27 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by PARAM
2 months ago
 Total posts:   5082  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Question is, do we think guys like Evans, Edwards, Shelton, Corbett, Noteboom and Allen will one day be quality NFL starters? Or a better question, do McVay and Snead think that? Because if they do, I don't see them drafting any linemen with their earlier picks. Maybe a late round project or two. Because those guys are all young and have gotten some playing time. If the team thinks these guys have a future I'd be more inclined to think they go RB and defense in the draft. Particularly edge rusher and LB.

Me, I'm hopeful they were right when they picked these guys. A few of them have shown promise. For all we know, we could be in position to field another good line like in 2017 and 2018. They certainly improved in pass blocking towards the end of the season. As far as run blocking, I have to question how much was that and how much was Gurley. He certainly did not look like the 2017/2018 version of himself.

Who knows? But with them signing Whitworth and Blythe, they like them. Hav is still around and they have 5 young guys with experience, plus a few more further down on the depth chart. Would it surprise me if they drafted an OL? No. Do I expect it? Not early. I think with Gurley leaving they need somebody who's a good receiver out of the backfield but also a good running back to go with Brown and Henderson. There might be a good one left at #52 or a little lower.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they took the best WR who dropped to the 4th round, if there is one. This draft is loaded at WR with everything I've read and Cooks noggin is a little soft. They have Reynolds who just seems to make plays when they ask him to but I'd like another big WR or a very fast deep threat.

And there were rumors they had talked to a lot of TEs. Now does that mean good receiving TEs or good blocking TE's? How about one who does both?

The defense? Load up as much as they can.

by snackdaddy
2 months ago
 Total posts:   6733  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The defense? Load up as much as they can.

This I can agree with. On offense they might need another running back. I feel like the last draft and a couple other moves we made will help us with depth this season. Because of the inexperience, we really had no depth early last season. We should be better in that area.

And on defense, they seem to be worse off when you consider losing Fowler, Littleton and Brockers. Weddle retired and they cut Matthews and NRC. But honestly, they were not a good defensive team last year. Maybe change isn't a bad thing.

NRC was not as good as he was the previous couple years. Matthews and Weddle both looked a step too slow most plays.

Brockers is a good leader and you could do worse. But overall he's closer to a JAG than an upper tier player.

Fowler had those 11.5 sacks, but its been pointed out that in 13 games he had 4.5 sacks. Did we really lose an impact player?

Littleton does some good things but he is not an impact talent. And being an over achiever, I have to wonder if we over valued him because of our feelings for a guy like that. We love those underdog stories.

I don't know, maybe the changes on defense won't work. Then again, maybe they will. McVay will have his hands on the defense more than he did. He's a smart guy. I know he wants a more reactive defense than one who sticks to the game plan no matter what.

I believe if they can do a better job against the run it will make them better overall. Force teams into more predictable situations. As far as offense, I do believe we will be just fine there.

by faulkrram
2 months ago
 Total posts:   36  
United States of America   Vermeil Country
Undrafted Free Agent

Snack!! What's up Man? You retired yet? Still keeping them boys in line? I moved up to Eagle Lake if you wanna ever come up fishing, let me know. Good to see a lot of the boys still here. You ever hear from Dennis? What happened to the Legend?
@snackdaddy

by snackdaddy
2 months ago
 Total posts:   6733  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

faulkrram wrote:Snack!! What's up Man? You retired yet? Still keeping them boys in line? I moved up to Eagle Lake if you wanna ever come up fishing, let me know. Good to see a lot of the boys still here. You ever hear from Dennis? What happened to the Legend?
@snackdaddy

Hey faulker, long time no see. Yup, retired a couple years ago. My new job is golfing. 8-)

Not sure who Dennis is. Legend's still around. You'll see him more over in General Discussion. Eagle Lake? Sounds nice. Bet there's some good fishing up there.

Yup, a lot of the old RRF gang's here. Some of the St Louis people left after the move. I think RRF finally shut down. It was a ghost town the past few years.

by Dick84
2 months ago
 Total posts:   6301  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:This I can agree with. On offense they might need another running back. I feel like the last draft and a couple other moves we made will help us with depth this season. Because of the inexperience, we really had no depth early last season. We should be better in that area.

And on defense, they seem to be worse off when you consider losing Fowler, Littleton and Brockers. Weddle retired and they cut Matthews and NRC. But honestly, they were not a good defensive team last year. Maybe change isn't a bad thing.

NRC was not as good as he was the previous couple years. Matthews and Weddle both looked a step too slow most plays.

Brockers is a good leader and you could do worse. But overall he's closer to a JAG than an upper tier player.

Fowler had those 11.5 sacks, but its been pointed out that in 13 games he had 4.5 sacks. Did we really lose an impact player?

Littleton does some good things but he is not an impact talent. And being an over achiever, I have to wonder if we over valued him because of our feelings for a guy like that. We love those underdog stories.

I don't know, maybe the changes on defense won't work. Then again, maybe they will. McVay will have his hands on the defense more than he did. He's a smart guy. I know he wants a more reactive defense than one who sticks to the game plan no matter what.

I believe if they can do a better job against the run it will make them better overall. Force teams into more predictable situations. As far as offense, I do believe we will be just fine there.

Good post.
I actually think the Rams will upgrade the slot position with Williams.. and he can do a better job on the outside than NRC. Not knocking NRC.. I think Williams is badass.
JJ is at least as fast now as Weddle was at the end of last year.. I think he's going to be really good at FS, to be honest.
Rapp is only going to be better and he was good last year as a rookie.
Linebacker is the biggest question. Right now? It's Kiser and Howard or Young.. but we still have the draft and there are vets floating out there right now like Barron and Tree (only if they're dirt cheap).
Edge.. Losing Fowler hurts some, for sure. We have to hope that Obo, Ebukam, Polite and a draft pick can come close to making up for the loss, overall. Floyd will be good.
DL will be stout.
With a new coordinator and a couple of draft picks? Who knows? This D has Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.. two difference makers who distort their level of the defense. I think they'll be better, as a unit.

by faulkrram
2 months ago
 Total posts:   36  
United States of America   Vermeil Country
Undrafted Free Agent

Good news. Golf is a very challenging sport. Once I shot a hole in one, but found out later fire arms were illegal at the course! Lol's…..Yes fishing is really excellent up here. Sold the Ranch in Calistoga,kids moved to Oregon and Colorado. I'm a proud Grandpa now as life is good. Look up Eagle Lake trout...Best trout fishing in North America on certain days loll's...Congrats on retirement and don't let your meat loaf..

by Dick84
2 months ago
 Total posts:   6301  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

Something I found interesting and hope others do.. take a look at the PFF numbers for the starting guards for the 49ers, Person and Tomlinson and then look at the numbers for Corbett an Edwards.
I honestly believe Edwards will be a really good guard this coming year.. he really did well in pass pro in some games.. I think he got a grade in the 80's once.
Right tackle was an issue.. but.. I really believe.. the biggest issue was McVay waiting too long to really mix up the run game more and personnel packages more.
I know people want to spend big on the Oline, and I wouldn't argue a pick in the top 3 rounds.. but we should be open to the possibility that most of the answers are on the roster.

• 3 / 3
27 posts May 31 2020