37 posts
  • 2 / 4
 by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I hope no one's expecting this guy to save the day. Cleveland might have the only line worse than ours and we trade for one of their backups? Sure, why not? Its not like we have any first rounders for a legit lineman.

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:

and none of those olinemen played for the browns in 2018 which was arguably the browns' best offensive season in a decade +, while many considered the browns' oline to be one of the best in 2018, go figure.

and now whining about corbett, a 2018 second round pick who apparently couldn't beat out a 6th round journeyman jag acquired in the offseason, a jag who has never been a starter, who is now on his 5th team, who was even with the rams for a cup of coffee in 2015.

by AltiTude Ram
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Maybe Kromer figures out a way to get something out of a higher draft pick.

He's not doing so well with the scrap.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

I was hoping that being picked #33 overall in 2018, the same year Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen were picked in the 3rd and 4th Rounds respectively, that maybe there was some talent to be found with Austin Corbett.....and like I posted in this thread earlier today, Corbett was rated pretty well by Draftscout.com in the run-up to the 2018 NFL Draft. Like I say, I had high hopes.....BUT,

Then I read a piece by Doug Lesmerises, Cleveland.com, where he says things about Austin Corbett like:
-a total classic Dorsey reach
-"one of the worst Browns Draft Pick whiffs of the past 20 years" :shock2:
-they (Cleveland coaches) knew that he couldn't play the first day of Browns training camp :?
-always a healthy scratch
-has played a grand total of less than 20 snaps
-"a failed College Tackle, to now failed NFL Guard"
-"was teased like a high-schooler at Browns Training Camp" :roll2:

….and it gets worse!!! :o

Here are the 5 worst-ever Browns Draft Picks according to this Doug Lesmerises guy....
5th Worst Ever...Johnny Manziel, QB, 2014 Draft, #22 overall...only 5th Worst? :shock2: :arrow2: :o
4th Worst Ever...Justin Gilbert, CB, 2014 Draft, #08 overall
3rd Worst Ever...Brian Robiskie, WR, 2009 Draft, #36 overall
2nd Worst Ever...Brady Quinn, QB, 2007 Draft, #22 overall
WORST EVER BROWNS PICK...AUSTIN CORBETT, OL, 2018 DRAFT, #33 OVERALL :shock2: :arrow2: :?
…..and NO, I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!!!
...frankly I wish I was making it up, and Corbett was being praised by the Browns Faithful lamenting his loss!

Like SoCalRam78 opined, this Corbett pickup is for the KromerCanWalkOnWater Crowd!!! :idea2: After reading the above cited Cleveland reporter's summation above, I find myself in early agreement with SoCalRam78!! :!2:

Maybe this is deja vu all over again a la Alabama OC Rams 2013 Draftee Barrett Jones, who got cut in 2015, spent time in Pittsburgh, then Chicago, then in 2016 get cut by the Eagles and is out of football. :?
To be fair, Jones had Lisfranc Injury which hobbled him early in the NFL, but he played for #1 Bama and won all the OLineman Awards including that Hitchcock Belt for best NCAA Offensive Center IIRC.....and that Jones guy was a bust.
Not sure why we spent a 5th Rounder on another project guy from Wattsamatta U in Nevada, and a second-tier program???? :? :arrow2: :roll2:
What??? Does Coach Kromer have time on his hands to tutor another basketcase??? :?2:

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

I’m surely not a fan of this move, frankly I’m ambivalent for the most part. But what I would say is that I’ll judge the player on how he performs in a Rams uniform, surely not on his Cleveland Browns career.
This is the Browns we are talking about here. It’s entirely possible they would draft a 5th round talent in the near 1st round, they are Cleveland after all.
But on the other hand, as inept as they are it wouldn’t surprise me to find that they traded a near first round talent for a 5th round pick

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

So we gave up a 5th round pick for a guy who's considered a project. If we held onto that pick and grabbed a lineman, I would think a guy drafted around 150th would likely be a project too. At least this guy was once considered to be talented enough for a top 40 pick. Nothing to lose from where I'm sitting.

by Hacksaw
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

snackdaddy wrote:So we gave up a 5th round pick for a guy who's considered a project. If we held onto that pick and grabbed a lineman, I would think a guy drafted around 150th would likely be a project too. At least this guy was once considered to be talented enough for a top 40 pick. Nothing to lose from where I'm sitting.

