23 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by snackdaddy
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:What do people thing about Noteboom taking over Right Tackle?

Its possible he's a better tackle than he is a guard. But I think they plan to play him at guard next to Whitworth. I'm hoping the time he had the first 5 or 6 games will prepare him better. Not sure he was all that good the first few games. I remember Demarco Farr saying Noteboom was going to be a starter somewhere on the line in 2019. He's too talented not to be.

by river
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   111  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

PARAM wrote:The O line of 2021 could be:

LT Noteboom
LG Edwards
C Allen/Blythe
RG Corbett
RT Evans

the loser of the Allen/Blythe comp as a backup. Shelton? Brewer? Kolone? Demby?

I'm sure they'll have a couple of new OL in camp by next year. Maybe a draft pick this April and definitely a draft pick next April.

I've already posted my mock draft & 2020 depth chart over on the NFL Draft sub-forum, so won't repeat it here, although anything we can do to increase competition works to our benefit.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11959

That said, i'll be pretty surprised if Blythe remains on the 2021 roster unless he somehow produces his best season to date as a Center during 2020.
jmo.

by ramsman34
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Whit - Corbett - Blythe - Edwards - Evans
Boom (swing)- Shelton/Brewer (swing) - Allen - Shelton /Brewer - Hav (could be gone after 2020 - I like Evans better, especially athletically)

Bye Demby

by Neil039
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2664  
Superstar

Wouldn't mind who ever suits up in there messed up logo gets some preseason snaps. I don't want them to play a ton but some to get timing down in game time situations.

by ramsman34
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Dick84 wrote:I'd have a healthy Noteboom over Evans at RT... I think. I believe there may be a competition there... if Havenstein is gone.

I am talking 2020. Don’t think Boom will be ready for at least half this season. But that’s just my guess based on the extent of injury and delay in strength/power/flex/explosion training.

by safer
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1275  
Pro Bowl

To me, Boom is far more suited to play outside. He has quick feet, athletic and uses his hands well. He is NOT the most powerful guy which is more to his detriment playing inside. JMHO

by PARAM
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:I am talking 2020. Don’t think Boom will be ready for at least half this season. But that’s just my guess based on the extent of injury and delay in strength/power/flex/explosion training.

Would that allow them to put him on PUP and save a roster spot?

by snackdaddy
4 years 3 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

Question is, do we think guys like Evans, Edwards, Shelton, Corbett, Noteboom and Allen will one day be quality NFL starters? Or a better question, do McVay and Snead think that? Because if they do, I don't see them drafting any linemen with their earlier picks. Maybe a late round project or two. Because those guys are all young and have gotten some playing time. If the team thinks these guys have a future I'd be more inclined to think they go RB and defense in the draft. Particularly edge rusher and LB.

Me, I'm hopeful they were right when they picked these guys. A few of them have shown promise. For all we know, we could be in position to field another good line like in 2017 and 2018. They certainly improved in pass blocking towards the end of the season. As far as run blocking, I have to question how much was that and how much was Gurley. He certainly did not look like the 2017/2018 version of himself.

by PARAM
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Question is, do we think guys like Evans, Edwards, Shelton, Corbett, Noteboom and Allen will one day be quality NFL starters? Or a better question, do McVay and Snead think that? Because if they do, I don't see them drafting any linemen with their earlier picks. Maybe a late round project or two. Because those guys are all young and have gotten some playing time. If the team thinks these guys have a future I'd be more inclined to think they go RB and defense in the draft. Particularly edge rusher and LB.

Me, I'm hopeful they were right when they picked these guys. A few of them have shown promise. For all we know, we could be in position to field another good line like in 2017 and 2018. They certainly improved in pass blocking towards the end of the season. As far as run blocking, I have to question how much was that and how much was Gurley. He certainly did not look like the 2017/2018 version of himself.

Who knows? But with them signing Whitworth and Blythe, they like them. Hav is still around and they have 5 young guys with experience, plus a few more further down on the depth chart. Would it surprise me if they drafted an OL? No. Do I expect it? Not early. I think with Gurley leaving they need somebody who's a good receiver out of the backfield but also a good running back to go with Brown and Henderson. There might be a good one left at #52 or a little lower.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they took the best WR who dropped to the 4th round, if there is one. This draft is loaded at WR with everything I've read and Cooks noggin is a little soft. They have Reynolds who just seems to make plays when they ask him to but I'd like another big WR or a very fast deep threat.

And there were rumors they had talked to a lot of TEs. Now does that mean good receiving TEs or good blocking TE's? How about one who does both?

The defense? Load up as much as they can.

by snackdaddy
4 years 3 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The defense? Load up as much as they can.

This I can agree with. On offense they might need another running back. I feel like the last draft and a couple other moves we made will help us with depth this season. Because of the inexperience, we really had no depth early last season. We should be better in that area.

And on defense, they seem to be worse off when you consider losing Fowler, Littleton and Brockers. Weddle retired and they cut Matthews and NRC. But honestly, they were not a good defensive team last year. Maybe change isn't a bad thing.

NRC was not as good as he was the previous couple years. Matthews and Weddle both looked a step too slow most plays.

Brockers is a good leader and you could do worse. But overall he's closer to a JAG than an upper tier player.

Fowler had those 11.5 sacks, but its been pointed out that in 13 games he had 4.5 sacks. Did we really lose an impact player?

Littleton does some good things but he is not an impact talent. And being an over achiever, I have to wonder if we over valued him because of our feelings for a guy like that. We love those underdog stories.

I don't know, maybe the changes on defense won't work. Then again, maybe they will. McVay will have his hands on the defense more than he did. He's a smart guy. I know he wants a more reactive defense than one who sticks to the game plan no matter what.

I believe if they can do a better job against the run it will make them better overall. Force teams into more predictable situations. As far as offense, I do believe we will be just fine there.

• 2 / 3
23 posts Apr 19 2024