151 posts
  • 14 / 16
 by PARAM
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:I could have met Bob Gibson at a charity function one time. I refused as I was too scared.

I just finished the book "Year of the Pitcher" about 1968. They paint Gibson as aloof with reporters he didn't know but otherwise a very humorous guy within the clubhouse. He refused to fraternize with the opposition before games and don't care approach him on the day he was pitching. IMO, a true competitor who was one of the best pitchers ever. Unfairly compared to Sandy Koufax but I'd take Gibson's career over Sandy's, regardless of the perfect games, no hitters, etc. Of course Gibson had a no-no IIRC. Oh, and nobody was better in a big game. Starting in 1964 (when he beat my Yankees twice) he threw 8 consecutive complete games in the World Series, winning 7 of them. They don't make them like Bob Gibson anymore.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I just finished the book "Year of the Pitcher" about 1968. They paint Gibson as aloof with reporters he didn't know but otherwise a very humorous guy within the clubhouse. He refused to fraternize with the opposition before games and don't care approach him on the day he was pitching. IMO, a true competitor who was one of the best pitchers ever. Unfairly compared to Sandy Koufax but I'd take Gibson's career over Sandy's, regardless of the perfect games, no hitters, etc. Of course Gibson had a no-no IIRC. Oh, and nobody was better in a big game. Starting in 1964 (when he beat my Yankees twice) he threw 8 consecutive complete games in the World Series, winning 7 of them. They don't make them like Bob Gibson anymore.

I’ve been told that he’s a nice guy. The place to catch him was at Spring Training where he would be nice to fans. Just don’t be a professional autograph collector looking to resell his stuff.

I also heard that new players had to be physically pushed over to work with him/get advice. But once they got past it, they loved his help.

But getting back on topic, having Gibson go back out there and plunking cheating Astros players would be great. When I saw him in person I was amazed at how great he looked for his late 70s. Sadly he’s supposedly having health issues.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind seeing Chatman plunk a few Astros in the ribs with a few 105 mph fastballs. Let the players decide the punishment.

by BobCarl
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Chatman plunk a few Astros in the ribs with a few 105 mph fastballs. Let the players decide the punishment.

Being a long-time St. Louis homer ... where is the master of chin-music and stick-it-up-your-ribs Bob Gibson when you need him?

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:Being a long-time St. Louis homer ... where is the master of chin-music and stick-it-up-your-ribs Bob Gibson when you need him?

Lol, guys like him and Don Drysdale took care of business in their own special way.

I remember someone mentioning a quote by Drysdale on his philosophy when it comes to beanball wars. "You hit one of my guys I hit two of yours. Let me know when you've had enough". :lol2:

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

by Zen_Ronin
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

St. Loser Fan wrote:

Well, announcing the Cam Newton signing today suddenly makes a lot more sense.

by snackdaddy
3 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Zen_Ronin wrote:Well, announcing the Cam Newton signing today suddenly makes a lot more sense.

Lol, that Belichick is one shrewd character. "I don't care what it takes or who it is, sign a high profile guy and announce it when the cheating punishment is announced".

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

by Hacksaw
3 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Will this be the resurrection of Newton or the beginning of the end for Belicheat?

This is the 3rd time (or were there more?) they've been caught under BB"s leadership. Three strikes yer out.

• 14 / 16
151 posts Apr 16 2024