by Elvis
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -birthday/

Goodell says schedule will celebrate Los Angeles, Las Vegas and 100th birthday

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 29, 2020, 1:28 PM EST

The NFL plans to do something special with the schedule to open two new stadiums in 2020, as well as to celebrate the date of September 17, 2020, which the NFL recognizes as its 100th birthday.

Asked today if the NFL might give either the Rams or the Chargers the annual Thursday night opener in the new Los Angeles stadium, Goodell said he wasn’t prepared to say that. But Goodell did say the league is hoping to have special events surrounding the opening of the Los Angeles stadium, the opening of the Las Vegas Raiders’ new stadium, and the 100th birthday event.

“We are going to be relaunching two teams in Los Angeles and one in Las Vegas. In addition, we will be celebrating our 100th birthday on September 17,” Goodell said. “Our hope would be to create the biggest and best platform for all of those events. They’re very significant to the future of the league.”

September 17 is the second Thursday of the NFL season, so the league will likely do something to recognize the significance of the date for that Thursday night game. As for the Thursday night opener, Goodell said it won’t necessarily feature the Super Bowl winner, as it has most years. All of that is still being worked out.

by AvengerRam
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Cowboys @ Rams seems like a very likely choice for the Thursday opening game.

I think it would be an insult to Kroenke for SoFi to be inaugurated with a Chargers game.

by SpeedRacer
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   389  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

AvengerRam wrote:Cowboys @ Rams seems like a very likely choice for the Thursday opening game.

I think it would be an insult to Kroenke for SoFi to be inaugurated with a Chargers game.

That would be like Hanna-Barbera cutting the ribbon at Disneyland.

Just imagine how hot Silent Stan would be if Dean Spanos opened up KroekeLand. Wow!

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Cowboys @ Rams seems like a very likely choice for the Thursday opening game.

I’d bet my house on it being Rams/Cowboys as the opener.

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Agreed and wholeheartedly agreed.
There would be something seriously wrong in the NFL hierarchy if the Rams don't play football in their 1st.
The thought is Blasphemy !!!!!!

by PARAM
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Rams - Cowboys sounds like a great option, considering Jerrah was totally behind SK moving back to the left coast. I would lean more towards a division game like the niners or Seahawks. Or perhaps a storied franchise like the NY Giants (I think everybody in the NFL offices would like a Rams win!!!) or a recent dynasty like the Patriots?

by aeneas1
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

would an on-paper weaker team than the cowboys be a better option for the rams first game in their new digs, load the deck for a win?

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:would an on-paper weaker team than the cowboys be a better option for the rams first game in their new digs, load the deck for a win?

Jerry gets his prize of national TV time and adulation.

by norcalramfan
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   321  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Whoever the schedule makers decide who the Rams will open up against, lets hope the Ram fans don't sell their ticket to the secondary market buyer. Can you imagine the opening of the best NFL stadium and it looking like a 49er home game.

• 1 / 4
35 posts Apr 19 2024