89 posts
  • 3 / 9
 by PARAM
1 month ago
 Total posts:   4636  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

CanuckRightWinger wrote:The OL got better against all reasonable expectations?
Really?

Was it a reasonable expectation to have a 2018 SBLIII participant field an OL ranked 31st by PFF the very next season?.

I certainly didn't expect that....and I doubt Sean McVay expected that either!

Was it a reasonable expectation for us to play .500 football?
Because Los Ramos, post-Bye were 4-4 with that Yute OL.....and 5 of those games were against non-Playoff teams...da Bears, Steelers, Cowboys, Cards (twice). :?

Expectations, like opinions, would appear to vary widely person-to-person it would seem.

But.....of those 4 losses, 3 were on the defense (Baltimore, Dallas and San Francisco) and not the OL. We would have had trouble keeping up with Baltimore and Dallas with last year's OL!!! They scored every time they had the ball on their first 4 or 5 drives. And against SF, the score was 31-31 with 2 minutes left and SF facing a 3rd and 16 from their 18 yard line. They converted. And then again with 3rd and 16 from their 31 yard line, they converted on a 45 yard play that set them up for the GW FG. I don't see how any of that is on the OL. In fact the OL blocked well enough on a 3 and a half minute drive to tie the game with under 3 minutes left. We can point to the under performance of the OL (and be 100% right) but they battled and had us in position to succeed, if only the defense makes 1 stop on two 3rd and 16 situations. It's unfair to blame the OL for that IMHO.

I know your opinion is the youngsters didn't improve but they did. I know your opinion is we expected more from the OL and they didn't deliver. But they did. They were young and in flux all season and they battled....... enough to have us tied with the NFC Superbowl reps in a game that would have put us in the postseason. But yet again the defense fell flat on their faces. Whitworth said, "nobody should have expected those guys to play like Saffold and Sullivan" and he was right. But nobody, including the offensive staff, said they expected that. They probably expected them to play well and develop but injuries set that schedule back. And still, the TEAM was in position to make the postseason with all that gone wrong on offense, but the defense couldn't hold up their end.

So, Wade got canned. And IMHO, that was the right move. McVay, our genius HC saw that the offense, despite all their woes, battled and put us in position to succeed in the end but Wade's defense let the entire team down. He didn't fire Kromer probably because he didn't blame Kromer for the injuries, the constant battle to field a semi-healthy O line or the "under performance" of the youngsters, perhaps because he didn't believe they under performed expectations. Oh, they may have under performed expectations of some fans but more than likely, not the expectations of the staff.

by Elvis
1 month ago
 Total posts:   24806  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Listening to O'Connell, sounds mostly like status quo to me. He talks about fitting in with and complimenting McVay more than anything else. I realize everything is mostly coach speak and platitudes but still...

by PARAM
1 month ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Listening to O'Connell, sounds mostly like status quo to me. He talks about fitting in with and complimenting McVay more than anything else. I realize everything is mostly coach speak and platitudes but still...

McVay said O'Connell was the defacto QB coach. Kromer is the still the run game coordinator. Waldron is still the passing game coordinator. McVay is the playcaller. So O'Connell will simply fit in, implement the game plan for McVay while he is working with the D and ST and then be there for Goff during games. Kromer will do the heavy lifting in the run game; Waldron in the passing game. It certainly doesn't seem he was hired to supervise anybody except for Goff.

The guy who is going to have his hands full and high expectations put on him is Staley. I can't wait to see what players they keep, what players they obtain and how he uses them. For my money, he's going to have a much bigger impact than O'Connell. It's going to be interesting to see how the defense changes with a new system/philosophy. And let's face it, they better improve or we're going to have to have shootouts like the 2018 Minnesota and Kansas City games. Entertaining but I'd prefer a defense that complements our offense.

by snackdaddy
1 month ago
 Total posts:   6459  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I know we will have some questions on offense. The line. Gurley's health. But I'm not as concerned about the offense as I am the defense. We don't have to be a dominant top 5 defense. But we need to be better than we were. We can't have 55 point meltdowns against beatable teams. We can't have multiple mistakes late in games on 3rd and long. And we can't be watching teams score TD's on their first 4 or 5 possessions. Avoid those things and just be consistent enough to not get blown out of games. The offense is good enough to put up points. Just not good enough to overcome 40 plus points.

by Dick84
1 month ago
 Total posts:   5338  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

Oh, no... more bad news for Canuck...
It appears Kromer will have even MORE input this year!!!

