32 posts
  • 3 / 4
 by actionjack
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   3945  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

norcalramfan wrote:It's all about the play of the OL. They're old (Whitworth), and too young and inexperienced (Noteboom, Allen, Edwars etc) and not as stout as they should be. Goff has not forgotten how to pass, nor has TG forgotten how to run. Brown and Henderson didn't have much more success than TG. It's all about the OL.

The OL doesn't hold the point of attack, they are back peddling and being pushed into Goff on every passing down. He has no time to to go through the route tree progression and he is a pocket passer. McVay took this team over from the depths of an NFL also-ran and won the division two years in a row and got the team to the SB in year two.

Shanahan had the Niners playing like he was an absolute mistake of a hiring in years 1 and 2 and now has them playing quite well. He didn't become a genius in year 3 anymore than you suggest the opposite in McVay and that he's regressed in year 3.

It's all about the OL and their inability to create time for Goff and running lanes for the RB's. I would suggest the problem is less McVay and more Kroemer. His fingerprints are all over this shit show from talent evaluation and expected player ascension possibilities (Noteboom and Allen-were not ready and Demby is nothing more than a PS player).

Well well said. We are all frustrated but our line stinks so there isn’t much you can do. People can whine all they want, but it’s not McVay. Last thing we need to do us run a great coach out of town. Got to focus on o-line in off season. The good news is we don’t have much else in terms of weaknesses.

by SolarRam
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   140  
United States of America   San Diego, CA
Practice Squad

Thanks for kudos Bob...I've been an avid fan since I popped out of the womb. I guess its genetic. As a fellow southern Californian I followed them all the way to the Lou. I used to read the Post Dispatch before it got unruly and annoying...then popped over to RealRams Fan before it went downhill after the move back to LA. I looked for the next big thing and this board is by far the place with the most intelligent loyal fans. Thank you to all of you for providing great stuff and making me a smarter fan. As a math geek I'm always partial to A1's statistics. I'm glad he's using capital letters more these days.....hehe.

I'm a pretty quite internet poster. Typically I like to read the banter...but this 2020 whirlwind has me all kinds of pissed off. The way the Gurley saga has unfolded is another thing that has me frustrated. It doesn't make sense, never has and most likely never will. The Rams organization has shit the bed on how they've handled it. They've lied, they've changed their story, and they're dealing with a pissed off superstar that is obviously handling the situation like a professional. McVay is handling it like a 32 year old who's in over his head when it comes to managing people or personalities. Look, we all agree he's an Xs and Os guru, but that doesn't mean he can manage people a few years away from him in life wisdom. That doesn't mean he's solid on emotional intelligence, or getting the most out of someone when his play calling takes a crap on the carpet. The last 2 years he's won. He was ahead of the defenses and ahead of the league. There's tape now, there's data, there's 32 teams' databases/computer servers crunching statistics until Thursday night when the league shuts them down to make it fair. His advantage is gone. His game plans don't provide competitive advantage, his Oline is hurt and filled with sub-par play...so what does that mean for him?

It means he needs to find another way. And the fact that he isn't doing that IS the problem. He's not learning, he's not adapting, he's not leading....he's reacting. Shit, he's only 32, he might have his head in wedding planning for all we know. He's not in the zone that's for sure.

Instead of drinking on Sunday...I decided to vent on the keyboard. I was watching the game with the fam and I was complaining a ton. Usually my dad is the pessimist, but I can't stand what I'm seeing. I'm pretty convinced that its coaching. I can't imagine that those within the coaching ranks believe they have a solid Oline, so taking this and running with it, how can our coaches think that dropping back to pass from shotgun formations over and over again is a smart move? I bet most on this board can tell pre-snap when its a pass or run. The play action game isn't a threat. And the route tree is pretty predictable because of the down and distance we put ourselves into. I can't remember the last time I saw Goff make a 3 step drop from under center and throw a slant....or...dink and dunk the ball for an entire series. We've all looked at the All-22 shots and know that the defenses we're seeing can be beat with short/shallow routes. So where are those?

If we as fans can see it, why then are the people being paid millions of dollars not adjusting? It would be one thing if we were calling the plays that attack the defensive formulas we're now accustom to seeing. But we aren't. Why the fuck can't we see Gurley and Henderson on the field for 1 play at the same time? And do we have to use the same toss sweep to the right every time Henderson is in the game? Seriously...does the rookie only know 3 plays?

