11 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Neil039
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Completely confused by the Rams moves this past week.

No FA Off Linemen brought in?

Moved up PS guys who are on the PS for a reason :shock2:

Juggling RB and WR while Goff is getting killed behind a Swiss Cheese O Line!

Snead and McVay have been great the past two years. But by Gawd this seasons moves are head scratching to the point of scalping ones self.

by snackdaddy
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Perhaps its because there aren't any unsigned vets they feel would make a difference by now. The line is one area where cohesion and time together is important. Maybe they felt the guys playing together for at least a short while is a better option than someone coming in cold off the street.

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Neil039 wrote:Completely confused by the Rams moves this past week.

No FA Off Linemen brought in?

Moved up PS guys who are on the PS for a reason :shock2:

Juggling RB and WR while Goff is getting killed behind a Swiss Cheese O Line!

Snead and McVay have been great the past two years. But by Gawd this seasons moves are head scratching to the point of scalping ones self.

What would be the point of FA linemen? If anyone's good they're not available, and even if there were a couple of decent linemen mysteriously available, they wouldn;t know the system and it would take them a spell to get up to speed.

If you;re signing linemen off the street in November, it means your OL got injured and then the replacements got injured. The Rams actually did start some street FAs they signed in-season in 2007, but that was because it was the worst OL injury patch I've seen with the Rams. All the guys they brought in during the season that year were cut after the season and never played again. That's how bad it was.

The reason guys are on the PS is because you want to keep and develop them, so you stash them until you can start coaching them next OTAs. And any lineman on the PS will have been through camp and knows the system--they are simply going to be better than the kind of street FA that's available after the season starts.

This is how you act when your OL loses 3 starters. Everything they did is the right move if not the only good moves. They're not doing anything wrong. IMO your complaints about this are off base.

by R4L
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Agree. Those guys won't be suiting up anytime soon. Good post

by dieterbrock
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

I don’t understand the issue here.
Cooks is clearly not coming back any time soon and they were going to lose Webster. So they swapped places with Kelly.
In other moves, they addressed the oline by putting Allen on IR, bringing up OL Brewer from PS and signing Trewyn to PS.
Not saying that Brewer is any type of answer but that the Webster/Kelly swap has no effect on the Rams ability to bring in Oline help if they saw something available.

Now on the other hand, we don’t have a healthy TE on the team at the moment and not sure what the plan there is

by Neil039
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

dieterbrock wrote:I don’t understand the issue here.
Cooks is clearly not coming back any time soon and they were going to lose Webster. So they swapped places with Kelly.
In other moves, they addressed the oline by putting Allen on IR, bringing up OL Brewer from PS and signing Trewyn to PS.
Not saying that Brewer is any type of answer but that the Webster/Kelly swap has no effect on the Rams ability to bring in Oline help if they saw something available.

Now on the other hand, we don’t have a healthy TE on the team at the moment and not sure what the plan there is

The Kelly Webster move is run of the mill stuff IMO. The lack of apparent effort towards the Oline is puzzling and frustrating. I agree that it appears Cooks is done for a while, possibly the season :(

All I know if I were 6 inches taller to get to 6’4” I’d eat like a hog and show up to their training facility. I need another 100lbs but hey I’d be nimble!

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

According to Rapoport, the Webster move happened at least in part because another team tried to steal him. The only way out of that is to promote him to the roster.
Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
The #Rams are elevating practice squad WR Nsimba Webster to the 53-man roster, source said, in part because of Brandin Cooks’ absence and in part because another team tried to sign him to their roster.

In terms of doing stuff for the OL--they did. Your practice squad guys are just going to be better than a November street free agent, at least partly because they know the offensive system.

by PARAM
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I don't understand the statement "another team tried to sign Webster". I thought if you were on the practice squad and another team wanted you, you were gone....but it had to be to their 53 man roster. I'm glad they promoted him; just questioning the comment.

As far as the OL goes, I agree. The backups and PS guys just have to step up. We had two straight seasons of health there and now we've got some injuries. It was bound to happen. One positive would be the benefit of experience going forward (for Edwards, Evans, etc) for 2020.

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I don't understand the statement "another team tried to sign Webster". I thought if you were on the practice squad and another team wanted you, you were gone....but it had to be to their 53 man roster. I'm glad they promoted him; just questioning the comment.

As far as the OL goes, I agree. The backups and PS guys just have to step up. We had two straight seasons of health there and now we've got some injuries. It was bound to happen. One positive would be the benefit of experience going forward (for Edwards, Evans, etc) for 2020.

If another team tries to sign a guy off your PS you can prevent it by promoting him to your 53.
A team can choose to sign their own practice squad player to the 53-man roster as well. Often, a team will use the practice squad to keep depth in case of injuries, so they will call up players if an injury occurs. Teams will also call a player up to the 53-man roster if they feel another team is trying to poach a player the original teams wants to keep.

I agree with what you say about the OL.

by dieterbrock
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:If another team tries to sign a guy off your PS you can prevent it by promoting him to your 53.

I agree with what you say about the OL.

I couldn’t find the article but I read recently that a player being promoted from PS to same team 53 is basically automatic, but another team signing a PS player has to get contract approval etc which can delay the finalizing the move by several hours, thus always giving the host team the first shot at retention.
They could also give the PS player the same salary as the league minimum and could stay in the PS if they feel it’s a better opportunity

• 1 / 2
11 posts Apr 16 2024