71 posts
  • 1 / 8
 by AvengerRam
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Last year, the Rams placed its offensive line's fate, in part, in the hands of two Soph OL, Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen.

Both underwhelmed, then finished the year on IR.

Now, going into 2020, the Rams may be poised to again rely upon two second year players, David Edwards and Bobby Evans.

Is this history repeating itself, or something that can be viewed as a potential positive?

The obvious answer is that, regardless of how this may play out, there is a key difference. Edwards (690 snaps) and Evans (473 snaps) played a lot more than Noteboom (78 snaps) and Allen (36 snaps) did as rookies. As a result, the Rams have a lot more tape to evaluate, and a lot more live fire action to build upon.

If Edwards and Evans are viewed as mainstays, that raises a number of questions.

1. What happens to Rob Havenstein? Could he be a piece the Rams might include in a trade, or even consider releasing (not a big cap savings)?

2. If the Rams re-sign Whitworth and Blythe, does that mean 4 of the 5 starters from the end of last year return and start? And, if so... who fills the final LG spot? Noteboom? Someone new?

Given that the Rams don't have a first round pick, and won't have a ton of FA$ to spend, I think the likelihood is that Evans and Edwards will be starters next year. I'm okay with that, but you know me... ever the optimist. I was confident in Noteboom and Allen last year too.

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

The OL / cap conumdrum! The sophmores the Rams relied upon underwhelmed partially because they were injured. But the Rams have a lot of tape on them now. The rookies thrown into the fire didn't impress some fans but there is now a lot of tape on them too. Teaching is made more comprehensive with tape and the more, the better, so they ought to have a lot to watch and implement over OTA's and camp. Plus we might have Whitworth back (and/or Blythe) AND a draft pick or two ( but they will most certainly be for depth). Now if we only had a capable teacher, I could see a better, more experienced O line in 2020 with better depth.

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

By the way, Noteboom and Allen's snap counts for 2019 were 376 and 563, respectively. So, even after two years, Noteboom has the fewest total snaps of the four, and Edwards has more than Allen.

by R4L
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Allen isn't a starting caliber center in the NFL in my opinion. Evans played well enough to take over for Hav if the Rams cut him.
Edwards will start at guard.
Noteboom is coming off injury so who knows what he'll offer.

So they need a center and LT imo.

by /zn/
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The OL / cap conumdrum! The sophmores the Rams relied upon underwhelmed partially because they were injured. But the Rams have a lot of tape on them now. The rookies thrown into the fire didn't impress some fans but there is now a lot of tape on them too. Teaching is made more comprehensive with tape and the more, the better, so they ought to have a lot to watch and implement over OTA's and camp. Plus we might have Whitworth back (and/or Blythe) AND a draft pick or two ( but they will most certainly be for depth). Now if we only had a capable teacher, I could see a better, more experienced O line in 2020 with better depth.

Not sure why "some fans" didn't like Evans and Edwards. They did well considering and showed why they were good draft finds.

I don;t know how many OLs Kromer has built but this won't be the first. It won't even be the first for the Rams.

I like the deadpan joke about "if" the Rams had a capable teacher for the OL. 8-)

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

So could our starting OL for 2020 consist entirely of players on the roster in 2019?

Can Evans and Havenstein play on the same OL (one at OG)?

Questions...

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

The 2020 Rams right now, have under Contract, the following OL Yutes:

PRESENTLY SIGNED
Joe Noteboom
Brian Allen
Jemil Demby
Jeremiah Kolone
Austin Corbett
Nate Trewyn
Bobby Evans
David Edwards
Chandler Brewer

PLUS OL VET, RIGHT TACKLE ROB HAVENSTEIN
10 BODIES TOTAL SIGNED

FREE AGENTS
Andrew Whitworth UFA
Austin Blythe UFA
Coleman Sheldon ERFA
3 RAM OL FREE AGENTS FOR 2020
**all above per spotrac.com

That's a potential of 13 Ram OL Bodies for 2020....so tons of "Quantity" eh! :idea2:
The question for the Ram 2020 OL....
do McSnead have enough in-house "Quality" to field an effective OL unit for 2020? :?2:

ME: I'd be very very surprised if McSnead didn't go out in the 2020 Draft and/or Free Agency to improve the in-house Quality of their OL bodies. :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

by R4L
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:Not sure why "some fans" didn't like Evans and Edwards. They did well considering and showed why they were good draft finds.

I don;t know how many OLs Kromer has built but this won't be the first. It won't even be the first for the Rams.

I like the deadpan joke about "if" the Rams had a capable teacher for the OL. 8-)

You're right. He remade the line last season. And it was terrible. 8-)
Hope he does a better job this year.

by /zn/
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

R4L wrote:You're right. He remade the line last season. And it was terrible. 8-)
Hope he does a better job this year.

Do you know why . it was terrible? (To start the season. It wasn't to end the season. Which has to be accounted for or you have no real argument.)

So why was the OL terrible to START the season (as opposed to the several top OLs Kromer re-made before, including the Rams...and in contrast to the fact that it was not terrible to finish the season).

If your answer is the 2 newbies, that would be a big "wrong."

• 1 / 8
71 posts Apr 19 2024