1326 posts
  • 79 / 133
 by aeneas1
1 week ago
 Total posts:   12395  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

u.s.

march 15 - 1,678 confirmed cases, 41 confirmed deaths.

ten days later:

march 25 - 64,675 confirmed cases, 910 confirmed deaths.

today's confirmed cases topped 10,000, a one-day first for the u.s.
today's deaths topped 200, another one-day first for the u.s.

the u.s. will almost certainly top 1,000 deaths by midnight tonight, and join italy, spain, china, iran and france as countries that have reported 1,000+ covid-19 deaths.

by azramsfan93
1 week ago
 Total posts:   640  
United States of America   Arizona
Veteran

aeneas1 wrote:in my neck of the woods i've noticed more and more hourly employees opting to quit work and stay at home as state and federal unemployment relief programs become more readily available and much easier to qualify for, so it will be interesting to see how many "essential" small businesses will be able to continue to keep their doors open, including small grocers... moreover, if trump's "we can do both" message and push to get america back to work in the near future continues, i have to wonder how many americans that have opted to take advantage of these programs will be willing to return to work sooner rather than later?

Good question. They would have to weigh how long the unemployment payments will last when their job is gone. A personal choice.

by PARAM
1 week ago
 Total posts:   4654  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:Does one need to be a homeowner to lose one's home?

If you can't pay your rent, eventually (seems that lawmakers are slowing the process right now, which is appropriate) you will be evicted. That would be a bad thing to happen as a result of the economy's shutdown, no?

I don't know. Which takes longer, evicting a renter during a pandemic or foreclosing on a mortgage? But you are right, you don't have to own a home to lose your home. I get it.

by azramsfan93
1 week ago
Veteran

river wrote:Trump's 'you can do both' plan is already receiving universal backlash from governors and doctors as being far too early to be called for at this time

Show us all where Trump called for this at this time. We will wait.

once again showing his interest is greater in padding financial numbers for Wall Street than care giving for the masses who will get & spread illness if they return to the workplace before this disease has run its course.

There is a significant amount of editorial content with a specific political slant in those words. I get the impression he cares about the people and families very much. So much so, that he wants them to not get the virus AND he wants their finances to not collapse. The former is very important. So is the latter. The collapse of the American middle class WILL HAPPEN if the economy remains in shutdown for months.

People have bills to pay, they'll be anxious to get back to work at the right time, the problem may not be so much with labor, rather with many small businesses who may struggle to re-open. Hopefully, the SBA will be willing and able to jump start this sector with low interest loans.

The Trump administration and congress are currently trying to prop up the economy to the tune $2.2 trillion (assuming the bill passes congress to be signed). That is a stopgap, but it won't last that long before small businesses begin to fold and many will never return. You are right in that the problem will not be available labor. It will be available jobs. You call this a "sector". Small businesses provide 90% of the jobs in the USA. That is more than a sector.

Keep this economy closed into the summer and the result will make the Great Depression into the Above Average Depression.

by Dick84
1 week ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:u.s.

ten days later:

the u.s. will almost certainly top 1,000 deaths by midnight tonight, and join italy, spain, china, iran and france as countries that have reported 1,000+ covid-19 deaths.

I keep checking the Johns Hopkins tracker.. and keep noting the increasing death rate. So sobering.

by PARAM
1 week ago
 Total posts:   4654  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

The numbers they are using to predict the peak for Philadelphia suggests it'll be early to the middle of May. That's weird. I've been sanitizing and social distancing for the past 2 and a half to 3 weeks and I'm going to have to do it through May? Wow.

Avenger wrote:If you can't pay your rent, eventually (seems that lawmakers are slowing the process right now, which is appropriate) you will be evicted. That would be a bad thing to happen as a result of the economy's shutdown, no?

What poses a huge problem for folks strapped for money is if they have to choose between paying their mortgage (or rent) and paying for health care (if they don't get it through their job), how many are going to let the health care lapse? What do you think is a reasonable percentage? I'm not suggesting that's either decision is the right one but it would be a tough decision none-the-less.

by aeneas1
1 week ago
 Total posts:   12395  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I keep checking the Johns Hopkins tracker.. and keep noting the increasing death rate. So sobering.

dismal to be sure, but new york alone accounts for almost half of the country's confirmed cases (48%) and a third of the deaths (32%)... throw in washington and the two states account for over half of the confirmed cases and almost half of the deaths, altho @dieterbrock 's garden state has been hit hard, has the second most confirmed cases... is that good news? hardly, but at least, at the moment, the skyrocketing cases have been confined to a handful of states.

by azramsfan93
1 week ago
Veteran

PARAM wrote:I guess po folks have much less to lose so they'd prefer the economy be put on the back burner until we get a handle on things.

I guess the rich folks have much more to lose so they're more worried about the economy.

And let's face it, money talks bullshit walks. People more well off have more access to the testing.

I believe that you are exactly wrong.

Wealthier people have the assets to wait this out. I have the assets to wait this out quite easily. Will it hurt the ~25% of my wealth that is in equities? Sure, but they won't go to zero. If they do, then the best things to own will be bullets.

Many middle class to lower middle class Americans will be financially ruined if their jobs disappear due to small business collapse. There is only so much federal government largesse to be had, especially if the tax base implodes. Many believe that the financial collapse will kill far more people than this virus.

I believe that we will begin to kick start the economic engine of small business across many regions of America in the coming weeks. Harder hit areas like NY, WA and CA will probably take longer. Just my belief.

by Dick84
1 week ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

azramsfan93 wrote:I believe that you are exactly wrong.

Wealthier people have the assets to wait this out. I have the assets to wait this out quite easily. Will it hurt the ~25% of my wealth that is in equities? Sure, but they won't go to zero. If they do, then the best things to own will be bullets.

Many middle class to lower middle class Americans will be financially ruined if their jobs disappear due to small business collapse. There is only so much federal government largesse to be had, especially if the tax base implodes. Many believe that the financial collapse will kill far more people than this virus.

I believe that we will begin to kick start the economic engine of small business across many regions of America in the coming weeks. Harder hit areas like NY, WA and CA will probably take longer. Just my belief.

The video we will be seeing from NYC will GREATLY temper any talk of a quick restart of the economy.

by azramsfan93
1 week ago
Veteran

aeneas1 wrote:u.s.

ten days later:

The rapid rise in the confirmed cases is exacerbated by the massive increase in testing. I submit there were many more cases on March 15 than we knew.

The deaths are sobering. We need to get the respirators and therapeutics in place quickly!

NYC proves how hard it is to social distance in a vertical city of 8 million people. Many, many NJ people work in the city, hence their issues.

WA state was likely where patient zero from Wuhan started the mess on the west coast. I understand that the issues in the bay area were contact traced back to this same individual.

• 79 / 133
1326 posts Apr 03 2020