1326 posts
  • 80 / 133
  • 1
  • 80
  • 133
 by azramsfan93
1 week ago
 Total posts:   640  
 Joined:  Jun 30 2015
United States of America   Arizona
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:The video we will be seeing from NYC will GREATLY temper any talk of a quick restart of the economy.


We shall see.

 by aeneas1
1 week ago
 Total posts:   12395  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

azramsfan93 wrote:Good question. They would have to weigh how long the unemployment payments will last when their job is gone. A personal choice.

how are things in your neck of the woods, has ducey locked things down yet? love arizona, spent a lot of time there through the years, mostly the phoenix/scottsdale area, was born there actually but left when i was very young... btw, there seems to be something odd going on with az's reporting numbers, positives are a whopping 54% of total tested, the u.s. average is 14%, of course it seems clear that reporting hasn't been an exact science.

 by /zn/
1 week ago
 Total posts:   4945  
 Joined:  Jun 28 2015
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

Many middle class to lower middle class Americans will be financially ruined if their jobs disappear due to small business collapse


I don't know that any of that will happen. But the fact that we even think about it means that our system has huge problems that need to be addressed. Other places are not worrying about these things. Talking about european democracies--where there's paid sick leave, fully provided health care with no chance of sudden disasters eliminating it, adequate basic wages, unemployment benefits etc.

There's things we can do like put temporary moritoriums on student loans and mortgage payments and back those unemployed by the crisis.

It really isn't a stark and pure black and white choice between a massive epidemic and economic ruin. If we act like it is then we're really just defending doing nothing about THIS economic system. When in fact what the virus is exposing is problems in this system.

....

....

 by AvengerRam
1 week ago
 Total posts:   3867  
 Joined:  Oct 03 2017
Israel   Longwood, FL
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:If we act like it is then we're really just defending doing nothing about THIS economic system. When in fact what the virus is exposing is problems in this system.

....

....

If this is going to become an indictment of capitalism, you can just pull this bus over and let me off at the next corner. :roll2:

I was already socially distancing myself from Bernie Bros before the virus hit. Certainly not interested in listening to that tired agenda now.

 by aeneas1
1 week ago
 Total posts:   12395  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

azramsfan93 wrote:The rapid rise in the confirmed cases is exacerbated by the massive increase in testing. I submit there were many more cases on March 15 than we knew.

The deaths are sobering. We need to get the respirators and therapeutics in place quickly!

NYC proves how hard it is to social distance in a vertical city of 8 million people. Many, many NJ people work in the city, hence their issues.

WA state was likely where patient zero from Wuhan started the mess on the west coast. I understand that the issues in the bay area were contact traced back to this same individual.

washington's problem was early misdiagnosis, especially in kirkland nursing homes, hard to see that repeated nationwide.... will new york be an example of what the rest of the country can expect? i think that's a pretty tough sell to more than a few... that said, without exception, c19 cases and deaths have soared exponentially before any sort flattening, how each state manages to mitigate this known remains to be seen... however, personally, it's hard for me to accept that a 6+ month nationwide shutdown is the only option.

 by Dick84
1 week ago
 Total posts:   5357  
 Joined:  Oct 29 2015
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:washington's problem was early misdiagnosis, especially in kirkland nursing homes, hard to see that repeated nationwide.... will new york be an example of what the rest of the country can expect? i think that's a pretty tough sell to more than a few... that said, without exception, c19 cases and deaths have soared exponentially before any sort flattening, how each state manages to mitigate this known remains to be seen... however, personally, it's hard for me to accept that a 6+ month nationwide shutdown is the only option.


After NYC... it looks like Louisiana will be next to blow up.

 by aeneas1
1 week ago
 Total posts:   12395  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 - Mar 19 2020 wrote:amazon hiring 100k+, go figure... i've received emails from my food and beverage suppliers informing me that they are fully stocked on 99% of their products and do not anticipate any drops in inventory or interruptions in delivery schedules going forward, the only thing that's back ordered, until the end of this month, is hand sanitizer products, however they are fully stocked on all other cleaning supplies such as bleaches, soaps, dishwasher sanitizers and disinfectants. oh yeah, and plenty of ass wipes... if push comes to shove i could just switch gears and open as a grocer!

also, interestingly, two of the products i use most are from naples italy, which i purchase through my suppliers, they include caputo 00 flour and organic san marzano tomatoes, there are no u.s. equivalents, the supply levels for these products have continued to remain solid despite italy's battle with covid-19.


i guess restaurateurs read rfu!

Restaurants Are Morphing Into Makeshift Grocers to Feed the Community
The move helps restaurants pay staff, support struggling purveyors, and sell products neighbors can’t find on supermarket shelves.
Laura Hayes Nevin Martell Mar 25, 2020 3 PM
https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/foo ... -community

 by aeneas1
1 week ago
 Total posts:   12395  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:After NYC... it looks like Louisiana will be next to blow up.

yep, landlocked has never looked so good.

 by PARAM
1 week ago
 Total posts:   4654  
 Joined:  Jul 15 2015
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:I don't know that any of that will happen. But the fact that we even think about it means that our system has huge problems that need to be addressed. Other places are not worrying about these things. Talking about european democracies--where there's paid sick leave, fully provided health care with no chance of sudden disasters eliminating it, adequate basic wages, unemployment benefits etc.


Nah. No good. Where's the money coming from for fully provided health care, paid sick leave and all those other bennies? Amazing an economy our size can't figure that out!!!

 by Dick84
1 week ago
 Total posts:   5357  
 Joined:  Oct 29 2015
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

US deaths just blew past 1000.. at 1031. At increasing rate.. will pass 1100 by midnight.

  • 80 / 133
  • 1
  • 80
  • 133
1326 posts Apr 03 2020