76 posts
  • 3 / 8
 by Elvis
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Listening to O'Connell, sounds mostly like status quo to me. He talks about fitting in with and complimenting McVay more than anything else. I realize everything is mostly coach speak and platitudes but still...

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Listening to O'Connell, sounds mostly like status quo to me. He talks about fitting in with and complimenting McVay more than anything else. I realize everything is mostly coach speak and platitudes but still...

McVay said O'Connell was the defacto QB coach. Kromer is the still the run game coordinator. Waldron is still the passing game coordinator. McVay is the playcaller. So O'Connell will simply fit in, implement the game plan for McVay while he is working with the D and ST and then be there for Goff during games. Kromer will do the heavy lifting in the run game; Waldron in the passing game. It certainly doesn't seem he was hired to supervise anybody except for Goff.

The guy who is going to have his hands full and high expectations put on him is Staley. I can't wait to see what players they keep, what players they obtain and how he uses them. For my money, he's going to have a much bigger impact than O'Connell. It's going to be interesting to see how the defense changes with a new system/philosophy. And let's face it, they better improve or we're going to have to have shootouts like the 2018 Minnesota and Kansas City games. Entertaining but I'd prefer a defense that complements our offense.

by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I know we will have some questions on offense. The line. Gurley's health. But I'm not as concerned about the offense as I am the defense. We don't have to be a dominant top 5 defense. But we need to be better than we were. We can't have 55 point meltdowns against beatable teams. We can't have multiple mistakes late in games on 3rd and long. And we can't be watching teams score TD's on their first 4 or 5 possessions. Avoid those things and just be consistent enough to not get blown out of games. The offense is good enough to put up points. Just not good enough to overcome 40 plus points.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Spin the pro-Kromer stories all you want.... but here's the tale of the tape of Ram running game efficiency "improvement" the last half of 2019:
TEAM....RushYds...Ram YPC
PITT......23/88....3.8
CHI...….34/110..3.2
BAL...….09/22...2.4
ARIZ......3/132...4.4
SEA......35/162...4.6
DAL......14/22....1.6
SF.........24/72....3.0
ARIZ.....33/113..3.4

Your arguments not compelling, per usual.
Your stats non-existent, per usual.
Kromer's rush scheme just sizzled the last 3 games of 2019 totalling all of:
71 carries for 207 yards rushing = 2.9 YPC :roll2:
Not exactly BIG MO eh! :?

With "Improvement" like that, small wonder that Kromer never got the courtesy OC interview from McVay, like was afforded to Joe Barry for the DC vacancy. :idea2:
Improvement my arse! :lol2:

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:With "Improvement" like that, small wonder that Kromer never got the courtesy OC interview from McVay, like was afforded to Joe Barry for the DC vacancy. :idea2:
Improvement my arse! :lol2:

Why would McVay want to give Kromer an imaginary "courtesy interview"? Why would Kromer want it? But more important, who would believe it? Talk about spin.....

Let's think about that for a second. Kromer's main jobs are OL coach and run game coordinator. So even if McVay weren't the actual OC, why would you burden a coach with a third responsibility? How would that help McVay, Kromer or the Rams?

We should really lose the fairy tale about this alledged dis on Kromer because he didn't get a fake interview for a job that doesn't actually exist! That's why he hired O'Connell for the fake post of OC and assigned him QB coach duties!

But...... the DC job actually is a real position. So in reality, there was no dis of Kromer. There was no "demotion". There was no "new boss" hired to oversee him. It's all fairy tales and spin. Anybody who's been watching knows it. And that formula, repeat it enough and it will make it true isn't even a "courtesy consideration". :D

by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

We can agree to disagree on the Kromer issue. Because it doesn't matter. McVay doesn't think Kromer was the problem. Hence, he didn't move on from Kromer. I'll just defer to McVay's knowledge of the situation. I won't pretend to think I know more than him.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 1 month ago
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

So Sean SmartYoungGuy McVay went out and hired an OC to only serve as a QB whisperer, eh. Yeah, that makes alot of sense. :roll2:
Talk about your fairy tales. :lol2:

ME: To avoid a repeat of 2019 debacle, McVay figured out he needed help.....
-needed help on D, so he hired a new DC
-needed help on STs, so he hired a new ST CoOrdinator
-needed help on Offense, so he hired a new OC.

