RAMS FANS UNITED - NEWS FLASH
GET YOUR PIKCS IN:

RFU Suicide Game

RFU Pick 5

RFU Fantasy Football (Set Your Lineup)
CLOSE
15 posts
  • 1 / 2
  • 1
  • 2
 by aeneas1
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   11364  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

if only the rams had the patriots oline!

---------------------

- left tackle: last year's starting left tackle is gone, free agency, replaced by a 2018 1st rounder who was ir'd his rookie year with 0 starts, and who is now ir'd this season as well after 2 starts - current left tackle is a 5th round journeyman on his 7th team.

- center: last year's starting center was ir'd before the start of the season, replaced by a 6th rounder with 5 nfl starts under his belt headed into this season.

- last year's starting guards and right tackle return, a 3rd, 4th and 5th rounder, all arguably jags... the right tackle hurt his shoulder in week 1 and has been battling it ever since, has been listed as questionable in 3 of the first 6 weeks.

01.png

 by AvengerRam
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3285  
 Joined:  Oct 03 2017
Israel   Longwood, FL
RFU Fantasy Football Champ

You keep making posts like this to support your apparent premise that the Rams' OL talent is adequate and that the primary problem is play calling.

While you're certainly entitled to that opinion, the Patriots' OL does not prove your point. First of all, the Patriots run blocking is poor. They are averaging only 3.5 yards per carry.

In the passing game, their degree of difficulty is much lower because pretty much no QB is able to scan through progressions and find an open guy quicker than Tom Brady.

It also does not hurt that the Pats have played teams with a combined record of 10-23 and, consequently, have been able to build a lot of early leads and dictate tempo (in the one game against a team with a winning record - the Bills - they generated 224 total yards on offense and Tom Brady had a passer rating of 45.9).

The Patriots and Rams are both middle of the pack in yards/play (Pats 5.5/17th, Rams 5.6/15th). So... in the end, I think the conclusion is that both teams have OL issues, but the Pats have been able to overcome them due to many factors other than play calling (Brady, their defense, schedule) while the Rams have struggled as a result.

 by aeneas1
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   11364  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:You'll never win by going cheap on the OL, it was all over for the Patriots when they let Solder go...

nate was so important to the pats that they replaced him with a free agent career right tackle, converted him to left tackle, and won the super bowl - and the guy parlayed his one year with the pats into the highest paid right tackle gig in the nfl... nate? how's he doing with the giants? if you believe pff he's currently the 37th best offensive tackle in the nfl, down from 5th and 11th in his final two years with the pats, go figure.

 by CanuckRightWinger
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   896  
 Joined:  Jan 13 2016
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Veteran

THE MARK OF THE FREE MIND IS THE ABILITY TO MAKE DISTINCTIONS.
-Thomas Aquinas

Pardon me whilst I make a distinction:
The Patriots veteran OLine Coach Dante Scarnecchia was a Sergeant during his 1960's College days in US Marine Corps Reserve, and evidently knows good OLine talent when he sees it, and gets his HC Bill Belichick to employ same. :idea2: :arrow2: 8-)

Our guy, Aaron Kromer gets cited by the cops and disciplined by his NFL Team of the day (the Bills), for punching his neighbour's teenager in the face because the kid allegedly used Kromer's lawn chair. :? Kromer is a salesman who sold McSnead the KoolAid about greenhorns Noteboom and Allen being capable replacements for veterans Saffold and Sullivan. :oops2:

Not only that, but Noteboom and Allen were SO FAR ALONG ON THE LEARNING//TALENT CURVE THAT THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO PLAY A DOWN IN PRESEASON. :shock2: :arrow2: :roll2:

 by actionjack
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   794  
 Joined:  May 19 2016
United States of America   Sactown
Veteran

Patriots o-line is well coached, well oiled machine, they know how to spot o-line talent. They are willing ot over pay guys. I do think this year the NE offense is showing some age

 by aeneas1
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   11364  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:THE MARK OF THE FREE MIND IS THE ABILITY TO MAKE DISTINCTIONS.
-Thomas Aquinas

Pardon me whilst I make a distinction:
The Patriots veteran OLine Coach Dante Scarnecchia was a Sergeant during his 1960's College days in US Marine Corps Reserve, and evidently knows good OLine talent when he sees it, and gets his HC Bill Belichick to employ same. :idea2: :arrow2: 8-)

