10 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

PER RAMSWIRE:
Matt Daniels, former Rams Special Teams Assistant is off to Dallas to join John Fassel as his ST Assistant in Big D. Daniels came to the Rams as a player 2012-14, then played in Jacksonville and San Diego 2014-15.

Daniels played on STs for Fassel as a Rams player, so they have a connection going back to 2012. Daniels bio page has been removed from Rams website.

ME: Anybody else find it strange that neither our new OC O'Connell nor new DC Staley have their bios up on the Rams Roster page?
Also that Fisch guy left mysteriously to NE at the Senior Bowl, now this sudden Daniels defection from McVay to Fassel in Dallas.

Question: Maybe McVay, with all of his talents with Offensive X's & O's, his verbiage talents at the podium, his photographic memory for plays & sequences long gone, etc etc...….
…...maybe inhouse, and up-close & personal, maybe McVay is not the inspiring & compelling leader that inhouse subordinates want to dive onto the loose hand grenade for?? :?2: :arrow2: :?

Not saying that I believe McVay is a poor leader.....but the Rams Coaching turnover this offseason is a tad strange, no? EG. why no pressers welcoming the new DC and OC? Why nothing about them on the Rams website?

The popular John Fassel leaving would not have surprised me if he was moving-on to further his career by grabbing a promotion somewhere.....BUT, Fassel's move to Dallas was just a lateral move! :?
Strange.

by Elvis
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Yeah i posted this yesterday in the Bones thread.

So on the one hand, "heads need to roll" but on the other, "is it somehow telling us something negative about Sean McVay that heads are rolling?"

As Hammond has been reporting it, Sean McVay was a different coach 3 years ago. Where he might have really leaned on the experience of guys like Wade and Fassell, he now has a more specific idea of how he wants to shape his defense and special teams and the confidence as a HC with 3 years under his belt to do it.

If McVay is looking to make a change philosophy wise on ST, makes sense he wouldn't promote from within, same with the defense.

When we hired O'Connell, seemed like someone would be moving on. Fisch made the most sense since he was the guy without any position coach duties and the one, it seems to me, who KO was most directly replacing.

Maybe the Rams are waiting for the staff to be finalized before making official announcements?

Anyway, as always, the proof will be in the pudding...

by BobCarl
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

CanuckRightWinger wrote:maybe McVay is not the inspiring & compelling leader that inhouse subordinates want to dive onto the loose hand grenade for??

to further your point ... self-help books and "leadership" clichés only last for so long.

I understand the "we not me" concept. Who ever thought that RB's should have to pass protect? (I'm not saying that Gurley has a problem with that) but who expects their #4 hitter to bunt all the time.? I also understand the disenfranchised elite players that are required to buy into the " 'we' have no use for my elite talent" system.

On the other hand, some elite players (and perhaps coaches) are nothing but cancer. (Michael Crabtree is a perfect example). Sometimes cancer can be cured, sometimes it can't.

I still believe in McVay, his play calling seems to want to put his offensive playmakers in position to display their elite talents ... can't say that is what happened from his DC.

I don't think that any player is bigger than his team .. nor do I think that any DC or Special Teams Coach is bigger than his players. (nor should any DC expect to be bigger than his HC)

McVay is still a VERY young coach ... and lacks GM control of the players he has to work with. (even a Qb he didn't draft). I still have a lot of confidence in McVay maturing and getting better, and putting more of his thumbprint on every player on the team.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Hey, I said that I didn't think McVay was a bad leader....right?

But I just thought they'd rollout the new OC and DC with some pomp&circumstance is all. Also, we know that Demoff and the ownership thought highly of Fassel, hence his installation as Interim HC in late 2016 when Fisher was cashiered......so Fassel just leaving for a lateral move struck me as odd......now Matt Daniels.

So Elvis, just to declare.....I have faith in McVay and Snead. Just asking some questions here in ProBowl Doldrum Week is all! ;)

BTW, in Sean McVay's biggest off-season move, he followed my advice about letting Wade NiceGuy,TooOld Phillips go.....so how can I be angry at the young man huh? :idea2: :arrow2: :lol2:

by BobCarl
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

CanuckRightWinger wrote:BTW, in Sean McVay's biggest off-season move, he followed my advice

Good advice. At the very least he should send you tickets to the home opener.

by actionjack
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   3934  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Hey, I said that I didn't think McVay was a bad leader....right?

But I just thought they'd rollout the new OC and DC with some pomp&circumstance is all. Also, we know that Demoff and the ownership thought highly of Fassel, hence his installation as Interim HC in late 2016 when Fisher was cashiered......so Fassel just leaving for a lateral move struck me as odd......now Matt Daniels.

So Elvis, just to declare.....I have faith in McVay and Snead. Just asking some questions here in ProBowl Doldrum Week is all! ;)

BTW, in Sean McVay's biggest off-season move, he followed my advice about letting Wade NiceGuy,TooOld Phillips go.....so how can I be angry at the young man huh? :idea2: :arrow2: :lol2:

The Rams will at some point make these announcements with tons of hype, but clearly they are waiting until all the dust settles. We probably need a ST coach first...

by dieterbrock
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Maybe there’s another move in the works and they’d like to announce together.
My guess for special teams?
KC’s Dave Toub has been one of the premier ST coaches in the league for long time. Since he is likely never going to get a HC gig, and will be there awhile, I’m thinking there’s a coach there who is ready for a promotion and Rams are waiting

On a side note, did Callahan end up in Cleveland?

by TomSlick
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

Fill out the staff then make a splash after the Super Bowl. Later, you do a big reveal for the unis.

As for McVay, the dude has 3 consecutive winning seasons...I'm not worried about his selection process. Our boy is growing up.

• 1 / 1
10 posts Apr 16 2024