United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

We would be happy and Bortles would start next week :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

by SoCalRam78
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1086  
United States of America   SoCal
Pro Bowl

Jared Goff is mediocre. This year, he's been bad. Advanced and traditional stats say he's been piss poor in 2019. No arguments from me. 60% completion percentage is a joke. 11 TD passes in 9 games is laughable. He's a turnover factory against good defenses. His last 16 reg season game his traditional QBR is like a 79.

There are things with him that are alarming
1. He yips a lot of wide open throws. Seriously he's missed 4-5 guys this year on wide open TDs. Not line related. When he's had a decent pocket.
2. Game against Cincy when up a couple scores he basically was trying to give the game away by gift wrapping two easy INTs that the Bengals dropped. Sometimes people need to look beyond the box score.
3. He's developing the Jim Everett happy feet. Lot of back foot Jeff George throws. Many of them float. His mechanics are always hit or miss, this year they're terrible.

He is so far removed from the QB he was in the first 10 games of last year or even 2017. TG3 is a shell and the line is obviously a jok employing a bunch of home depot employees up front. But his play has sucked. Clearly he cannot play beyond his team's limitations. And since Wooderson gave him 140 million, Rams better hope to fix their offensive issues up front and in the playbook. Yes, McVay has sucked this year too.

by DirtyFacedKid
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

I heard a stat an hour ago on ESPN radio here in L.A. that Goff is ranked #34 in QBR over the past 17 games. If true, WTF??

by moklerman
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I'm heartened by his performance last night, for the most part... but, man.. he threw two ridiculous passes. One hurt them, the other didn't out of pure luck.
he's got to work on the completely boneheaded throws. I can handle mistakes here and there... but these are, "what the fuck" passes.
Inconsistency is certainly an issue with him. He'll make some great throws and then some WTF throws and too many just misses. There is talent there but consistently accessing seems to be a problem for some reason.

As has been said many times, if his production drops this drastically when he doesn't have a dominant running game and a clean pocket to work with, you have to worry. Even the production part could be dealt with but the potential and actual turnovers are problematic. Against Cincinnati and Chicago, in games the Rams were pretty much controlling, there were what, 4 dropped interceptions?

That's what he's got to clean up. It's fine if he doesn't carry the team but he's got to manage things better than that.

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

It is honestly really very simple. It is a rare qb who can play effectively behind a collapsed OL. There's a myth out there that good qbs can raise the play of a fallen OL, but I have only seen Wilson and Brady do that. With the rest, if the OL goes down, so does the qb. The qb's timing changes, his trust in the OL changes, he presses to make plays, the play calling changes, and so on.

The OL issues for the Rams get down to this. They began the season with both OTs regressing. You can probably play 2 youngsters on the OL if the OTs hold up. With both regressing the whole line was out of sync. Fortunately for the Rams, their OL began to unravel at a time when they had young quality replacements. That's pretty rare too.

IMO the mistake in these conditions is to act like it's all the qb. Some say yeah the OL was a mess but Goff was a mess too. An OL that is a mess CAUSES (with rare exceptions) the qb to fall apart too.

Here is an example from Rams history. In 2006 Bulger played pretty well. In 2007 the OL fell disastrously apart--starters got injured, and then the replacements would get injured. They were actually signing guys off the street in mid season and starting them. It destroyed any effectiveness Bulger had.

The numbers:

2006: in 16 starts, completed 63.3% with 24 TDs, 8 Ints, a 7.3 YPA, and a qb rating of 92.9, which ranked 7th in the league.

2007: in 12 starts, completed 58.4% with 11 TDs, 15 Ints, a 6.3 YPA, and a qb rating of 70.3, which ranked 30th in the league.

Back then some folks wanted to put it all on the qb. Nah, you break a line that bad and as a rule the qb is screwed.

Most qbs need an at least relatively healthy, functioning OL. Like I said Brady and Wilson have played effectively with busted OLs, but it caught up with them some games too. But those 2 aside, this is not a case of the qb "needs everything to be perfect"--there's a tipping point where OL play is so subpar, the qb will just look bad.

by snackdaddy
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

We know Goff can be close to elite with a good line protecting him. But how many teams have those lines the consistently protect their quarterbacks? How many can sustain it year after year? There are a few out there, but most have their bumps during the game. The teams that are winning have QB's that take advantage when the protection is there on a given play. Even when their overall game is off. Goff is up and down with that. One play he can drop a dime. Another he can make a terrible throw or a terrible decision. Even with decent protection on that play.

I'm usually a Goff defender but it doesn't take a trained eye to see he's playing poorly. That INT Sunday was a first year rookie mistake. He's in his 4th year. He's made some WTF decisions to throw the ball into coverage. Yeah, I know the line has not held up for the most part. But Goff has to take some accountability for his mistakes. Not all were due to heavy pressure in his face. If he can't get better with that we will see more games where the offense can only account for 3 points one game, 7 in another.

by ziggy
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   595  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

snackdaddy wrote:But Goff has to take some accountability for his mistakes.

I think this is what I'm not seeing a lot of. I'm concerned with uber humble and player friendly coach McVay always taking it for the team. ("I'm just not putting my players in a good position"...) The players tend to think they are absolved from things that they might otherwise work on and get right.

I feel like Goff is a bit too coddled at this point and he does need to get right. I think he's a good QB and can get right-- but the recognition has to be there.

by azramsfan93
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

ziggy wrote:I think this is what I'm not seeing a lot of. I'm concerned with uber humble and player friendly coach McVay always taking it for the team. ("I'm just not putting my players in a good position"...) The players tend to think they are absolved from things that they might otherwise work on and get right.

I feel like Goff is a bit too coddled at this point and he does need to get right. I think he's a good QB and can get right-- but the recognition has to be there.

Accountability needs to be a team only event. It should not and will not be aired in the media for public consumption. You assume there isn’t any because coach doesn’t throw anyone under the bus with the media.

You have no idea unless you are on the team. Are you?

by rams74
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:It is honestly really very simple. It is a rare qb who can play effectively behind a collapsed OL. There's a myth out there that good qbs can raise the play of a fallen OL, but I have only seen Wilson and Brady do that.

Kurt Warner was great at this. His Cardinals' O-lines were in the bloody awful category. He masked virtually all their problems (with the exception of when they would knock the ball out of his hands or step on his feet).

by rams74
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

snackdaddy wrote:But Goff has to take some accountability for his mistakes. Not all were due to heavy pressure in his face.

Goff's margin for error is much slimmer than it was the past 2 seasons. When the offense was functioning in high gear, his decision making was very good and he would often just throw the ball away.

I'm sure he feels like it's on him to pull the offense out of it and win a close game. He may not have heavy pressure in his face all the time, but he's clearly pressing.

• 17 / 43
428 posts Apr 16 2024