32 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

A few baseline points...

1. I like Brandin Cooks. By all accounts, he is a hard-working, dedicated, player who gets along great with his teammates, never complains openly, and has had no off the field issues. He is certainly not a "diva" type WR, despite his success in the league.

2. I get that some are dissatisfied with his contract. To me, that's a hindsight point. At the time it was signed, it was a fair market deal.

With that said, what happened, in 2019 to cause his numbers to drop so severely?

I'd say, like most things, it was the result of several factors. First, he obviously had some health issues, including the concussion that sidelined him for two games. Second, I do think that the OL struggles made it harder to utilize his skill as a deep threat (Goff's intended air yards/pass went down from 8.7 in 2018 to 7.7 in 2019), which may have resulted in fewer targets for the receiver (often Cooks) running the deeper patterns. Third, there is always the issue of "not enough footballs." As Cooper Kupp and Tyler Higbee receive more targets, others will receive less.

If Cooks was not at a point in his contract where it is unlikely that he'd be traded and financially imprudent to release him (a restructuring of his deal would seem more likely), Cooks will almost certainly be back.

So how does he get back to form?

The good news is he's only 26, so age is not a factor.

Obviously, he'll need to stay healthy - particularly avoiding additional concussions, which could ultimately shorten his career.

But what can the Rams do to get more from him? Certainly, better OL play would tend to give him more opportunities. I also think the Rams could look to find creative ways to get him the ball on the move in the intermediate passing game. After all, he has more breakaway speed than any player on the offense.

In any event... I'm in the guy's corner. He's a quality guy, and I think he can be a key part of our offense.

by dieterbrock
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

He had a down year, it happens.
What current top flight WR hasn’t had a down year?
The concussions are a concern, can’t ignore that, but after a solid off season I’d expect him to be ready to go and be back at his top level.
Physically I have no doubt.
Mentally? Dafuq anyone knows how that will play out until the season plays out.

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I worry about the concussions. When he's right his salary is in line with his talent. The guy racks up 1,000 yard seasons with everybody. I hope he's recovered and ready as we will need him

by moklerman
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I worry about the concussions. When he's right his salary is in line with his talent. The guy racks up 1,000 yard seasons with everybody. I hope he's recovered and ready as we will need him
I've already resigned myself to him being a non-factor. Aikman, Miller, I'm sure many more...once you develop a concussion problem it never goes away and I'm pretty sure just gets worse and easier to get the next one.

I think a healthy Cooks is a big time weapon and key component to the success of McVay's offense but I have little hope or expectation of Cooks being available much.

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I've already resigned myself to him being a non-factor. Aikman, Miller, I'm sure many more...once you develop a concussion problem it never goes away and I'm pretty sure just gets worse and easier to get the next one.

Concussions can be progressive in that manner, and he's certainly putting himself at risk, but I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion.

I think he can and will play well at the start of next season. Hopefully, he will avoid additional concussions and, over time, get over any mental hurdle he may have.

If he does get another concussion, I would fully support him if he decided to hang it up.

by moklerman
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Concussions can be progressive in that manner, and he's certainly putting himself at risk, but I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion.

I think he can and will play well at the start of next season. Hopefully, he will avoid additional concussions and, over time, get over any mental hurdle he may have.

If he does get another concussion, I would fully support him if he decided to hang it up.
I can't find an official list of concussions for him but apparently he's had one as a Saint, Patriot and at least twice as a Ram. I don't see how that suggests anything other than him missing more time.

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I can't find an official list of concussions for him but apparently he's had one as a Saint, Patriot and at least twice as a Ram. I don't see how that suggests anything other than him missing more time.

Because, while he may have an enhanced risk of concussions, past outcomes are not necessarily indicative of future results.

He could get a concussion on the first play of the season, or never get one for the next 5 years.

If he can avoid concussions, I see no reason why he can't perform.

by moklerman
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Because, while he may have an enhanced risk of concussions, past outcomes are not necessarily indicative of future results.

He could get a concussion on the first play of the season, or never get one for the next 5 years.

If he can avoid concussions, I see no reason why he can't perform.
I don't think that's true for concussions. If you have a history of them there's a reason for it. He has had concussions every step of the way so I don't see how he's going to avoid them going forward. It seems like the last one wasn't even that bad of a hit which also seems consistent with those who are susceptible to them. The more you get, the easier the next one happens. None of that adds up to Cooks realistically avoiding another one for any length of time.

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I don't think that's true for concussions. If you have a history of them there's a reason for it. He has had concussions every step of the way so I don't see how he's going to avoid them going forward. It seems like the last one wasn't even that bad of a hit which also seems consistent with those who are susceptible to them. The more you get, the easier the next one happens. None of that adds up to Cooks realistically avoiding another one for any length of time.

So do you think he should retire now?

by moklerman
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:So do you think he should retire now?

I don't really know. I'm just not relying on him to stay healthy at this point. I hope that he does as I think he's an important threat that the offense needs to be as effective as possible. But every time he gets a ball thrown to him, it won't surprise me if he can't get up.

Especially in today's age of NFL protocols. Once your marbles are loose, they just never seem to stay in place for too long. I hope I'm 100% wrong and misreading the situation but IMO, Cooks will be knocked woosy before too long and without much impact.

• 1 / 4
32 posts Apr 17 2024