19 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by sloramfan
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

ok rams fans, tell me why..

jalen ramsey is now a ram..marcus peters is not..

is that, in your opinion a bad move?

and on the cost, how many 1st round picks are equivalent to aaron donald? please enlighten me...

2 firsts?.. yes on first look, that's steep.. but would you do it for AD?.. of course you would...

is jalen ramsey AD?... probably not, but he may be a very close second..

i'll take it, and hope that, an all world, shut down corner, moves my rams up a couple of notches...

i'm thinking this move may have more positive repurcusions (spelling.. and i don't really give a shit)with this team than many are predicting..

it's becoming obvious that the rams could care less about draft picks, when you have a chance to get clearly outstanding talent ..

give me jalen ramsey and a second round pick...ALL DAY LONG...

go rams

slo

by fletch59
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   114  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

I think I would've done it regardless of cap, but I think you are correct in thinking how the cap could be increased. Peters=0 JRAM #1

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

There is no doubt the recent moves make them better in 2019. How much better remains to be seen. No first round picks for another two years. But its not like they've been counting on those picks lately. I have to wonder if they feel the offense is going to continue to struggle and they want to improve the defense to keep them in games.

by Hacksaw
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

A few weaker opponents may spell the losing and the new guys may have an impact right away. Ramsey is high 1st round talent that we have NOW. We know what we are getting. No guesswork.
And hopefully the new talent will make those traded picks bottom of the round picks.

@snackdaddy mentioned the concern over the O as a reason to bolster the D. That had to be in the conversation considering the current state of our O-line. Personally I hope they make a few more moves as Austin Corbett probably wont be enough to fix that thing.
This is our winning window and I'm sure ESK wants to sell as many PSL's and tickets as possible NOW.

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Actually, having a boatload of picks as opposed to not having any guarantees nothing. Fisher had a boatload of picks and his career culminated in 4 wins at the end. Nary a winning season. The Titans are an average team at best with the extra picks they got from us. The Browns got a lot of picks and they're struggling to have a winning season.

The Rams are using their picks to trade for proven commodities. That is not a bad plan except for the salary cap. I have a feeling Stan Kroenke would have no problem paying for top players if there was no cap. And maybe the cap goes up considerably in 2021 giving the Rams an opportunity to keep their best players.

by phoenixrising
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

sloramfan wrote:ok rams fans, tell me why..

jalen ramsey is now a ram..marcus peters is not..

is that, in your opinion a bad move?

and on the cost, how many 1st round picks are equivalent to aaron donald? please enlighten me...

2 firsts?.. yes on first look, that's steep.. but would you do it for AD?.. of course you would...

is jalen ramsey AD?... probably not, but he may be a very close second..

i'll take it, and hope that, an all world, shut down corner, moves my rams up a couple of notches...

i'm thinking this move may have more positive repurcusions (spelling.. and i don't really give a shit)with this team than many are predicting..

it's becoming obvious that the rams could care less about draft picks, when you have a chance to get clearly outstanding talent ..

give me jalen ramsey and a second round pick...ALL DAY LONG...

go rams

slo

Peters was miscast on this defense and forced the Rams to play "off" coverage. Teams are carving the Rams up throwing quickly underneath and negating what I feel is an elite pass rush.

I haven't watched a lot of Jacksonville's games, but I know Ramsey has the talent to be an elite, shut-down, take-away-half-the-field CB. I also know he hasn't always backed up his talk. If he is who the Rams thought he was (ha ha) he enables them to play tight coverage, rotate the FS over to help the other CB and keep a SS in the middle. The Rams DL gets an extra half second and it makes all the difference.

As for the compensation, the Rams care very much about draft picks. But there is an arrogance there also--that the picks will be late round also that they can find gems later in the draft. If you assume the 1st's are 20-30, two ones sounds much better than it is and allows some face-saving to teams like Jax.

Also everyone ignores the time-value of draft picks--in terms of today's value the Rams gave up approximately a (hopefully late round) 1st, a 2nd and a 5th. That is clearly not enough for a player of Ramsey's caliber IMO. The expected return from those picks is probably one good player, one contributor and one bust.

But here's what concerns me...so far the Rams have shelled out big money only to high-character guys--Whitworth, Woods, Gurley, Cooks, Donald, Goff, etc. I'm not so sure Ramsey fits that mold.

by Elvis
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

This has been the Rams MO. We gave up a 1 for Cooks at the end of his rookie deal, a 2 for Peters at the end of his, a 3 for Fowler, a 2 for Watkins and now 2 1s for Jalen. It seems counter intuitive but as long as we win, that's the only criteria that counts...

by phoenixrising
4 years 5 months ago
Veteran

snackdaddy wrote:Actually, having a boatload of picks as opposed to not having any guarantees nothing. Fisher had a boatload of picks and his career culminated in 4 wins at the end. Nary a winning season. The Titans are an average team at best with the extra picks they got from us. The Browns got a lot of picks and they're struggling to have a winning season.

Yeah, I was thinking about the Titans and how everyone said the Rams mortgaged their future for Goff. Well, where did that future get the Titans? Now they are saying it again. I don't see how acquiring an elite 24 yr old CB is mortgaging your future.

by phoenixrising
4 years 5 months ago
Veteran

Elvis wrote:This has been the Rams MO. We gave up a 1 for Cooks at the end of his rookie deal, a 2 for Peters at the end of his, a 3 for Fowler, a 2 for Watkins and now 2 1s for Jalen. It seems counter intuitive but as long as we win, that's the only criteria that counts...

So it was a 3 for Fowler? I heard some talking head saying we gave up a 1 for him and that just didn't sound right. The only one of those deals I would really regret is Peters. I'd like to keep Fowler, but Ramsey probably means he's gone next year.

by SoCalRam78
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1086  
United States of America   SoCal
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:This has been the Rams MO. We gave up a 1 for Cooks at the end of his rookie deal, a 2 for Peters at the end of his, a 3 for Fowler, a 2 for Watkins and now 2 1s for Jalen. It seems counter intuitive but as long as we win, that's the only criteria that counts...

They keep on trading picks for the same position, oh we don't like watkins, lets trade a first for Cooks

Oh, Peters isn't a long term fit, let's trade 2 firsts for Ramsey.

This isn't how you build a sustainable team.

• 1 / 2
19 posts Apr 15 2024