21 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by BobCarl
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Gareth wrote:If Brady is the greatest ever because of all the winning, which I wouldn’t argue against, then isn’t Brees overrated?

I will argue against, not you, but against the postulate you reference.

He is/was "greatest" not because the "wins" (many of his wins come under the guise of cheating, and who is to say that the cheating didn't go beyond what is publicly known)

He is a gifted player. However I will contend that Mahomes, as it stands now, is the Bo Jackson of QBs ... except Mahomes isn't injured, and IMHO, if Mahomes doesn't get injured, people will be talking GOAT.

by laram
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   444  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

IMO Brees and Payton have had a fantastic run and could have easily appeared in 3 SB’s if not for a fluky play and an egregious non-call.

They’re in it every year which is all you can ask for at this level.

Frankly I think they would have fared far better than the Rams did vs a really weak Patriots team.

Getting to the big dance is a tough row to hoe.

by aeneas1
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:If Brady is the greatest ever because of all the winning, which I wouldn’t argue against, then isn’t Brees overrated?

Fantastic regular season numbers but not that great in the postseason. Nobody loves celebrating regular season records more than he does. But he’s really come up short in the playoffs many times.

his last 4 postseasons have ended with him leading the saints to an average of 20.5 offensive points per game, including a 20-point offensive dud at home in last season's wild card round... hard to believe that team brees/payton have reached just one super bowl and 3 championship rounds in their 14 years together... that said, brees has put together a hall of fame career.

by Elvis
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38437  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

It's hard to believe they went 7-9 three straight years and it wasn't that big of a deal.

Until the Saints beat the Rams in the 2000 WC game, they had never won a playoff game. Payton and Brees have brought them a SB and a team that is usually a legitimate SB contender, something that would've probably been impossible to imagine in New Orleans before they arrived.

Plus it's a relatively small city whose identity is highly entwined with the team.

Add Katrina and well those two are practically bullet proof...

by Hacksaw
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Elvis wrote:It's hard to believe they went 7-9 three straight years and it wasn't that big of a deal.

Until the Saints beat the Rams in the 2000 WC game, they had never won a playoff game. Payton and Brees have brought them a SB and a team that is usually a legitimate SB contender, something that would've probably been impossible to imagine in New Orleans before they arrived.

Plus it's a relatively small city whose identity is highly entwined with the team.

and NCIS NO is cool..

by dieterbrock
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:It's hard to believe they went 7-9 three straight years and it wasn't that big of a deal.

It was a big deal though, there was plenty of hot seat talk about him, particularly during 2016. There was plenty of talk amongst Rams fans as a potential replacement if he got the boot. Thing was though, the offense didnt miss a beat in those 3 losing years, Brees threw for 15k yards and 100td.
Kind of the way of the NFL, if your QB has great seasons, team scores a lot, fans will still pay to watch them. Offense/QB sputters, team loses games, coach loses job...

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Until the Saints beat the Rams in the 2000 WC game, they had never won a playoff game.

I was at that game. Still don't know how I got out of there alive.

Elvis wrote:Plus it's a relatively small city whose identity is highly entwined with the team.

Plus the only other thing they have is the Pelicans. We'll see what Zion Williams can do for that team and if he can make them a contender for the first time.

It also helps that Brees has taken a page from the Archie Manning playbook and ingratiated himself with the city.

by rams74
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

St. Loser Fan wrote:I was at that game. Still don't know how I got out of there alive.

Probably had something to do with the fact the Saints didn't lose that day. Should have, would have, but didn't.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:Probably had something to do with the fact the Saints didn't lose that day. Should have, would have, but didn't.

Don't remind me. Barely made it back to the hotel as we got taunted all the way down Poydras. Changed out of our Rams gear after a cop recommended it. We purposely went to bars that didn't have TVs so we didn't have to watch lowlights.

But back to Brees, it pulls me both ways. I really like him and I love the city of new Orleans. But I don't like their football fans and I loathe Sean Payton.

by aeneas1
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Kind of the way of the NFL, if your QB has great seasons, team scores a lot, fans will still pay to watch them. Offense/QB sputters, team loses games, coach loses job...

yeah, brees and the offense gave saints fans hope during that stretch of 7-9 seasons, they ranked 6th, 7th and 2nd in offensive scoring respectively - it was the saints defense that sunk those teams, finishing 29th, 32nd, and 30th in offensive points allowed... field a competent, scoring offense and fans will always have hope.

• 2 / 3
21 posts Apr 16 2024