25 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by Indrid Cold
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

AvengerRam wrote:Not at all. We'll have draft choices next year and going forward. We'll have cap room next year (Whitworth, Talib, Brockers and possibly Fowler come off the books). The point is, we need to refocus these resources on the trenches, primarily the OL.

The cap room assumption is a little flawed. If everyone was "flat" year-to-year, then subtractions ("off the books") would create room. But that's not how it's set up for 2020. The Rams have parked Goff's and Gurley's highest cap number (and Donald's 2nd highest) in 2020. Cooks is pretty high too. Spotrac has us at $35M of space next year. And there's 7 of 22 starters without a contract: Whit, Blythe, Brockers, Littleton, Fowler, Peters, and Talib. Considering you need $5M or so for rookies, $30M of space buys you about 2.5 good players. (Tag Fowler and sign Littleton at $10M/yr and they're about done.) The cap could go much higher than Spotrac's $200M projection if there's a new CBA or it could be an uncapped year if there isn't. So the available space could get a lot bigger. But at present, it doesn't look like the Rams will be big players in FA next year.

Williams would help next year, but it seems too late this year for a guy who hasn't practiced at all. And he doesn't play G to my knowledge, so you're adding in a position move for someone else.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Indrid Cold wrote:The cap room assumption is a little flawed. If everyone was "flat" year-to-year, then subtractions ("off the books") would create room. But that's not how it's set up for 2020. The Rams have parked Goff's and Gurley's highest cap number (and Donald's 2nd highest) in 2020. Cooks is pretty high too. Spotrac has us at $35M of space next year. And there's 7 of 22 starters without a contract: Whit, Blythe, Brockers, Littleton, Fowler, Peters, and Talib. Considering you need $5M or so for rookies, $30M of space buys you about 2.5 good players. (Tag Fowler and sign Littleton at $10M/yr and they're about done.) The cap could go much higher than Spotrac's $200M projection if there's a new CBA or it could be an uncapped year if there isn't. So the available space could get a lot bigger. But at present, it doesn't look like the Rams will be big players in FA next year.

Williams would help next year, but it seems too late this year for a guy who hasn't practiced at all. And he doesn't play G to my knowledge, so you're adding in a position move for someone else.

The first part of that was the point I was trying to make about the TG trade freeing up additional cap space immediately and going forward. Even though Williams is a tackle, I still think he would be added to the OL. Perhaps it would be Blythe to LG, Williams to RT, Hav to RG. Or whit moves to RT. Not ideal but at least takes the weak link Denby off the line. As is sits, me thinks Edwards will replace Denby sooner rather than later.

by AvengerRam
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Indrid Cold wrote:The cap room assumption is a little flawed. If everyone was "flat" year-to-year, then subtractions ("off the books") would create room. But that's not how it's set up for 2020. The Rams have parked Goff's and Gurley's highest cap number (and Donald's 2nd highest) in 2020. Cooks is pretty high too. Spotrac has us at $35M of space next year. And there's 7 of 22 starters without a contract: Whit, Blythe, Brockers, Littleton, Fowler, Peters, and Talib. Considering you need $5M or so for rookies, $30M of space buys you about 2.5 good players. (Tag Fowler and sign Littleton at $10M/yr and they're about done.) The cap could go much higher than Spotrac's $200M projection if there's a new CBA or it could be an uncapped year if there isn't. So the available space could get a lot bigger. But at present, it doesn't look like the Rams will be big players in FA next year.

As you said, the cap will go up. The Rams can also restructure to add space.

The main focus, however, should be the draft. With Whit retiring and Noteboom set back in a big way by his injury, I’d put good money on LT being the target for Round 1.

Williams has played OG, but if the Rams were to acquire him, I’d expect guard to be a short term role and for him to be Whit’s replacement in 2020.

by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

We absolutely need to invest in the line when the draft comes around. Maybe there is a cornerstone left tackle out there? But in reality, while it would be a good long term investment it likely won't yield any short term results. How many rookie left tackles play at a high level in their first year? It usually takes a year or two. Do we already think about a little bit a rebuild? Take a step back and maybe think about a couple years down the road? Goff is not the kind of QB that can overcome a weak line. He needs the protection.

by AvengerRam
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:We absolutely need to invest in the line when the draft comes around. Maybe there is a cornerstone left tackle out there? But in reality, while it would be a good long term investment it likely won't yield any short term results. How many rookie left tackles play at a high level in their first year? It usually takes a year or two. Do we already think about a little bit a rebuild? Take a step back and maybe think about a couple years down the road? Goff is not the kind of QB that can overcome a weak line. He needs the protection.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I have seen many LTs come in as rookies and perform very well. I think one of the keys in that regard is to select guys from the right programs. It seems to me that a lot of the OL busts are either (1) guys who played in spread-type offenses in which OL don't have the same types of responsibilities that they have in the pros, or (2) OL from elite programs (i.e. Alabama) that have such a talent advantage at the skill spots that mediocre OL look better than they really are.

Give me a top guy (as opposed to a mid-rounder, who's going to be more hit and miss) from Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Michigan, Stanford, Iowa, Michigan State, Texas, Florida, UCLA or Miami, and I think you can turn around an OL pretty quickly.

• 3 / 3
25 posts Apr 19 2024