Oh and the other fairy tale is about how the 2019 Rams OL "improved"
.....according to PFF it improved to 31st. :idea2:

Steps to push Kromer Legacy:
1. Avoid discussing dismal 2019 Ram 3.7 YPC rushing stat (only NYJ & Fins worse).
2. Insist Noteboom and Allen were aces prior to their injuries.
3. Ignore that Jemil Demby was Kromer's #1 plug-in option.
4. Repeat ad infinitim that OC Kevin O'Connell is just a QB Coach & Kromer remains TheMan.
5. Keep pushing the myth about Ram "2019 OL improvement"
6. Maintain the myth that Noteboom & Allen are relevant for 2020.
7. Never mention PFF's #31 Ram OL Ranking....because PFF are heretics! :lol2:
8. Rinse and repeat.

To sum up:
Despite the disappointing Rams 2019 Season, I nevertheless have faith in Sean McVay and Les Snead smarts. :idea2:
As far as my faith in Kromer goes?.....it's probably about at the same low level as Bears fans following AK's stint as Chicago's OC under HC Marc Trestman. :idea2:

Litmus Test: I viewed, and continue to view, the OL as a major weakness in the Fortunes Of the 2019 Rams season. Colin Cowherd and other NFL media types echoed the same.

Other guys see it differently...the D, Gurley, shoddy play-calling, etc sank us in 2019.

So be it. We'll see how the 2020 OL looks like personnel-wise, and more importantly performance-wise, eh!

Go Rams!

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:So Sean SmartYoungGuy McVay went out and hired an OC to only serve as a QB whisperer, eh. Yeah, that makes alot of sense. :roll2:
Talk about your fairy tales. :lol2:

ME: To avoid a repeat of 2019 debacle, McVay figured out he needed help.....
-needed help on D, so he hired a new DC
-needed help on STs, so he hired a new ST CoOrdinator
-needed help on Offense, so he hired a new OC.

Oh and the other fairy tale is about how the 2019 Rams OL "improved"
.....according to PFF it improved to 31st. :idea2:

Steps to push Kromer Legacy:
1. Avoid discussing dismal 2019 Ram 3.7 YPC rushing stat (only NYJ & Fins worse).
2. Insist Noteboom and Allen were aces prior to their injuries.
3. Ignore that Jemil Demby was Kromer's #1 plug-in option.
4. Repeat ad infinitim that OC Kevin O'Connell is just a QB Coach & Kromer remains TheMan.
5. Keep pushing the myth about Ram "2019 OL improvement"
6. Maintain the myth that Noteboom & Allen are relevant for 2020.
7. Never mention PFF's #31 Ram OL Ranking....because PFF are heretics! :lol2:
8. Rinse and repeat.

To sum up:
Despite the disappointing Rams 2019 Season, I nevertheless have faith in Sean McVay and Les Snead smarts. :idea2:
As far as my faith in Kromer goes?.....it's probably about at the same low level as Bears fans following AK's stint as Chicago's OC under HC Marc Trestman. :idea2:

Litmus Test: I viewed, and continue to view, the OL as a major weakness in the Fortunes Of the 2019 Rams season. Colin Cowherd and other NFL media types echoed the same.

Other guys see it differently...the D, Gurley, shoddy play-calling, etc sank us in 2019.

So be it. We'll see how the 2020 OL looks like personnel-wise, and more importantly performance-wise, eh!

Go Rams!

So what you're saying is, McVay went out and hired an OC to teach Kromer how to design blocking schemes, in addition to re-designing the playbook and calling plays on game day? Come on man, you know what that hire was......somebody to watch the offense practice and report back to McVay when McVay is spending time with the D and ST. You actually think McVay went out and hired an OC with exactly 1 year of experience....under a guy who called his own plays (Gruden) to straighten out the Rams offense?