And he helps us NOW before it's too late.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Yeah, yeah.....any port in a storm....I get it, I get it.....BUT,

from the long-suffering Cleveland faithful, to rate the Browns' drafting of Austin Corbett,
WORSE
THAN THE
JOHNNY IEvenPoopedTheBedInMontreal,Canada! MANZIEL PICK!!! :shock2:

Holy Moley!!! :?

by Elvis
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Here's Brugler's take:

5. AUSTIN CORBETT | Nevada 6043 | 306 lbs. | rSR. Sparks, Nev. (Reed) 9/5/1995 (age 22.7) #73

BACKGROUND: A no-star offensive line recruit out of high school, Austin Corbett lettered in four sports at Reed, playing football, wrestling, basketball and track and field – earned First Team all-state honors in the shot put as a senior. He missed most of his sophomore and junior seasons in football due to injuries, but finished strong as a senior, leading the team to a regional championship in 2013. Corbett went overlooked as a recruit and didn’t receive any FBS interest, choosing to enroll at nearby Nevada and try out for the football team as a walk-on. After redshirting in 2013 behind Joel Bitonio, Corbett took over the starting left tackle duties for the departed Bitonio (35th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft) and started 12 games. He started all 13 games at left tackle as a sophomore and earned All-MWC Honorable Mention honors. Corbett started all 12 games at left tackles as a junior and earned Second Team All-MWC honors. He returned for his senior season and started all 12 games at left tackle and took home First Team All-MWC honors. Corbett accepted his invitation to the 2018 Senior Bowl.

YEAR (GP/GS)
2013: Redshirted
2014: (13/12) 12 LT
2015: (13/13) 13 LT
2016: (12/12) 12 LT
2017: (12/12) 12 LT
Total: (50/49) 49 LT
HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6043 306 33 1/8 10 1/2 78 7/8 5.15 2.96 1.76 28 08’10” 4.50 7.87 19
PRO DAY N/A (positional drills only)

STRENGTHS: Checks boxes for with his frame, arm length and hand size, carrying his 310-pounds well…introduces various hand tactics to achieve leverage and keep defenders guessing…relies on his punch/reach to initiate contact…latches on and looks to control defenders…rolls his hips at contact and runs his feet to generate power and move bodies in the run game…very smart on and off the field with the awareness to adjust on the move…enough lateral quickness to run defenders wide of the pocket…competes with NFL toughness and a finishing attitude that endears him to coaches…two-time team captain with top-notch character and leadership skills…graduated with his undergraduate degree (May 2017) and got married the next day – currently working on his master’s in biology and hopes to become an orthopedic surgeon after football…played in 50 games over his career, including 48 straight starts at left tackle.

WEAKNESSES: Plays top-heavy with excessive forward lean…bad habit of over-setting in pass protection, falling off blocks…tight-hipped and lacks ideal body control to counter athletic rushers…struggles to reset and sink if he doesn’t land his initial punch…not a poor athlete, but not explosive either with minimal room for error in his steps…technique tends to break down vs. speed…excellent vision can be negated when he ducks his head and loses sight of the target…played both left and right tackle in college, but inexperienced inside at guard or center.

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Nevada, Corbett was a mainstay at left tackle for the Wolfpack, earning All-Conference honors the last three years. A two-year team captain, he has the professional make-up and mature leadership traits ready for a NFL locker room. While there are some questions about his inline power, Corbett is a technician in pass pro and as a run blocker, displaying violent hands – and better yet, he understands how to use them. His athleticism is best described as average with hip tightness that hurt his recovery skills, but his high intelligence helps mask those issues. Overall, Corbett played exclusively on the edges in college, but his pedigree and skill-set are ideally suited inside at center or guard where he projects as a long-term NFL starter.

GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (#74 overall)

• 2 / 4
37 posts Apr 16 2024