9 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by ramsrams
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

Can anyone explain the basics for us not in the loop?

Drop 10 yards on third and six and let the TE catch it in a wide open field all day long?

To this untrained eye, that seems counterproductive.

What am I missing?

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8516  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

If you post video, I will break it down for you as best I can - not knowing the actual play call. Zone coverage is harder than man from a coordinating players standpoint. And, there are always holes in any zone coverage. The key is the pressure - not giving the QB time to see/anticipate the holes and receivers coming into them. If it was cover 2, there is a gap between the rush and the dropping mike backer. In 3 the outside backers or nickel/dime defenders typically have the hook/curl area. But, and here is the hard part, the underneath defenders have to determine if they have another receiver coming into their zone as one is leaving it. Normally, you can read this by alignment and receiver release. If there is no one coming then they convert to man so to speak and stay with that original receiver through their zone. You can see how this can get confusing at full speed. If the QB has time, it won’t matter bc someone is going to find the hole in a zone and stop their route and essentially be wide open. Kittle did that at least twice. And Godwin/Pettis did once or twice as well.

If I see the vid I can make a pretty good guess at the coverage and what went wrong.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago

Also, in zone you do drop deeper than the sticks at times and try to force an underneath catch then tackle before the get the line to gain. That too is a precise dance; too deep and they get the first, too shallow and you give up a much bigger gain behind/over top of you and grant the receiver open field

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago

Lastly, defenders don’t line up in their zone. They drop or move to is so as to disguise what they are doing in coverage. That too has to be very precise and is quite easy to mess up.

by ramsrams
4 years 6 months ago
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

Yeah, I know all that. I was talking about Kittle.

But hell yes, 34 is going to be a Dad!

Makes me very happy. Think I speak for all those normals ( shudder at that word, but right now can’t think of a better one)
from the RamStalk days when we wish nothing but health and happiness for the new family!

One of my fave posters, even if he likes country music!

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago

34 IS a dad. Mia Elina was born last Wednesday. Sadly, in San Fran.

I am sorry to explain zone D. Thought that’s what you were asking. Kittle, Pettis, etc. doesn’t matter who is winning against Zone. But to you point, I would have played a hybrid Zone with Man on Kittle every 3rd down. But that’s just me.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago

yes I do like country, but I am a hard rock / metal head at heart. And Thanks for the kindness my brother!!

by ramsrams
4 years 6 months ago
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

ramsman34 wrote:34 IS a dad. Mia Elina was born last Wednesday. Sadly, in San Fran.

I am sorry to explain zone D. Thought that’s what you were asking. Kittle, Pettis, etc. doesn’t matter who is winning against Zone. But to you point, I would have played a hybrid Zone with Man on Kittle every 3rd down. But that’s just me.

Congrats. I am lighting a cigar, figuratively. Do people still do that?

Yup, you had to man Kittle up. That doesn’t take a genius. Perfect guy in Rapp, but that wasn’t meant to be. JJ could have done it, too.

Unsure of what Wade is thinking these days, though overall he brought his team to play yesterday.

Should have been enough to win.

It wasn’t.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago

ramsrams wrote:Congrats. I am lighting a cigar, figuratively. Do people still do that?

Yup, you had to man Kittle up. That doesn’t take a genius. Perfect guy in Rapp, but that wasn’t meant to be. JJ could have done it, too.

Unsure of what Wade is thinking these days, though overall he brought his team to play yesterday.

Should have been enough to win.

It wasn’t.

Spot on. I would have had Rapp on him manned up all game. Reduces some blitz opps. But so what.

And IdK about the cigar action these days. Lol. Thanks again man!

• 1 / 1
9 posts Apr 16 2024