I'm a big fan of leadership development, personality development, and people management. I read about it all the time in an effort to get more out of the teams that I work with. What I see out of McVay is a young man that has a TON to learn. Its because of this that I'm worried. If they don't believe in his play calling, then the have to believe in something associated with his leadership. If the players are saying on social media that the team is going to stick together and figure this out....that's a bunch of crap. They shouldn't have to say that. In my opinion there's a locker room issue and this is only going to get worse. I hope I'm totally wrong....and good the Niners lost.

by PARAM
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

How do you go from genius for 2 years to losing the locker room after 9 games in year 3? I don't know if that's really possible so I couldn't tell you how. I don't know what plays McVay should call. When they ran the ball in the opening drive against SF and it was successful, that's a good thing. When they called the same play to Kupp 3 times on a drive against the Bengals, that's a bad thing?

I don't pretend to know the answers but the OL is a problem and despite his yardage total, Gurley doesn't look like Gurley. I'm not suggesting the latter is because of the OL. I hadn't believed that prior to yesterday's game but I do now. There are a lot of things wrong with the 2019 Rams but I don't believe it's just one thing like McVay or the OL or a lesser Gurley or missing Cooks.

I don't know if anybody noticed but the Steelers played a helluva game defensively. We helped them look even better but they played real well. It's shaping up to be 'one of those years'. Not as in 2016 or 2014 or 2009 or.... you get the point. An off year with McVay is probably going to be a winning season. Just not the amount which we've been quickly accustomed. Sucks but it's reality.

The only guys I want to lose from that locker room are the one's who will mail it in (and I'm not suggesting any one of them is doing that).

by aeneas1
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

yeah, mcvay losing the locker room any time soon strikes me as more than an enormous reach, especially in terms of gurley, this slump is mardi gras for him compared to what he went through with fisher... if nothing else i think it's pretty clear that mcvay respects his players and his players respect him, in fact i think they love playing for him.

that said, there's something going on with the offense that transcends a bad oline imo, instead it's a scheme that needs to be reworked... the steelers? sure, they played a solid game and have a better than average defense but, my goodness, they aren't that good, yet they absolutely embarrassed the rams.

hell, since 2012 the steelers have played 121 regular season games of which they've held an opponent to just 3 offensive points or less two times - once against the 2019 rams and once against the 2019 winless bengals.

anyway, i'm certainly not going to fret if the rams finish the year with more of a whimper than a bang, because i still think the future looks very bright, this thing doesn't come close to looking like an all-out dumpster fire to me, i think the rams can and will regroup for the 2020 season and continue to be one of the top teams in the league going forward.

by dieterbrock
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Haden wrote:LaFleur is doing good with Rogers in Green Bay. Just another offensive support that McVay has lost

LaFleur did a lousy job with Mariota last year while Goff was great without him. Do you think LaFleur might be helped by having Aaron Rodgers as his qb? I don’t think it’s the other way around

by bremillard
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   625  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

The Ram brain-trust ought to know by now that Goff needs a clean pocket. Even we, on this sight, know that much. The issue is why isn't there the personnel to insure this? The answer might be that there is too much money being spent on "skilled" players so there isn't enough money or draft choices to fortify the offensive line. The locker room gets lost when the leadership gets lost. The rest of the team know damned well how much money Goff is being paid and he isn't delivering. Elite money should translate into elite performances. Some of you here played football and some didn't but my experience tells me that players are talking. When the talk get serious the team implodes.

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

bremillard wrote:The Ram brain-trust ought to know by now that Goff needs a clean pocket. Even we, on this sight, know that much. The issue is why isn't there the personnel to insure this? The answer might be that there is too much money being spent on "skilled" players so there isn't enough money or draft choices to fortify the offensive line. The locker room gets lost when the leadership gets lost. The rest of the team know damned well how much money Goff is being paid and he isn't delivering. Elite money should translate into elite performances. Some of you here played football and some didn't but my experience tells me that players are talking. When the talk get serious the team implodes.

Is there anything said by players that makes you think McVay has lost the locker room? Has any reporter with better access than us said anything remotely suggesting that? Losing has a way to test everyone's patience. But I don't see anything that suggests the locker room is about to have a mutiny against the captain.

These guys know what life in the NFL is about. You don't always win. Injuries tend to disrupt the flow you developed. And you don't always revolt when you lose. All that does is make you look like a locker room problem yourself.

• 3 / 4
32 posts Apr 19 2024