22 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by snackdaddy
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Well, if they've been saving Gurley for the stretch run, I'd say its the stretch run. At least two of the next 3 games are must win. Maybe all 3. No point in conserving him now.

by Hacksaw
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

When it's all said and done, they might have held him back one game too many. If he was actually being held back by more than a very sore knee.
Some of our young f/o brass are already showing some tarnish. Hopefully they'll all shine again, , , starting tonight.

by DirtyFacedKid
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

I'd say it was a major miscalculation if this was more about saving him than not using him as much due to health issues.

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

DirtyFacedKid wrote:I'd say it was a major miscalculation if this was more about saving him than not using him as much due to health issues.

It was saving him because of an arthritic knee.

Last year they over-used him and as a result the knee flared up (pain/swelling) and he had to be sidelined.

You can run on an arthritic knee if you manage it and avoid that kind of flare-up. In this case that meant keeping his load down in the first half of the season.

If they DIDN'T do that then they would risk a flare-up like last December, and that means losing him for a few games (at least 2).

So last year they over-used him, the arthritic knee flared up, and they lost him for a couple of games.

This year they did it the other way around. Held him back early then turned to him late in the season.

This whole "I forgot how to use him" coy thing McV does fools no one. Nor is it even meant to fool anyone anymore--we just know that's how he will talk when the knee or load management questions come up. He does that, chances are, because Gurley does not want the knee talked about and the team respects that. But it has long since reached the point where when McV says stuff like that, we're just supposed to chuckle and shrug. He's not going to talk about the knee and be forthcoming. He's just not. He has a routine he uses when people ask, and we should never expect to get anything but that routine from him. Meanwhile if you look at their actions, it tells the story.

by Horny Mcbae
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

Unbelievable misstep if they were just “holding him back” for the late/post season. I just can’t bring myself to believe someone can be that stupid when we were going through that 3 game losing streak even if that idea seemed smart to begin the year

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

Horny Mcbae wrote:Unbelievable misstep if they were just “holding him back” for the late/post season. I just can’t bring myself to believe someone can be that stupid when we were going through that 3 game losing streak even if that idea seemed smart to begin the year

The alternative is to risk losing him if the knee flares up from overuse, like last year.

by moklerman
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:The alternative is to risk losing him if the knee flares up from overuse, like last year.
Yeah, would hate to do exactly what got them to the Super Bowl.

I say it's a much better plan to use Gurley and win games and then adjust if you have to.

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Yeah, would hate to do exactly what got them to the Super Bowl.

I say it's a much better plan to use Gurley and win games and then adjust if you have to.

Benching TG with a painful swollen knee and then not being able to rely on him consistently in the games after that is NOT what got them to a superbowl.

by R4L
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:It was saving him because of an arthritic knee.

Last year they over-used him and as a result the knee flared up (pain/swelling) and he had to be sidelined.

You can run on an arthritic knee if you manage it and avoid that kind of flare-up. In this case that meant keeping his load down in the first half of the season.

If they DIDN'T do that then they would risk a flare-up like last December, and that means losing him for a few games (at least 2).

So last year they over-used him, the arthritic knee flared up, and they lost him for a couple of games.

This year they did it the other way around. Held him back early then turned to him late in the season.

This whole "I forgot how to use him" coy thing McV does fools no one. Nor is it even meant to fool anyone anymore--we just know that's how he will talk when the knee or load management questions come up. He does that, chances are, because Gurley does not want the knee talked about and the team respects that. But it has long since reached the point where when McV says stuff like that, we're just supposed to chuckle and shrug. He's not going to talk about the knee and be forthcoming. He's just not. He has a routine he uses when people ask, and we should never expect to get anything but that routine from him. Meanwhile if you look at their actions, it tells the story.

Jesus man we know already. Just when you have a good take you have to come back with the arthritis shit. Give us a break lol.

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

R4L wrote:Jesus man we know already. Just when you have a good take you have to come back with the arthritis shit. Give us a break

Yeah you keep saying that.

Lol. 8-)

• 2 / 3
22 posts Apr 16 2024