42 posts
  • 2 / 5
 by TomSlick
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

If the relationship did sour with both Gurley and Bones then perhaps it has to do with McVay being very comfortable in his HC shoes now and no longer willing to let certain issues slide. We've all been in situations where you tend to let things go because you don't want to rock the boat too much; however, at some point you feel comfortable enough to make the uncomfortable decisions.

I've got faith in McVay to keep this franchise going well for as long as he is HC.

by moklerman
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

TomSlick wrote:If the relationship did sour with both Gurley and Bones then perhaps it has to do with McVay being very comfortable in his HC shoes now and no longer willing to let certain issues slide. We've all been in situations where you tend to let things go because you don't want to rock the boat too much; however, at some point you feel comfortable enough to make the uncomfortable decisions.

I've got faith in McVay to keep this franchise going well for as long as he is HC.
I would be right there with you if the personnel decisions hadn't been so seemingly shaky. We've spent a lot of 1st round picks on a variety of guys that I thought we were planning to keep. Had a plan to keep. But the short term rentals on guys who are now gone are piling up, the salary cap is stretched thin, stars are leaving, coaches are being let go...like I said, it's probably more about my expectations than anything to really be alarmed about but what looked like a unified command and free agent destination has started to erode.

by actionjack
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3935  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:After listening to Hammond and JB Long on the Athletic podcast.. I feel fine about it. I buy into what they're saying that a lot of what's going on is McVay taking more control. We'll see.
But.. getting Brockers back cheap is good luck and a smart move, imo. Going into the draft with one less hole to fill.

Can you elaborate more about what was said? Curious if not retaining Bones was part of that thinking?

by laram
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   444  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

“We still got AD”

Yeah and what does that get you?

What did AD produce in the SB? Forget that he had NO sacks during their playoff run, NONE!

Ya know I’ve always been told that great players play great when the light is the brightest.

Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White.

Yeah....GR8 players that played great when it mattered.

Rams wanna really do something to move this team forward?

Do a Herschel Walker type deal with Aaron Donald.

Get a monster pass rushing end and offensive tackle first!

Then grab a wide receiver and cut Cooksie after the season.

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

laram wrote:“We still got AD”

What did AD produce in the SB? Forget that he had NO sacks during their playoff run, NONE!

Ya know I’ve always been told that great players play great when the light is the brightest.

Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White.

Sounds like a great move. Man, we can only hope!

by moklerman
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

They were talking about something like this the other day on the radio. Basically, was it easier to argue that Brady would be great without Billichick or the other way around? One point being made was how pedestrian Brady's numbers have been in the playoffs, especially compared to his regular season numbers.

They rightly brought up guys like Warner and Starr who both not only maintained their high level of regular season production but actually exceeded it.

by AvengerRam
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

So now AD is a guy who doesn’t show up in big games and should be traded?

Sigh.

No thanks.

Of course, it worked great for the Raiders. They had an elite defender, too, and traded him for a boatload of picks after missing the playoffs. Worked out great for them.

Oh...wait...

by aeneas1
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

good friggin' grief...

brady, brees and prescott were held to a combined 3 tds, 2 picks, and an 85.3 qb rating while leading their teams to an average of just 19.3 offensive points - clearly no-show donald had nothing to do with that, instead he just had his thumb up his ass.... grab a glove and get in the game dude. :roll2:

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Sports talk radio. The only thing missing is "good cop". Put out a controversial scenario and get a lot of callers.

by azramsfan93
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:The offense is our identity and it's basically intact.

McVay is still the HC/Play caller, Goff is still the QB, the receivers are the same, still got Higbee and Everett, the staff is mostly the same with a few minor tweaks (but that's been true every year with McVay). Yeah Gurley is gone and that's big but overall i don't see a lot of change.

The defense is gonna be different but we still got AD. We've had a revolving door at CB since McVay has been here. That's not new.

Also, i'm not so sure there's gonna be a 2020 season, at least not a normal one so that'll be different...

Great post, and I agree.

I said in another post that Gurley being gone, at least the Gurley we all saw for the past 20 games or so, may be a good thing. I always felt McVay was trying to force Gurley into the game plan even when it was not working. He won't be encumbered by this going forward.

On defense, I am actually quite excited to see how this unit performs. I think our D-line will be much better than before (especially versus the run), and our backfield is as good as any in the NFL. LB is the real question, but ILB and their ability to stuff the run is what I want to see. I think we have a lot of talent at OLB - I expect a big year from Obo and Samson. Floyd would be icing if he can step up to his potential.

I am glad that McVay is taking control of the bigger picture. No more letting Wade run the defense on his own. Fangio's defenses have always been top notch.

• 2 / 5
42 posts Apr 16 2024