CLOSE
81 posts
  • 2 / 9
 by laram
4 days ago
 Total posts:   367  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

moklerman wrote:Are there a bunch of black coaches who were more qualified? I'd say the NFL is color blind when it comes to talent. If you can produce wins, they'll hire you. White, black, green or otherwise.

WoW I couldn't disagree with you more here.

The NFL is a good old boy network that hires people they either like, know or come highly recommended by a friend or colleague.

How would they know IF one could produce wins or not without an opportunity?

Based on the firing rate every year that would indicate they don’t know shit!!!

You wanna try and convince me that Judge has done more than Eric Bienemy?

Look at the number of recycled coaches that get hired every year minus a few exceptions, most come in after having failed previously.

Yeah they’re color blind alright, except when it comes to management positions.

Really shocked by your position here.

by BobCarl
3 days ago
 Total posts:   3157  
Superstar

laram wrote:they’re color blind alright, except when it comes to management positions.

reverse bigotry never happens either?

by moklerman
3 days ago
 Total posts:   5573  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

laram wrote:WoW I couldn't disagree with you more here.

The NFL is a good old boy network that hires people they either like, know or come highly recommended by a friend or colleague.

How would they know IF one could produce wins or not without an opportunity?

Based on the firing rate every year that would indicate they don’t know shit!!!

You wanna try and convince me that Judge has done more than Eric Bienemy?

Look at the number of recycled coaches that get hired every year minus a few exceptions, most come in after having failed previously.

Yeah they’re color blind alright, except when it comes to management positions.

But nepotism doesn't equal racism.

There aren't an unlimited number of jobs or black candidates available and it goes in cycles. There were 8 black head coaches a couple of years ago and now that number is smaller. But it isn't because the league refuses to give black coaches a chance. Arians hired a black OC and DC. The league didn't try to block him or talk him out of it.

by dieterbrock
3 days ago
 Total posts:   11196  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:But nepotism doesn't equal racism.

And in the case of the Giants and Browns (amongst others), incompetence doesn't equal racism either.
Some real head scratchers for sure.

And yeah man, nepotism is how the world works, not just the NFL. Sure companies will follow protocol and "post" open jobs (even though they already know who they want to hire) but there is no way to stop the wink wink obligatory interviews

by Kid Charlamagne
3 days ago
 Total posts:   343  
Starter

I think it’s important to ask the question is everyone who deserves a chance getting one and not just assume that the best candidates will be the ones chosen.
We’ve seen this over and over again, minorities weren’t even allowed to play with white players at one time. When they finally were it was at certain positions because of perceived limitations. There was no rule against having a black qb, somehow it just didn’t happen. Now black coaches are trying to get head coaching jobs. I get that race shouldn’t be a factor in getting these jobs but we can’t ignore a guy like Kitchens getting a job and promptly getting fired, a guy like Judge who was a special teams guy who’s never called plays, Zac Taylor who was wr and qb coach. Clearly, designing an offense and calling plays isn’t the prerequisite it used to be, and yet there don’t seem to be many black coaches.
There seems to be a path to go from nba player to coach, there are a lot of ex players who are now head coaches. That doesn’t seem to be the case for black players.
Owners are willing to take chances on guys who might not be well known candidates just not if they’re minorities.
The only way this changes is if there are more minorities in positions to make decisions. In this country billionaires are usually white men and those are the people buying football teams, this is an exclusive club that is printing money and not inclined to change their membership, so change will probably take time.

by moklerman
3 days ago
Hall of Fame

Kid Charlamagne wrote:I think it’s important to ask the question is everyone who deserves a chance getting one and not just assume that the best candidates will be the ones chosen.
There aren't enough jobs for "everyone" who deserves a chance to get an interview. There are plenty of white coaches who also don't get that golden opportunity. But in today's NFL, I find it very difficult to accept that the black Bill Belichick is out there and just being oppressed because of his skin color.

At least when it comes to the talent, like coaching and players. I really have no idea about the management stuff. But even there, I don't think the NFL would exclude a talented executive if they came along. Ozzie Newsome was unproven and was given a chance.

I'm open to the possibility of the negative aspect that some are presenting and I don't dismiss or argue that racism isn't a part of the history of our country and of the NFL. But I don't see it as relevant in 2020.

When it comes to ownership? Is it racism that is keeping out black owners or a lack of interested black billionaires?

by Elvis
3 days ago
 Total posts:   23773  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

moklerman wrote:I don't dismiss or argue that racism isn't a part of the history of our country and of the NFL.

When you combine nepotism with a history of racism doesn't something like the Rooney Rule make sense?

by BobCarl
3 days ago
 Total posts:   3157  
Superstar

Elvis wrote:When you combine nepotism with a history of racism doesn't something like the Rooney Rule make sense?

The Rooney Rule turns African Americans into tokens. The NFL needs to grow up.

by moklerman
3 days ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:When you combine nepotism with a history of racism doesn't something like the Rooney Rule make sense?
I actually don't know how I feel. I mean, I'm all for equal opportunity but I don't know that mandating black applicants is the answer. One shouldn't be excluded because of their skin color but neither should one get an opportunity just because of their skin color.

by St. Loser Fan
3 days ago
 Total posts:   3763  
Superstar

moklerman wrote:Is it racism that is keeping out black owners or a lack of interested black billionaires?

A google search says there are 617 billionaires in America. 6 of them are black. Jay Z is one of those six and I guess the NFL has him in the development pipeline for ownership. So I guess those other 5 better get their butts in gear.

• 2 / 9
81 posts Jan 17 2020