22 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by Elvis
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

The richest NFL team owners

NFL owners include some of the world’s most powerful business figures.

By Thomas Barrabi
FOXBusiness

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: We want to make football convenient to consumer
The National Football League’s ownership ranks include some of the richest businesspeople on the planet.

Of the four major U.S. sports leagues, the NFL has arguably the highest barrier of entry for prospective team owners. As of September 2019, the average NFL team had an estimated valuation of $2.86 billion.

The NFL’s ownership rules ensure that only multibillionaires have a legitimate chance at buying a team. Unlike other leagues, the NFL requires that individuals, not firms or corporate entities, hold majority control of their franchises. Moreover, buyers have to be able to pay cash for a stake worth at least 30 percent of a team’s overall value.

Because of these barriers, NFL owners include some of the world’s most powerful business figures. FOX Business breaks down the NFL’s richest team owners below, according to Forbes’ calculations of personal net worth.

David Tepper, Carolina Panthers owner

Estimated net worth: $12 billion

Tepper built his personal fortune at his private equity fund, Appaloosa Management. He paid an NFL record $2.2 billion to buy the Panthers in 2018. More recently, Major League Soccer awarded its 30th franchise to the city of Charlotte in a bid led by Tepper.

Stan Kroenke, Los Angeles Rams owner

Estimated net worth: $9.7 billion

A prominent real estate developer, Kroenke is married to Walmart heiress Ann Walton. Aside from the Rams, Kroenke owns the NBA’s Denver Nuggets, the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche and the Premier League soccer club Arsenal through his company Kroenke Sports & Entertainment. Kroenke led the development of SoFi Stadium, the $5 billion sports and entertainment facility the Rams will share with the Los Angeles Chargers.

Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys owner

Estimated net worth: $8.3 billion

Jones paid just $150 million to buy the Cowboys in 1989. Three decades later, the Cowboys are considered the most valuable U.S. sports franchise with an estimated valuation of $5.5 billion. Jones also co-founded Legends Hospitality and has several holdings in the commodities sector.

Shahid Khan, Jacksonville Jaguars owner

Estimated net worth: $8.2 billion

Khan amassed his fortune in the auto parts sector. After buying the Jaguars, he emerged as one of the NFL’s most outspoken owners and has spearheaded the league’s expansion into the United Kingdom. The Jaguars are set to play two “home games” in London during the 2020 season.

Stephen Ross, Miami Dolphins owner

Estimated net worth: $7.6 billion

A prominent real estate mogul, Ross first purchased an ownership interest in the Dolphins in 2008. Aside from his NFL franchise, Ross owns various real estate developments, as well as stakes in the Equinox and SoulCycle fitness chains, through his holding firm, The Related Companies.

by moklerman
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I sometimes have to remind myself that I now have Kroenke as the owner of my favorite team. Having started my Rams days right at the time Georgia stole the team, I had never known anything but Georgia owned Rams football. Which might have been fine to some extent if that was all I ever knew but searching out the history of the team and owners like Reeves and Rosenbloom and the tradition and respect of the franchise established over decades with guys like Pete Rozelle and Dan Klosterman...I felt, if not shared in the pain of fans who knew the before times.

I feel like the Rams now have one of, if not the best owner in the NFL. It is a strange feeling in ways but it's just too damn nice overall.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

They’re not counting his wife’s fortune when they should.

by Haden
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2134  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

St. Loser Fan wrote:They’re not counting his wife’s fortune when they should.

True!

by dieterbrock
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:They’re not counting his wife’s fortune when they should.

Are they counting Jones wife?

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Are they counting Jones wife?

Jerruh is married?

by Hacksaw
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

moklerman wrote:I sometimes have to remind myself that I now have Kroenke as the owner of my favorite team. Having started my Rams days right at the time Georgia stole the team, I had never known anything but Georgia owned Rams football. Which might have been fine to some extent if that was all I ever knew but searching out the history of the team and owners like Reeves and Rosenbloom and the tradition and respect of the franchise established over decades with guys like Pete Rozelle and Dan Klosterman...I felt, if not shared in the pain of fans who knew the before times.

I feel like the Rams now have one of, if not the best owner in the NFL. It is a strange feeling in ways but it's just too damn nice overall.

Nice and long overdue. I was around in the Enberg days and our Rams were the real deal. Almost Americas team. Sad day CR died and when LA played hardball on a stadium.

by dieterbrock
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:Jerruh is married?

For only 50+ years
But I guess that wont stop you from trolling the Rams owner

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:For only 50+ years

Wasn't sure.

by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Lol, there are some questionable ethics among some NFL owners. Especially when it come to the sexual side of it. Kraft, Jones, etc. Jerry Richardson was forced out. Stan Kroenke has never been tied to any of that sordid stuff. By all accounts he lives a clean life. Yet, he's the most evil one of all in the eyes of St Louis. For some the most evil person in the history of mankind. And all he did was move his team.

• 1 / 3
22 posts Apr 17 2024