Knock, knock....anybody home??? Ground control to Major Tom!!!

So you don't think the OL improved. That's legit. It's debatable. And FWIW, that Colin Cowherd is someone to get behind, eh? He changes his tune so often....he makes a great host on a sports show!!!

Steps to dispell Kromer's ability.
1. Ignore the fact he was an OL coach in 3 Superbowls.
2. Ignore the fact his OL and run game led the league two years in a row in Buffalo.
3. Ignore the fact the 2017 and 2018 Rams went 24-8 and Gurley was a phenom during that time.
4. Ignore the fact the Rams led the league in fewest sacks while throwing the third most passes in 2019
5. Invent some imaginary demotion because the Rams hired an "OC" to make coffee and stick to Jared Goff 24/7.
6. Invent some imaginary slight because McVay didn't interview Kromer for that imaginary position.
7. Talk about Kromers resume...in terms of how many places he's coached and was fired.....as if football coaches stay with the same team forever and being hired by 5 or 6 different head coaches is a bad thing!!!.....NOTE:....go back as far as you have to to argue against his record....no year is too far in the past....2014....2011...."HEY!!!! In 1999 Northwestern only averaged 3.5 ypc.....Kromer sucked all the way back then!!!"
8. Reiterate, the Rams are currently in need of at least 4 starting lineman because none of the guys Kromer coached can play.
9. Continue to bring up 3.7 ypc and PFF stats on evaluation to pound home the theory Kromer sucks and the Rams offensive lineman suck.
10. When in doubt revert back to accusing fans of having no argument because they don't point out stats that confirm their argument to be rock solid and in your best Dustin Hoffman voice, repeat...."3.7 per carry in 2019... 3.7....2019....3.7 per carry in 2019....3.7.....2019"

What will end this madness?

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 1 month ago
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

The new OC was "hired by the Rams to make coffee"??? :?
"Madness???" :roll2:
Sheesh....the drama! :lol2:

I say the 2019 Rams OL, coached by Kromer, was a major problem. I post stats and quotes to back that up.

You project things that people are supposed to think....IE. "because I diss Kromer, I also need to diss McVay."
ME: Nope....that's not even logical!

AND NOW? You state inaccurately that I "reiterate that the Rams are currently in need of 4 new starting OLinemen" when I have repeatedly posted that:
I see Whit being re-signed by McSnead for 2020,
I am hopeful that Havenstein returns this year to his 2017-18 prowess,
and have waxed on about David SneadDraftSteal Edwards repeatedly.
In fact, I'm sure we both posted somewhere last week, that we BOTH AGREED on those 3 above. So why this overreaction now?

I'll just leave it like this.....
Goff is our QB for the foreseesable future. Period. Full Stop.
To be effective, like he was in 2017-18, Goff needs a solid protective OL, like he had in 2017-18. Last year Goff was off his norm, and I say it was due to ineffective Ram OL play affecting both his pass protection/timing... and with the poor rush production, adversely affecting Goff's PlayAction factor.

I blame Kromer for that. I also do not think Aaron Kromer is a shit hot NFL Coach.
AND, I also recognize that not all football fans may feel that way.

Clearly we disagree on Kromer's talent level/value. Okay, so what? :?2:

But, are you also saying that the PPF 31st-ranked OL was NOT a problem for the Rams in 2019 as well? Because I'm pretty sure that the majority of informed football fans out there saw the Rams OL as a definite problem in 2019. :idea2:

The draftniks all have us going OL, ER, LB in April.....not necessarily in that order....but no 2020 Ram Mock, I have seen, has us staying clear of OL.
So are the draftnik guys all heretics like PFF is too???

We disagree on Kromer.
Why is that..... "madness"? :?2:

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 1 month ago
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

CandyGram for Mongo....

"discerning" would've worked better for you than "complex"....
"discriminating" cudda worked too. :idea2:

FYI :P

• 3 / 8
76 posts Apr 16 2024