69%
No
31%
 by Neil039
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Take out the shat show that was the Giants for the past 5-6 years and I bet fans see his career differently. I voted yes. He did thankfully beat the Patriots 🙂

by dieterbrock
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Neil039 wrote:Take out the shat show that was the Giants for the past 5-6 years and I bet fans see his career differently. I voted yes. He did thankfully beat the Patriots 🙂

Eli’s last 6 seasons as starter, defense ranked from 22-30 5 times, and gave up more points than scored in 6 of last 7. The one season where the defense was #2? 11-5 record.
He’ll be in 1st ballot

I think the interesting debate is whether Philip Rivers gets in

by Elvis
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

As dieter pointed out Manning didn't just win two SB's, he won 2 SB MVPs. It's not like he was Trent Dilfer out there...

by rams74
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

I voted yes. But I don't really care. I mean, he denied the Patriots two more titles. I'll always be grateful to him for doing what the Rams couldn't.

But I don't see what Tom Flores has to do with Eli getting into the HOF.

by moklerman
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:I voted yes. But I don't really care. I mean, he denied the Patriots two more titles. I'll always be grateful to him for doing what the Rams couldn't.

But I don't see what Tom Flores has to do with Eli getting into the HOF.
Flores illustrates that 2 rings doesn't equal induction.

by BobCarl
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

moklerman wrote:Flores and Plunkett not being in is perplexing to me. Both of them have 2 rings ...

No telling what kind of billshit Al Davis pulled with the media.

There was no way Stabler was going to be in while he was alive as payback for Stabler setting up a reporter by putting drugs in his car and calling the cops on him.

Al Davis had as many contacts with mobsters as anybody in the NFL.

Flores and Plunket will probably get in after they die

by moklerman
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:No telling what kind of billshit Al Davis pulled with the media.

There was no way Stabler was going to be in while he was alive as payback for Stabler setting up a reporter by putting drugs in his car and calling the cops on him.

Al Davis had as many contacts with mobsters as anybody in the NFL.

Flores and Plunket will probably get in after they die
In addition to what they did on the field, I think in today's cultural environment it's all the more surprising that these guys both haven't been recognized because of their ethnicity. While it shouldn't matter what race you are, the pioneers who had great success are usually celebrated.

Plunkett was the Elway of his era and IMO, his story is remarkable. Once he finally got onto a decent/good team, he won 2 SB's.

Flores was a good player and as a coach, won more SB's than John Madden.

Maybe neither of them are slam-dunk, first ballot guys but both should be in already IMO. Like I said though, it's difficult to nail down what constitutes "fame". Piling up statistics and longevity have always been lesser qualifications to me. An example of which would be Frank Gore. Every year he climbs higher on the cumulative lists but I don't consider him a HOF'er at all. He'll easily get in but he isn't what I consider a HOF'er.

That'd be like Vinny Testaverde getting in IMO.

by dieterbrock
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Flores illustrates that 2 rings doesn't equal induction.

Manning has 2 rings, 2 SB MVP and as you pointed out, Multiple career stats in top 10.
Flores has the 2 SB, but no arguable career to go with it. Didn’t even win 100 games. His post Raiders career crushes his credibility.
If Flores is in, so is George Seifert. Both guys took over top teams, won 2 SB and then were epic failure elsewhere

Same could be said about Plunkett regarding lack of career stats. He couldn’t even keep the starting job after being Suprbowl MVP.

• 2 / 5
46 posts Apr 15 2024