10 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

INDIANAPOLIS – Similar to the 2019 season, the Rams will follow a course of action to keep running back Todd Gurley fresh.

Speaking to reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine, Rams general manager Les Snead indicated he was encouraged by last year's approach to managing Gurley's workload and that Los Angeles will "still have some sort intentional plan" for him this upcoming season.

"The goal is very similar to what we'd do with our wide receivers: the more snaps they play early, the less fresh they are later," Snead said. "So that's running backs, that's usually a lot of people that spend a lot of time running a lot of yards on the football field. So all that science is coming to, you want to utilize it, but you still want to win the game at hand and be intuitive of how you use things."

In his fifth NFL season, the 25-year old Gurley reached double-digit rushing touchdowns for the third straight season with 12, moving him into a tie with Marshall Faulk for first on the franchise's career rushing touchdowns list (58). After rushing more than 15 times in a single game just once through the first seven weeks of the season, he surpassed that mark in five of his final eight games, including a season-high 25 carries for 97 yards and one touchdown against the Bears in Week 11. He missed only one game due to a quad injury.

"I would say the good thing about that plan is that Todd was available," Snead said. "I mean, he was playing last game, what you didn't notice, he was fresh in the red zone, didn't score as many TDs here as he had in the past but was still probably (a) top-five touchdown maker. There was definitely some positive effects of trying to come up with a good way to keep him (fresh) – and again, it goes with our wide receivers, it goes with our tight ends, probably less our offensive linemen, but the players who are spending a lot of time running a lot of yards, how do we keep them fresh, beginning of the game, end of the game, September, October, into January. That science is all new, and we're all trying to utilize it to the best of our abilities."

When Rams head coach Sean McVay spoke to reporters last offseason, he said the team had a plan that was "really specific" for Gurley. Whether that remains the same this offseason and in training camp remains to be seen.

"We're working through that right now," McVay said. "With a guy like that, it's no different than an Andrew Whitworth (who) has a different plan of approach. You want to be consistent, but I think certain guys, just understanding the workload that their specific position entails or what is the best way to really have a long-term solution for getting through the entire season, so we've been consistent with that with Todd, really from when I first got here, I think it was just something that was talked about a little bit more because he missed a couple games towards the latter half of the '18 season, but those are things that you want to be able to be specific with each player, while still being consistent in the big picture and those are things that as we get closer to those dates, we'll discuss a little bit more."

McVay said Gurley's production last year wasn't representative of what he is still capable of, pointing to inconsistencies the offense as a whole experienced.

"We just weren't consistent enough as an offense, being able to make people honor that threat of running the football," McVay said. "Then when we did commit to it, I thought we had some good results but then also it wasn't consistent enough. I think, in a lot of instances – like sacks are unfairly pegged on the O-line, the run game is not exclusively a result of what a running back can do. I think the running game is truly a representation of all 11 and their contribution."

McVay is also confident Gurley can still be a running back who can give the Rams 18-20 carries in a game.

"I know that I can do — and I'm very confident that we will do — a much better job of activating things that you think you have better answers for our players," McVay said. "Those are things that, we've already really started diving into that process and being diligent about that."

So McVay doesn't believe the poor rushing numbers were only Gurley. That's good news. I thought he looked less explosive and hesitant, so I hope McVay is right. But I also want to see them utilize Henderson more in 2020.

by ramsman34
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8516  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

They don't have a choice - the have to use Henderson more. The offense was anemic for a good portion of the season; TG was in pass pro way more than in pattern, Henderson was an afterthought, and Brown was a poor man's TG asked to execute the same 2019 TG plan. The run blocking was horribly inconsistent. Wholesale changes have to be made in the RB game plan for all three backs. More emphasis on RBs in the passing game is also a must - as receivers. TG's "rest" should be in-game with the other RBs spelling him. That is the only maintenance plan they need with TG.

by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

They preserved Gurley for a late season playoff run. But they didn't make the playoffs. If the plan is more of the same they have to be better than they were.

by /zn/
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

What's different from last year?

Not McVay and the Rams apparently honoring TG's wish that the knee never be discussed in public. That remains the same.

The run blocking ought to be better.

They probably are tweaking the scheme in different ways to improve the run.

Henderson should be healthier and will presumably have less in the way of playbook issues.

The defense could be much improved which would probably mean fewer uphill battles against lopsided scores.

TG is presumably the same as he was in 2019 (and not as he was in 2018) but obviously he can still be a productive back.

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Contrary to what some might think, 2019 was not Gurley's worst year.

In 2016 he had fewer rushing yards/game and a lower yards/carry than he had last year.

Then he had his two best seasons in 2017 and 2018.

Can he bounce back again?

Hell if I know.

by Elvis
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38438  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Sure doesn't sound like we're trading him...

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Sure doesn't sound like we're trading him...

Or.... we're saying the things that you'd expect someone to say if they wanted to throw everyone off the trail of a future trade. :twisted2:

by TomSlick
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

Snead and McVay's words sound nice, and I hope we'll be cookin' in 2020. For now, I'm just a wee bit skeptical.

by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

All I know is, I hope Henderson figures out the playbook so they can use him more this season.

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

After watching the niners 3 headed running game and previously, Seattle's, I would like to see Henderson used A LOT more, as well as Malcolm Brown.....or maybe somebody else they pick up either in the draft, free agency or UDFA. If you're going to take the ball, pick a hole and show some burst, you're an asset. If you can give the other RBs a blow and be productive doing it, you're an asset.

• 1 / 1
10 posts Apr 16 2024