"Part of McVay's reasoning is that he trusts the evaluations of general manager Les Snead and the rest of the Rams front office, as well as the new and returning assistant coaches – most of whom will be in Indianapolis this week. He also wants to spend more time working with new offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell and defensive coordinator Brandon Staley on implementing schemes.

"Les and his group do a great job in the vetting process and then our position coaches have a great feel of, 'okay what do we want to do, what are the things that we want to get out of the combine,'" McVay said. "So being able to empower them and then feeling like, let's get back to L.A., still be able to study the film which is the most important part of the evaluation, trusting some of the vetting on the backgrounds with these guys and then being able to kind of continue to get a jump on the schemes that we'll implement specific to the offense and defense, that's really what went into it.""

by CanuckRightWinger
1 month ago
 Total posts:   1277  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Pro Bowl

Spin the pro-Kromer stories all you want.... but here's the tale of the tape of Ram running game efficiency "improvement" the last half of 2019:
TEAM....RushYds...Ram YPC
PITT......23/88....3.8
CHI...….34/110..3.2
BAL...….09/22...2.4
ARIZ......3/132...4.4
SEA......35/162...4.6
DAL......14/22....1.6
SF.........24/72....3.0
ARIZ.....33/113..3.4

Your arguments not compelling, per usual.
Your stats non-existent, per usual.
Kromer's rush scheme just sizzled the last 3 games of 2019 totalling all of:
71 carries for 207 yards rushing = 2.9 YPC :roll2:
Not exactly BIG MO eh! :?

With "Improvement" like that, small wonder that Kromer never got the courtesy OC interview from McVay, like was afforded to Joe Barry for the DC vacancy. :idea2:
Improvement my arse! :lol2:

by PARAM
1 month ago
Superstar

CanuckRightWinger wrote:With "Improvement" like that, small wonder that Kromer never got the courtesy OC interview from McVay, like was afforded to Joe Barry for the DC vacancy. :idea2:

Why would McVay want to give Kromer an imaginary "courtesy interview"? Why would Kromer want it? But more important, who would believe it? Talk about spin.....

Let's think about that for a second. Kromer's main jobs are OL coach and run game coordinator. So even if McVay weren't the actual OC, why would you burden a coach with a third responsibility? How would that help McVay, Kromer or the Rams?

We should really lose the fairy tale about this alledged dis on Kromer because he didn't get a fake interview for a job that doesn't actually exist! That's why he hired O'Connell for the fake post of OC and assigned him QB coach duties!

But...... the DC job actually is a real position. So in reality, there was no dis of Kromer. There was no "demotion". There was no "new boss" hired to oversee him. It's all fairy tales and spin. Anybody who's been watching knows it. And that formula, repeat it enough and it will make it true isn't even a "courtesy consideration". :D

by snackdaddy
1 month ago
 Total posts:   6459  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

We can agree to disagree on the Kromer issue. Because it doesn't matter. McVay doesn't think Kromer was the problem. Hence, he didn't move on from Kromer. I'll just defer to McVay's knowledge of the situation. I won't pretend to think I know more than him.

by Dick84
1 month ago
 Total posts:   5338  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Spin the pro-Kromer stories all you want.... but here's the tale of the tape of Ram running game efficiency "improvement" the last half of 2019:
TEAM....RushYds...Ram YPC
PITT......23/88....3.8
CHI...….34/110..3.2
BAL...….09/22...2.4
ARIZ......3/132...4.4
SEA......35/162...4.6
DAL......14/22....1.6
SF.........24/72....3.0
ARIZ.....33/113..3.4

Your arguments not compelling, per usual.
Your stats non-existent, per usual.
Kromer's rush scheme just sizzled the last 3 games of 2019 totalling all of:
71 carries for 207 yards rushing = 2.9 YPC :roll2:
Not exactly BIG MO eh! :?

With "Improvement" like that, small wonder that Kromer never got the courtesy OC interview from McVay, like was afforded to Joe Barry for the DC vacancy. :idea2:

This is so entertaining. Watching someone argue a point that no one is making.
No one says the run game was GOOD last year.
We just say your off when trying to dump it all on Kromer.
My post doesn’t need stats, because it’s not a breakdown or an analysis. It’s an observation.
That observation being that, despite the disappointing year for the OL, Kromer is still around and actually may have more influence on any draft pick!
Feel free to draw your own conclusion, but that indicates to me that McVay & Snead don’t blame Kromer.. because they know that he’s not even close to being the only one to blame.

• 3 / 9
89 posts Mar 31 2020