Our guy, Aaron Kromer gets cited by the cops and disciplined by his NFL Team of the day (the Bills), for punching his neighbour's teenager in the face because the kid allegedly used Kromer's lawn chair. :? Kromer is a salesman who sold McSnead the KoolAid about greenhorns Noteboom and Allen being capable replacements for veterans Saffold and Sullivan. :oops2:

Not only that, but Noteboom and Allen were SO FAR ALONG ON THE LEARNING//TALENT CURVE THAT THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO PLAY A DOWN IN PRESEASON. :shock2: :arrow2: :roll2:

seasoned drill sergeant vs immature hothead requiring league discipline, i know who i would pick to lead the troops, or at least i think i do! :D

 by dieterbrock
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   10752  
 Joined:  Mar 31 2015
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:While you're certainly entitled to that opinion, the Patriots' OL does not prove your point. First of all, the Patriots run blocking is poor. They are averaging only 3.5 yards per carry.

I don't think the YPC is an indicator of poor blocking, I think its an indicator that the Patriots RB's are a collection of guys who can pass block and catch a lot of passes.
Sony Michel is driving the YPC and had only 108 yards on 45 carries (2.4 YPC) in his first 3 games, and is 55 for 240 (4.4 YPC) in his last 3 so I'd tap the brakes on any conclusions there.
New England has Scarnecchia who's the best in the business. That's the difference there. Oh yeah, and that Brady guy...
Oh and that HC might be pretty good

 by aeneas1
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   11364  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:I don't think the YPC is an indicator of poor blocking, I think its an indicator that the Patriots RB's are a collection of guys who can pass block and catch a lot of passes.
Sony Michel is driving the YPC and had only 108 yards on 45 carries (2.4 YPC) in his first 3 games, and is 55 for 240 (4.4 YPC) in his last 3 so I'd tap the brakes on any conclusions there.
New England has Scarnecchia who's the best in the business. That's the difference there. Oh yeah, and that Brady guy...
Oh and that HC might be pretty good

the last 3 super bowls the pats won they ranked 17th, 24th and 30th in rush yards per attempt, don't remember too many lamenting the shortcomings of their oline during those years?

imo you need talent everywhere, including the oline, and especially at the skill positions, but you also need talented x & o guys to put players in a position to succeed, which mcvay is struggling with this season imo, something he excelled at in 2017 and 2018 - defenses have paid attention to what he's been doing, they've learned some things, he needs to adapt, and counter.

and, yeah, fuckin' belichick and his guys are proving why they're the best in the biz, it's actually pretty damn impressive to watch, albeit painful, near tops in te targets when they reached the super bowl in 2014, 2016 and 2017, huge drop off last season as gronk struggled with health, rock bottom this year without gronk, still keep rolling along, wtf.

 by /zn/
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4601  
 Joined:  Jun 28 2015
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Pardon me whilst I make a distinction:
The Patriots veteran OLine Coach Dante Scarnecchia was a Sergeant during his 1960's College days in US Marine Corps Reserve, and evidently knows good OLine talent when he sees it, and gets his HC Bill Belichick to employ same. :idea2: :arrow2: 8-)

Our guy, Aaron Kromer gets cited by the cops and disciplined by his NFL Team of the day (the Bills), for punching his neighbour's teenager in the face because the kid allegedly used Kromer's lawn chair. :?


Kromer has a long record as a good OL coach. (Oh and btw you have the lawn chair story wrong--he acted wrongly but the kids were stealing them not "using" them, and the kid was not a neighbor).

So setting aside personal gossip and looking at the record, in spite of this year's struggles, Kromer's OLs have been ranked highly from New Orleans on. His 2009 superbowl OL consisted of one 2nd rounder, 2 4th rounders, and 2 5th rounders.

The reason Brady's OLs hold up in spite of injuries is because he is the master of the quick throw offense. Their OL fell apart in 2015 too, and the quick passing game kept them going until the playoffs--when that ended pretty quick. (DS was not their OL coach in 2015 but still the formula is the same.)

Maybe McVay and Goff should learn that trick--the quick passing game--but as for the Patz, it's not all just Dante Scarenecchia. A lot of that is Brady.


...

  • 1 / 2
  • 1
  • 2
15 posts Nov 11 2019