. We need a receiving threat out of the backfield, for sure. Can Henderson be that guy?

As far as #3 receivers go, Cooks with 42 receptions and 583 yards was only surpassed by four other #3 receivers. Cobb (Dal - 55 - 828), Slayton (NYG - 48 - 740), Amendola (Det - 62 -678) and Conley (Jax - 47 - 775). But Cooks missed some time. I'd say the Rams have one of the best WR corps in the NFL and the numbers back it up. Add a steady Josh Reynolds to that group and it's hard to beat.

Cause for concern. In our division, Goff threw 150 more passes than Garapolo, 110 more than Wilson and 84 more than Murray. Though Seattle and Arizona had better receiving production out of the backfield, it wasn't a huge discrepancy. Where our passing game suffered was in the run game setting up play action. Our top 3 RBs ran 331 times for 1259 yards. SF's top 3, 397 for 1939. Seattle's 366 for 1672. Of course we need to get the run game back up to snuff to help the passing game.

by azramsfan93
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Nit picking, but we had the #7 offense, not the #9. I also believe that the O-line came together nicely late the season when Edwards and Evans got their legs underneath them.

PARAM wrote:The Rams had OL injuries this year and it had an affect on the offense. But regardless, we ended up with the #9 offense in the NFL anyway and the #11 scoring offense. So we must have some pretty talented guys behind that O line, right?

And speaking of Goff, he's never going to be a run threat except when we need 2 or 3 yards and the defense ignores him. But in the pocket, his presence, his skills and abilities and his arm leave me desiring no other QB. Mahomes is the best but I don't like my QB running too much. And Goff is TOUGH. He took a beating in college and he took a beating with Fisher and he took a beating last year. But that guy got up every time and did everything except say, "thank you sir, may I have another?"

I agree, I am happy with Goff overall. He is still quite young and should continue to improve.

At WR we have a crew that should be envied by most of the fans around the league. There were 9 wide receivers with 90 or more receptions. The Rams had 2. There were 25 wide receivers with 1,000 yards or more. The Rams had 2. There were 5 teams with two 1,000 yard wide receivers. The Rams with Kupp and Woods (184-2295 yds) ranked #3 in yards and TDs (12), #1 in receptions.

Tampa with Godwin and Evans (153-2490; #1 - 17 TD).
Dallas with Cooper and Gallup (145-2296; #2 - 14 TD).
Cleveland with Landry and Beckham (157-2209; #4 - 10 TD).
Chargers with Allen and Williams (153-2200; #5 - 8 TD).

Add the top TE from those teams to the mix and the Rams jump up to #1 in receptions and yards. Of course where we lacked production was RB receiving. Gurley's 31 receptions and 207 yards was surpassed by 28 running backs on 24 other teams. Yeah, that means 4 teams had 2 running backs with more receptions. His yardage was surpassed by 32 running backs on 28 other teams. We need a receiving threat out of the backfield, for sure. Can Henderson be that guy?

As far as #3 receivers go, Cooks with 42 receptions and 583 yards was only surpassed by four other #3 receivers. Cobb (Dal - 55 - 828), Slayton (NYG - 48 - 740), Amendola (Det - 62 -678) and Conley (Jax - 47 - 775). But Cooks missed some time. I'd say the Rams have one of the best WR corps in the NFL and the numbers back it up. Add a steady Josh Reynolds to that group and it's hard to beat.

Cause for concern. In our division, Goff threw 150 more passes than Garapolo, 110 more than Wilson and 84 more than Murray. Though Seattle and Arizona had better receiving production out of the backfield, it wasn't a huge discrepancy. Where our passing game suffered was in the run game setting up play action. Our top 3 RBs ran 331 times for 1259 yards. SF's top 3, 397 for 1939. Seattle's 366 for 1672. Of course we need to get the run game back up to snuff to help the passing game.

I think our offense will benefit from Gurley being gone. McVay will no longer feel pressure to "get Gurley involved" and call the plays as he sees fit. RB by committee should help keep defenses off balance as well. I am not worried about the offense. I expect most of our higher draft picks will be on the defensive side.

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

azramsfan93 wrote:Nit picking, but we had the #7 offense, not the #9. I also believe that the O-line came together nicely late the season when Edwards and Evans got their legs underneath them.

I agree, I am happy with Goff overall. He is still quite young and should continue to improve.

I think our offense will benefit from Gurley being gone. McVay will no longer feel pressure to "get Gurley involved" and call the plays as he sees fit. RB by committee should help keep defenses off balance as well. I am not worried about the offense. I expect most of our higher draft picks will be on the defensive side.

Thanks. Corrected that.

I like your points about the offense benefiting from RB by committee. SF and Seattle have been operating that way.

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

If you have a stud you run him. If not then run by committee. Scheme wise there are benefits to multiple guys like stronger 4th quarter legs and tougher run keys for the other guys D.
Let's see how our line can help produce ..

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:The emergence of Higbee can’t be overstated, imo.
You add a healthy Everett and healthy RBs and improve the Oline???
Hoping for a lot of two TE sets this year.

Improve the O line, use two TE sets sounds like a plan. A three headed running back monster would be nice. Everett and Higbee can both catch. Everett can run real well after the catch, Higbee ain't bad but he not as proficient. Higbee can block real well and Everrett ain't so proficient. Sounds like the perfect compliment and plenty for the defense to think about.

I know this is a passing game thread but it's about the offense. On the Rams running game and Gurley. I have question (I asked it in another thread; the wrong one).

Did he ding something in the Green Bay game back in 2018? If you cut the last 3 regular seasons in half, over the first 24 games the Rams ran the ball 34 times or more in almost a third of them (7). In the last 24 they only did that 5 times, and two of those were without Gurley, when they signed CJ. They ran it less than 25 times those first 24 games just 6 times. Over the last 24, 13 times. I gotta believe he was having problems as far back as midseason 2018. I know it could be nothing more than the O line but........?

BTW, since I'm practicing social distancing, I watched the KC game and Minnesota games from 2018. Decided I didn't have enough so I watched week 15 of 2017. Brought me almost the same feeling as week 5, 1999.

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I'll disagree on the way you characterized Higbee running after the catch.. he's a fucking beast. Just a lot bigger than Everett so it looks different. Higbee had 14 yards less after the catch than Kittle.. that says a lot. And.. yep.. Everett's great with the ball in his hands, too. Those two getting fed regularly??? Damn!!

Your right. Higbee is a beast while Everett is like a big WR with speed. But they're both good receivers. Use them....together.

by PARAM
4 years 4 days ago
Hall of Fame

Well now with Brandin Cooks gone, the receiving/passing game changes a bit. A lot more Josh Reynolds, who whether covering for the injured Cooks or the injured Kupp, has excelled. Still think they're going to add a WR in the draft.

I guess the questions are how many of these WRs are NFL ready? I like a couple but they're not traditional stud WRs. KJ Hamler from Penn St., who reminds me of Az Hakim and a jack of all trades, Antonio Gibson from Memphis, who can probably be had much later.

• 1 / 1
7 posts Apr 16 2024