30 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

I was all-in when Los Ramos signed Dante Fowler for the $12Million this spring. After all, it was Fowler who hit Drew Brees's arm in the NFCCG in New Orleans that enabled John Johnson to snag that OT Mallard from the Saints QB, which led us to SBLIII in Atlanta. :idea2:

Everybody was saying all the right things when we signed Fowler too!....IE.

--Aaron NFL'sBest! Donald in the media predicted a monster year for Dante in 2019.
--McSnead's brilliance of only a ONE YEAR DEAL would compel Fowler to show his best stuff in 2019, angling for a Big Payday Multiyear Contract in 2020. This was a foolproof motivator for Fowler for 2019.
--Fowler's lackluster Sack Totals throughout his career, including the meagre FOUR he managed all of 2018 in 15 games split between the Jags and Rams, was explained away thusly: Dante Fowler was just a Local FLA bumpkin "Florida kid who'd never ventured far from home" so when he played his College ball in FLA and then went to Jacksonville as the #3 OVERALL PICK IN THE 2014 DRAFT AFTER ONLY QBs WINSTON AND MARRIOTA....then got injured in Jaguars' TC and got IR'd for his whole rookie year...….so the media spin was, Fowler's lack of SACK production as a Jaguar was just due to:
that demoralizing rookie year injury,
mismanagement of Fowler's obvious talents by inept Jaguar coaches,
and that local bumpkin spin BS, where Fowler was just due any minute to blossom.....but just needed a new start outside of Florida. :roll2:

FACT: Fowler had 4 sacks last year. That Kroenke Bucks $12 Million incentive has him presently on pace for 5.5 sacks for this season. :oops2: Yet, every week Rams gamefilm shows Fowler being blocked one-on-one, as Aaron TurboRusher Donald gets double and triple-teamed. :x

Until Fowler starts to actually EARN his $12 Mil FOR THE RAMS this year, to me he will be:
DUD-te Fowler
Dante Flounder
Dante FloridaFluff

OTOH, maybe the arrival of his old College teammate Jalen Ramsey inspires Fowler to finally start producing.....one can only hope! :idea2:

As always, JMO.

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

On the bright side he shouldn't be too expensive if they wanted to bring him back.

by sloramfan
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

honestly? my opinion?..

i'd take quinn over fowler, any day..

how did the rams fuck that up?

go rams

slo

by Indrid Cold
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Sack numbers disappointing for sure. But then again if you pro-rate Matthews, I guess he was going to have an 18+ sack season. Yeah right. The best Wade P. defenses had that elite edge rusher (kind of the whole reason to play a 3-4, which still after Year 3 seems counter to the Rams' personnel strengths). We can rightfully bang on Fowler given his $12M plus salary, but 13 sacks over 6 six games is pretty pathetic for the unit overall. There's been basically nobody but Donald getting to the QB for 3 years in this defense. And that edge rusher ain't going to appear out of thin air.

by phoenixrising
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

Sack totals are way overrated. I think Fowler has been getting pretty consistent pressure, more than Clay Matthews. Tough to get to the QB when he's getting rid of the ball under 2 seconds. Wait and see if the sack totals across the line don't get better now that Peters is gone along with the soft coverage. And if you think Fowler will come cheap, guess again. I'll say over 10 mil per and probably over 12 mil per.

by R4L
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

phoenixrising wrote:Sack totals are way overrated. I think Fowler has been getting pretty consistent pressure, more than Clay Matthews. Tough to get to the QB when he's getting rid of the ball under 2 seconds. Wait and see if the sack totals across the line don't get better now that Peters is gone along with the soft coverage. And if you think Fowler will come cheap, guess again. I'll say over 10 mil per and probably over 12 mil per.

Not when that's all the guy does is rush the passer, which imo is the definition of Fowler.

I agree with cannuck with the notion that he's over paid. And I agree with slo that's he's gone next season.

by R4L
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Dick84 wrote:100% not true. He’s been very good against the run.

He’s not getting enough done in pass rush, imo, but he certainly is generating pressure.

Like I said, imo he's a one trick pony. I've barely heard his name called since the Carolina game. He decent, but not good enough to be making 12 mil. Again in my opinion.

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

R4L wrote:Like I said, imo he's a one trick pony. I've barely heard his name called since the Carolina game. He decent, but not good enough to be making 12 mil. Again in my opinion.

We have almost 2/3 of the season left. I say see what happens the rest of the way judge the whole body of work. I don't know about the numbers, but I thought he was doing ok. Maybe not worth an extension at 12 mil per year but its only one season. If he under performs we let him walk with maybe a 4th round comp pick coming our way. Someone will pay for that potential.

• 1 / 3
30 posts Apr 18 2024