104 posts
  • 2 / 11
 by Indrid Cold
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

/zn/ wrote:Seattle did run some 6-man front though. The announcers were focusing on it during the game, and talking about how the Rams countered it.

In my viewing, which admittedly doesn't include counting fronts every play, seemed like that wasn't their base D and they didn't try it out much until the second half--after the damage had been done. Could be wrong.

Dallas will likely play it straight up, too, based on their tendencies.

by moklerman
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Indrid Cold wrote:In my viewing, which admittedly doesn't include counting fronts every play, seemed like that wasn't their base D and they didn't try it out much until the second half--after the damage had been done. Could be wrong.

Dallas will likely play it straight up, too, based on their tendencies.
The scary thing about Dallas is their turmoil. You'd imagine that would just be a negative but I hope the Rams don't assume too much because they are on a downward spiral with a lame duck coach.

by Neil039
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

I don’t think the a Rams will get lulled into complacently with the Cowboys. That’s just MO, although it would be good for the coaches to address it with the team.

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Dallas could suddenly stand up and try to act like a real team. There's some incentive to do that playing the 2018 NFC champs. That would make it a tougher challenge. As it stands they are 7th in the league in pressure percentage, which they managed to do in spite of being a circus.

by sloramfan
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

ok..

some of us aren't really that impressed with the O-line against seattle...but weren't they okay, to pretty good against chicago?.. and yes the ravens game was a complete game letdown, but...

i, for one am completely stoked, with the way the o-line has been playing.. they look as good as ANY o-line i've seen to date.. howcome the coach's missed this to begin with, i don't know.. and i really dont care...

this o-line is a powerful bunch, and i believe will propel us to the playoffs and beyond...

these kids are ballers, and i love watching them play..

the rams fell into a great big luck out... enjoy ram fans..

go rams

slo

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

sloramfan wrote:i, for one am completely stoked, with the way the o-line has been playing.. they look as good as ANY o-line i've seen to date.. howcome the coach's missed this to begin with, i don't know.. and i really dont care...

slo

I agree and am cautiously optimistic. Why didn't they do it earlier? I think it's because these coaches are usually reluctant to start rookies, though they have in rare instances. But the 3 new OL replacements include 2 rookies and 1 guy who was acquired in a midseason trade. One of them, Evans, was still struggling in the preseason. They even started Demby ahead of them, I suppose just because he had more experience in the system. Edwards even looked good in pre-season and they still delayed starting him over Demby until week 7, when he replaced Noteboom. All 3 are now starting because they had to replace Allen (and therefore Blythe at guard), NB, and Hav all at pretty much the same time. I am not sure if any of them would have started this year if not for that.

To offer another example, they liked Johnson immediately in 2017 but did not start him until game 5.

Rapp and Kupp got a lot of playing time as rookies. But I think those 2 were just exceptionally pro ready guys.

So though they have started some rookies right off, like Kupp, I think they prefer to develop a guy a bit before he starts.

by dieterbrock
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

I don't know if the oline gives McVay more confidence to run more creative play calling, or if the more creative play calling gives the oline more confidence.
Either way, both areas look improved and for that we should all be stoked

by snackdaddy
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I expect a tougher test for the offense next game. But I suspect the defense can have another solid game. Cowboys have the talent on offense but they seem to be lost. Its a game we should win. I'm not sure 2 games means you're hitting your stride. But the Rams are trending up at the moment. If the offense does well again I like our chances the rest of the way.

by Haden
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2134  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

Indrid Cold wrote:Hmm, outside zone and bootleg rollouts off it. Sounds a lot like last year and just that McVay is running his bread and butter as neither AZ or SEA featured that 6-man front.

Pleased as hell with the results, but I don't see some magic adjustment yet.

Seattle ran a bunch of 6 man fronts. As ZN noted, Colinsworth commented on it during the games and they highlighted it in their graphics

• 2 / 11
104 posts Apr 19 2024