9 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by moklerman
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

All of this Houston Astros fallout keeps me continually wondering if the NFL reacted similarly to the Patriots cheating? Reigning MVP's are going on record condemning the cheating and baseball is taking it very seriously now that it's out in the open.

Compared to the NFL's sweeping the cheating under the rug and trying to cover it all up, it's a stark contrast in approach. I suppose we'll see how it affects baseball in the longer term but I'm very glad that so many of these guys are condemning the cheating instead of the "if you a'int cheating, you a'int trying" mindset so prevalent among fans and the NFL.

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

A lot of talking head experts believe more punishment is going to come in drillings. I'm sure the first time or second time Altuve and Bregman get hit they'll just go to first base. But after that? There are a lot of pitchers who feel they were cheated and many are going to want to let the Asstros know.

It's different in football. Who wants to break Brady's kneecap or take off Edleman's head? Probably some but the opportunity may never come. I always hoped some safety would make a bee line for a receiver and blast Belichick but again, rare opportunities. In baseball there will be 3 or 4 chances per game.

The leagues? Of course they want to deal with it and portray the appearance they did enough, then move on but few fans are going to believe they went far enough. At least with the Asstros, the owners took further action and that even went as far as other teams punishing coaches. But the players? No punishment at all so thats why pitchers will take it further. In the NFL Kraft did nothing to BB. Probably gave him a bonus.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens to Bregman and Altuve.

by Flash
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1205  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

As some of you know I live very near Houston. Here is an interesting (and true) story.

One of my best friends here is a huge LSU fan, he drives to Baton Rouge for almost every LSU home game, went to the Championship game earlier this year etc...
Two years ago he flew to Arizona to watch LSU play in the UCF in the Fiesta Bowl. On the plane with him was Astros 3rd baseman Alex Bregman (an LSU Alum.)

To make a long story short they got into a conversation (my buddy full of LSU gear) about the Astros (BTW Bregman had a few and was teasing his female friend about farting,,,). , Bregman told my buddy that Carlos Beltran was a cancer in the clubhouse and divided the team. He also praised Brian McCann and that losing him may hurt the clubhouse.

I bring this up because I read that McCann tried to intervene in the cheating only to have Beltran carry on.

I brought this to my friends attention last week and was wondering if this was Bregman was talking about.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

If anything the other three leagues and college should be watching baseball bungle and fumble this Astros issue. Up to an including Manfred’s “it’s just a hunk of metal” comment about the World Series trophy.

I still think the Astros WS win should be vacated.

by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Whatever grief the fans give them this year will never be enough in my opinion. And yes, I agree the NFL swept it under the rug to protect the shield. Why else would they destroy the tapes and say "Nothing to see here"? Why is it our teams that get screwed by cheaters?

Baseball's tradition of frontier justice will be on display this season. The commissioner said he won't tolerate that kind of retaliation. But he won't have have the support from fans whose teams were screwed. Or from opposing players. While I'm not in favor of head hunting. A 95 mph fastball could seriously injure someone. But I wouldn't mind seeing a few fastballs to the ribs of some of these guys. I know the pitcher will probably be ejected. But if he's one who got hit hard during the cheating era, I'm sure it would be worth it to him.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

The thing is that while I’m not excusing the Patriots cheating, what the Astros did was far worse.

The only way the Patriots could have sunk to the Astros level was to be hacked into the Rams communications and then be able to convey the plays to the defense. And to have all that provable on video. The fact that you can replay Astros games and show/hear the trash can banging is far more damning than anything the Cheatriots did: that includes the filming of the sidelines.

by Hacksaw
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Pitchers have been brushing back guy from the plate for ever. The commissioner ought to rethink his penalties so that the players don't have to think about retaliation for the unjust sentence.

Do the dodgers deserve the "hunk's of metal"? Nah, that would ring hollow. Does Houston (and possibly Boston) deserve to have their trophies vacated? Definitely everyday and twice on Sunday !!!

And while their at it, F Houston up the Asstros !!

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:. While I'm not in favor of head hunting. A 95 mph fastball could seriously injure someone. But I wouldn't mind seeing a few fastballs to the ribs of some of these guys.

Its easier to avoid a 95 mph pitch at your head than one at your ribs. So I definately want to see many of those rib shots. I don't want to see anyone maimed or concussed but a pretty raspberry tatoo on their ribs would serve to remind them long after the game is over just how pissed opponents are over the issue.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

LeBron James opens up a 55 gallon drum of whoop ass.

• 1 / 1
9 posts Apr 18 2024