32 posts
  • 2 / 4
 by Curly Horns
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   66  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

I agree with some of the OP. I think McVay is refusing to change things up to make up for OL deficiencies. And his play calling has become ridiculous. Those things I agree with.

As to WHY he doesn't change, well I don't believe the reasons given in the OP. I don't claim to have the answer as to WHY but it is the big question.

After watching them run the ball down their throats and completely dominating against sf on that opening drive, it is absolutely mind boggling why you would never come back to that? Why wouldn't you continue to implement what is successful? Why? It's almost as if he has purposely stayed away from what has been successful.

As far as losing the locker room and all that other dramatic speculation, well I don't believe any of that.

by moklerman
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Curly Horns wrote:I agree with some of the OP. I think McVay is refusing to change things up to make up for OL deficiencies. And his play calling has become ridiculous. Those things I agree with.

As to WHY he doesn't change, well I don't believe the reasons given in the OP. I don't claim to have the answer as to WHY but it is the big question.

After watching them run the ball down their throats and completely dominating against sf on that opening drive, it is absolutely mind boggling why you would never come back to that? Why wouldn't you continue to implement what is successful? Why? It's almost as if he has purposely stayed away from what has been successful.

As far as losing the locker room and all that other dramatic speculation, well I don't believe any of that.
He did the same thing last year after the Dallas game. Why abandon such a dominant approach until it's proved that it won't work?

If a defense takes something away, fine. Hats off to them, adjust and move on. But as you say, against SF they established a dominant running game, drove down the field and scored and then seemed to just give up on it.

Maybe it's too much of an oversimplification but it sure seems as though they aren't giving the conventional running game much of a chance. My impression is definitely that they are outsmarting themselves and complicating things.

by Curly Horns
4 years 5 months ago
Practice Squad

moklerman wrote:My impression is definitely that they are outsmarting themselves and complicating things.

So I'm thinking to myself I know that's a cliche "outsmart yourself" I don't use it much but like everyone else I've heard it enough.

So then I'm wondering WTH does that actually mean. I guess some dude wrote a book about it.

In short McVay is on record that he did just that in the SB and said it was a big mistake. Over thought things too much. So if he's actually doing that again and expecting different results....

Anyways, I don't buy it as the answer to WHY he won't change things up.

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I don't buy into the losing the locker room thing. That is just speculation based on nothing. A teams loses and the coach has lost the locker room. Pretty standard stuff but not really true most times. I'm pretty sure their locker room is just fine and McVay isn't losing them.

I am sure they're just as frustrated, if not more, than we are. They been accustomed to winning and looking good at it. Now they've hit a wall and can't get going. They're the professionals. They're the ones who need to find a way. If they don't, well, what can we do other than come here to vent? Life as an NFL fan. Your team isn't always gonna win.

by Curly Horns
4 years 5 months ago
Practice Squad

snackdaddy wrote:Life as an NFL fan. Your team isn't always gonna win.

Unless of course you've been a pats fan since 2001.
Amazing how that works !

by rather
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   349  
Starter

My father-in-law had a triple bypass surgery last week and has been recovering well. He is not a Rams fan but was able to watch the Rams game from his room. Even hopped up on painkillers he was able to determine that something is very wrong with the Rams and that they looked pitiful. We shared a good laugh about it.

by rather
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   349  
Starter

snackdaddy wrote:I don't buy into the losing the locker room thing. That is just speculation based on nothing. A teams loses and the coach has lost the locker room. Pretty standard stuff but not really true most times. I'm pretty sure their locker room is just fine and McVay isn't losing them.

I am sure they're just as frustrated, if not more, than we are. They been accustomed to winning and looking good at it. Now they've hit a wall and can't get going. They're the professionals. They're the ones who need to find a way. If they don't, well, what can we do other than come here to vent? Life as an NFL fan. Your team isn't always gonna win.

Coaches definitely can lose locker rooms IMO. When players sense that the coaches hold the accountability for a meltdown season they will check out. It's basic psychology. We are not there yet with McVay. If the downward trajectory continues in 2020 then it has a high likelihood of happening.

John Fox had an adroit way of dealing with this in his last season in Carolina(?). He basically told the players, yeah maybe I will be fired, but consider this. Other teams and front office guys are watching you, if you decide to tank out then that is a risk you are taking and you are the one who will see the consequences of that.

by BobCarl
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
Superstar

SolarRam wrote:He's in the middle of losing this team...and it's pissing me off.

Great post! I can tell that you are a loyal fan that has an above average football IQ.

Welcome to RFU.

Did you get banned from RamsOnDamand? Or did you just come here because you got tired of everyone over there beating you to the punch in preaching to the village choir?

Take off your tin-foil hat and stay a while. I think you have a lot of good things to bring to this party.

Cheers!

by dieterbrock
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Haden wrote:When you look at the offense last year with LaFleur and see how Green Bay has improved with LaFleur, he may be the answer to all the questions

Actually, Tennessee's offense is better this year than is was last year with LaFleur. What does this have to do with the Rams again?

• 2 / 4
32 posts Apr 17 2024