36 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by aeneas1
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

most elo models now put the rams playoff chances in the low 20% range, but history shows teams that started the year 5-4 reached the postseason 42% of the time... of course unlike elo models, the 42% historical rate doesn't weigh 2019 records, head-to-head results, and strength of remaining schedules... that said, who cares, might as well cling to 42% than a low 20%!

in the last 19 years (2000-2018), 105 teams have started the year at 5-4 of which 44 (42%) reached the postseason, including the 2004 rams... here's a look at how these 44 teams fared:
01.png

and here's a closer look at the forty-four 5-4 teams that made the postseason dating back to the 2000 season, including how they fared in their final 7 games, what their final record was, and what they did with their postseason opportunity:

02.png

by ramsman34
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   8528  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Hmm. Well, other than the Saints game and to a lesser degree, the Hawks game, the Rams have not looked very good this season. I am starting to think the D might now be getting really good. Too bad the O is so stagnant. The Ravens look like a team we have zero chance of beating. However, I don’t see us going 6-1. 5-2 at best. And that puts us at 10-6 and probably needing a lot of help. I could see us losing to Sea, Balt, SF, Dal, beating Chi, and splitting with AZ. Ending up 7-9.

Just don’t think this season is gonna end in a playoff berth. Man, I hope I am wrong.

I bet you could group those other teams into two categories; teams who started hot and fell off late (injuries, easier early schedule, luck). And teams who started slow and finished strong. We are neither. We are an inconsistent team with no offensive identity, decimated by injury on the o line and some really suspect play calling, average QB play, and a sporadic run game.

by DirtyFacedKid
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:I have a hard time believing they can go .500 for the season at this point. I wish I was kidding.

Dear God I hope it's at least 8-8. I won't be able to handle the "7-9 Bullshit" jokes for however long. It'll be worse than the SOSAR days.

by DirtyFacedKid
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:It will.
I mean... what confidence level do you have they can beat Az twice? And then one of the other teams?

I'm actually pretty confident that we will beat them twice and at least another team. We're not a shit show or hapless by any stretch. We're just not who we were last year nor where we were at the beginning of the season. But we have a winning record and, should The Leg have nailed that field goal, we'd be at 6-3. Am I concerned? Of course. Do I have expectations of making the post-season? Nope.

I don't have high hopes but, I do expect at least 8-8. A Fisher meme rebirth would be a nightmare.

by UtahRam
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   362  
United States of America   Salt Lake City
Starter

The season is over. There is no way this team will win 6 or 7 of the remaining games. It's all about stat piling and getting some work in for developing the younger players. We've pissed the bed but won't move an inch 'cause it's so warm.

by Hacksaw
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Start evaluating talent and contracts.
Then get as much quality on the oline as you can possibly find in one off season. At least linemen aren't usually the highest paid players on the team..

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I'm not thinking playoffs. I want to see them improve and show they can score more than 3 points against a good defense. Do something this week and the next. But honestly, I don't see us staying with two TD's of Baltimore. They have a good enough defense to keep us in the teens and I doubt our defense can hold them under 30 points. Assuming that loss, we could afford maybe one more, maybe not. It doesn't look good. I have as much confidence as I did the Fisher years.

by dieterbrock
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Anyone know of a cool website where fans of the Rams talk about the team?
Bunch of cryin bitches round here
Rams will beat Chicago and next week the playoff picture will look better.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

There he goes once more...
ralphdieterbrock....

Knocking my hobbies again!!! ;) :arrow2: :lol2:

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Uh, after the Bears, which I will admit is a winnable game because their offense could actually be worse than ours, come the Ravens. Who happen to be the hottest team in the league right now. While we have an offense that could barely muster 3 points against a defense that is a little better than average. I'm pretty sure the Ravens defense is on par with the Steelers. Or say they're little below them and we can score 10 points. I'm not feeling the confidence.

I guess after what the Falcons did to the Saints anything can happen. But watching that offense sputter so much Sunday really took a lot out of me. They're gonna have to show some improvement to get me back on board. That offensive line is something else and Goff is not the kind of quarterback who ascend his play without a solid line. I'm still concerned about the long wind up on his throws. Too many times a defender gets a hand on it because it takes so long to release it.

• 1 / 4
36 posts Apr 20 2024